Do you interpret characters differently from canon?

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AlternativeCharacterInterpretation
For those that didn't want to read or anything, alternate character interpretation is when people interpret a character differently from canon. Like how people interpret Waluigi as a deeply lonely character or how People interpret Ashley as being cuter then she actually is. Basically people tend to interpet characters differently then what canon suggests, as for reasons why? It could either be that the canonical personality sucks, or to explore a character that hasn't gotten much development, or it's to give personality and depth to a character that didn't have it to begin with. So basically do you tend to interpret characters differently then how canon interprets them and if so, what are these characters? For me? Well

I tend to interpret several Warioware characters pretty differently from the canon source.
Here are three notable ones though.

Mona
Canon interpretation: She is a spunky and outgoing teenager with a bit of a tomboyish side.
My interpretation: She is a badass and spunky biker girl, who never gets along with the law.

Ashley
Canon interpretation: An aloof and mostly unemotional witch who wants power and respect. She is lonely underneath though and tends to desire friends.
My interpretation: An aloof and misunderstood witch who has some pretty creepy interests, but she tends to have a good heart despite it. She tends to keep her cool even in the worst of situations and she is not very easy to anger, (Mona is much easier to anger then Ashley in my interpretation.) but if you do piss her off badly, then you're in for a true scare.

Wario
Canon interpretation: a greedy and somewhat dimwitted guy who loves treasure hunting and eating.
My interpretation: a badass treasure hunter, who is always determined to get what he wants, no matter what is in front of him. It doesn't matter what obstacles await him, he'll just shoulder bash them out of the way. And keep moving, while Wario is much more intelligent then he looks, his pride and ego tends to make him do stupid things at times, which often times causes him to fail most of the time. (Sometimes it works out though.)

And here's Sonic because why the hell not.
Sonic
Canon interpretation: a laidback guy who's a little snarky. But is very goodhearted and is typically friendly with anyone, even his enemies.
My interpretation: a somewhat aloof and cocky hedgehog who does not get along with people very well. He is very impatient at times, and is always waiting for the next challenge, despite his cocky and sometimes jerkass nature though, he has a heart of gold, and is always willing to sacrifice himself for the sake of others.

So that's my interpretations for these characters. (Though when I do think of canon, I do respect their canonical personalities.) And as you can tell, they are pretty different from the way canon handles them. They aren't better in anyway, they're just my personal interpretations. So now i want to know, do you interpret characters differently then how canon interprets them? and if so, what are they? It can be from a movie, tv show, book, game or any form of media you could think of. (Hell even a character from a song would count.) So comment away everyone!!!!

Last edited:
No, I don't usually. I want everyone to view Ashley the same way, her canon way. Not this "She's actually caring" which would branch out so many Fanfics of her being...nice, to others.

If she actually had a good heart, I wouldn't like Ashley. (Edit : Or, I'd still like her, but probably not as much.)

Last edited:
I reject all canonicity and make up my own canon of characters being the opposite of what they are like in the original canon.

I think devil is a cute anime girl that waits for her husband in the castle.
Debiru.png

Often times, the story that we get the characters we like from will deviate from the character a bit with the character. I mean like, every now and then theyll slip a bit from the character thats already been established in order to bring in something new about them.

And like, many people will embrace the new additions to the character, while others will hold to what they loved about the character to begin with. And through that we can find different variations of characters we know.

It kinda makes me think of Lisa Simpson from the Simpsons, when the show began she was a caring sister who loved music and really just cared about doing whats right, but as the show went on she went all over the place, became a vegan/vegetarian and became an enemy of anyone who ate meat, started practicing Buddhism and other things. While many people might like those new additions, I always liked her for what she was when the show began, and found those additions to be completely pointless :p

And do I ever do this with characters I like? I dont think so? But I often focus on parts of a character I like more than others, and through that I often find myself not liking others interpretations of the same character, haha.

My interpretation: She is a badass and spunky biker girl, who never gets along with the law.
Well, she is a bit like this in the first game at least. She ditched an entire police force only because she drove too fast. In every other game since then she appearently became a nice girl. Mona even caught criminals in the latest game.

When I was a kid and didn't know Wario's backstory, I assumed he was just a transformation of Mario, in like a Dr. Jekyl Mr. Hyde sort of way. I usually fill in a character's backstory with my imagination if I'm not familiar with them... and then am disappointed when their real backstory/personality is nothing like I imagined it would be.

My current headcanon for Wario is that he was a lazy nobody that was jealous of Super Mario's fame and fortune, so he started dressing like him, thinking that he could pull off this whole "Super" thing himself. How hard could it be, right? Little did Wario know that he would never take off quite the way Mario did, being seen in the public eye as nothing more than a sweaty, hamfisted knockoff. Luckily for Wario, he eventually came into his own with other get-rich-quick schemes such as treasure hunting and microgame development. He still retains the hat and overalls from his Mario-impersonation days however, partially as a fond memento of that point in his career, and partially because he's too cheap to waste money on a new set of clothes.

Last edited:
I interpreted Mona to be an adult (at least 25), rather than a high-school girl.

Other than that? Hm...
Well, obviously I didn't see Wario as a fat-guy-stereotype, but that was before he became one, of course.

I believe Waluigi is considered very handsome by the standards of the Mario universe but doesn't get any girlfriends because the ladies don't like his behaviour.
Waluigi on the other hand (who is in my eyes actually a nice guy) acts like this because he believes that this ¨bad boy¨ attitude makes him more attractive.

I try not to. But when a character has little to no personality I might try to theorize a more fleshed out version of them based on things I know about the character and the series. But I don't want to pull everything out of my ass. It's gotta sound reasonable.

I remember headcannon Wart as Wario and Waluigi's main antagonist and that Waluigi already appeared in the Wario Land games, but that was when I used to only watch internet flash parodies.

I think the character is a separate entity from their world and story. Look at all the characters who have been reinterpreted again and again by different authors within their series. Wario himself is a perfect example. Look at how he started, and how he was changed by different creators over the years.
A character is simply a vessel to be used in any way we see fit, and whether it's canonical or not doesn't mean a thing. Look at all the supporters of "Project M" or "Another Metroid II Remake"...

Back