Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Wario Land 4

Votes: 9 33.3%
  • Wario Land Shake It

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Othr

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters
For me it's a toss up between Wario Land 1,2, and 3. They all have something about then that makes it hard to choose.

One has a pirate theme to it, and it's fun to find all of the treasures and get the best ending.

Two has the different story paths.

And three has a more open world to play through. Plus like two it has the "Can't die" thing.

I'm replaying Wario Land II after 10 years of not having touched it. I'll post my in-depth impressions when I'm done.

Note that by "in-depth", I mean "incoherent, inane observations on minute aspects" but anyway…

*I liked how some levels were ended by doing an action option (destroying an object, flipping a switch... etc) rather than just going through a door. It's the kind of little touch that makes the game feel like a, well, adventure.

*I also liked how collecting coins was tied into the 100% item collection aspect. After playing modern platformers that throw ressources at you like 1923 marks, it's refreshing to have something resembling a risk/reward mechanic, even if only marginally.

*-but I'm not sure about how the 100% completion elements were implemented. It seems a bit artificial.

Like, in Metroid, by exploring the map beyond the confines in the main path and using your abilities, you get awarded with upgrades to your arsenal. In Wing Commander, going above and beyond the call during missions nets you medals and additional praise during the debriefing sequences. These incitatives for more dedicated players are a natural extension of what you do for most of the game and thus feel organic.

By contrast, WLII's, collecting treasures and map pieces is done by playing guessing minigames. Considering the game's more exploratory and puzzle-oriented nature, I think it would have been better to have the items hidden in the levels and you need to pay up to unlock the treasure chest containing them or something. I guess finding the treasure doors is supposed to act as a puzzle, but a lot of the doors are in plain sight and are only "hidden" because they're not distinguished from the other doors that lead to other parts of the level. This is something Wario Land III improved on, though it didn't escape the issue completely what's with the golf minigame.

I'm going to have to go with Wario Land 2. It holds the most nostalgia for me, even though 3 is more technically impressive.

I like the more "open" feel 3 gives. You could do some levels in any order you want, and there were even some levels you probably only find after defeating Rudy (In my first playthrough, I dind't know you could get to Forest of Fears, The Void and Over the Clouds before defeating Rudy, so it has a nice surprise to find other levels I dind't know about. ) And you could also do time trials for the levels.

It's a hard choice between 3 and 4. I think 3 had the superior gameplay-- big open world, tons of levels, non-linear metroidvania-styled, more puzzle-based gameplay and reliance on transformations... plus a day-night system in a 2d platformer? It's packed with content for a 2d platformer and imo one of the best 2d platformers in existence. The only beef I have with 3 is that some of the later levels aren't varied enough. Seriously, how many crater/canyon levels are in that game?

But 4 has like... more 'attitude', and was the first game imo to establish the Wario 'feel'. Everything was spunky yet bizarre, from the music to the enemy designs. Wario lived in the city, drove a Cadillac(?), and had voice acting, so the game helped develop Wario's character greatly. Plus the graphics and environments were all unique and pretty.

If there was a Wario game that had the gameplay of 3 coupled with the graphics, music, and 'attitude' of 4, I think it would be the ideal Wario game.

I've played all of them except the Virtual Boy one, and from what I heard, that one is very similar to the first one which is probably my least favorite in the series. I think WL3 is probably my personal favorite just because I love how epic it is and how it's completely open-ended. You can finish it in any way you want, and I just love the Metroidvania style exploration. WL4 has the best music of the series, and I think WL2 should get credit for having branching paths. All in all, it truly is one of the best and most underrated 2-D platforming series ever.

Ive only played WL4 fully, and enough to actually appreciate it. I played one in my younger days, but I dont remember it enough to have an opinion : p

So posting here might seem like a dumb thing to do, but I can talk about what I liked about WL4, since I beat it and really liked it : 3

I really liked the feeling of the game, like mentioned above, it really had a far out, bizzare, and all around unique feeling to it. The sounds they used for it were neat and sometimes even borderline "dark and mysterious", the designs they used were often far out and way cool, I liked the psychedelic affects the game had, accompanied by the weird sounds that came with them. And the text they used, the music they used (like in the minigame room with the tv faces, I thought that was way cool) It really sets the game apart from the general "cutesy" path that like every other platformer takes. Its really a cool game because of this, it has an attitude that other games dont have that makes it its own game. I also really liked the transformations in WL4, I thought they were way fun and creative, and also set Wario Land apart from other platformers : p Though Ive found out that they arent actually from WL4, but it still makes the game special :3

I also liked the multiple paths you can take, and how each one kinda had a theme to it. Its not totally exclusive to Wario, but it was way cool and fun.

From what Ive learned from talking to others about it, I think WL3 will end up being my favorite WL game. But I really enjoyed WL4 a bunch, and Im sure it will keep a special place for me.

Suprised I never said anything here.

My favorite of the Wario plattformers and my favorite Wario game in general is Wario Land 3, I think it has some of the most clever puzzles in the entire series, I love the Metroidvania approach and the way you uncover more and more of each level depending on what moves you gain or what treasures you find. I also think that the levels themselves do a good job of having their own identity and sticking out, even if there are several levels that share the same basic trope.

My only real gripe with the game is the Golf minigame, which I enjoy on it's own, but the amount of times you have to play it do make it rather tiring. Outside of that I do absolutely adore the game and it's the one game that I can in good conscience consider my favorite game of all time.

It's between 2 and 4 for me. I liked 3 but I feel 2 handled the formula much better and you had all your abilities right from the start so it didn't confuse me. Really if anything I feel like I got lost more in 3 and can't say I liked the Golf Minigame. ((There is a reason it's listed on TVTropes as the game's "scrappy mechanic".))

Wario Land 4 was the first of the series I played and playing through it again and fully I feel I somehow appreciate it more. Really made me feel good about myself grabbing as much shiny crap as possible along with it's appealing art and sound design. ((The Sound Effects still sound awesome to this day IMO)) I still enjoy just replaying the levels to mess around with them if I don't restart my save file.

Last edited:
Definitely WL4. Everything about it is great, such as level design, level variety, sound effects, bosses etc.
It helps that it was my first WL game. If there's anything I don't like about WL4, it's the bosses not getting any more difficult on harder difficulties; only the timer changes.

Wario Land 4, no doubt! But that doesn't mean Wario Land 1 to 3 and VB Wario Land are bad, it's a tight lead, as each game has its own little gimmicks.

Wario Land SML3 is closer to Super Mario Bros and it works really well;

VB Wario Land has outstanding controls and great graphics, although red and black, sadly;

Wario Land II introduces the transformations and makes it a big focus on the gameplay;

Wario Land 3 has the branching levels and multiple exits in all levels, making the gameplay new, even when recycling levels;

Wario Land 4 is overall wonderful, seems short, but the added 3 levels of difficulty make the game longer, the graphics are perfect for GBA, music and sound effects are goofy, crazy and upbeat and the controls are smoother than ever, and adding the new gameplay style of escaping the level, the games gets it all right;

Wario Land Shake it is good, and it definitely wins with the hand drawn graphics and the music, but the controls feel too stiff compared to Wario Land 4 and it doesn't really bring anything new to the table, so I'd have to say it may be the worst of them, next to Wario Land SML3, but it's still a gem worth playing!

I'm surprised this thread isn't popular. I can't possibly pin down a favourite in the venerable Wario Land series. BlueJack had the right idea of listing each title. They're all unique, with not a bad game in the bunch.

Anyway, you've probably noticed I always defend Wario Land: The Shake Dimension. One of the key reasons is, I think it has really, really underrated level design.

Every Wario Land brought something new to the table, and Shake Dimension was no exception. Any man and his dog can clear the levels casually, however, if you burrow into the meat of the game and try to accomplish the countless "missions", you realise just how much depth and complexity they built into everything.
It forces you to look at levels in multiple perspectives and think about how many missions/treasures you can knock off in one visit. This gives you an actual reason to return to levels and have more fun with them. The designers didn't slack off.

Combine that with all the escape time records, no damage missions, and everything else... whoa, mama! This game has more replay value than just about any platformer I've ever played. It truly deserved some actual love and attention back in 2008. If you like Wii games, give it a chance!! It's a true work of beauty.

302808-wario_land_shake_it__040.jpg
800px-Wlsi_shake_dimension_map.jpg

I'm surprised this thread isn't popular. I can't possibly pin down a favourite in the venerable Wario Land series. BlueJack had the right idea of listing each title. They're all unique, with not a bad game in the bunch.

Anyway, you've probably noticed I always defend Wario Land: The Shake Dimension. One of the key reasons is, I think it has really, really underrated level design.

Every Wario Land brought something new to the table, and Shake Dimension was no exception. Any man and his dog can clear the levels casually, however, if you burrow into the meat of the game and try to accomplish the countless "missions", you realise just how much depth and complexity they built into everything.
It forces you to look at levels in multiple perspectives and think about how many missions/treasures you can knock off in one visit. This gives you an actual reason to return to levels and have more fun with them. The designers didn't slack off.

Combine that with all the escape time records, no damage missions, and everything else... whoa, mama! This game has more replay value than just about any platformer I've ever played. It truly deserved some actual love and attention back in 2008. If you like Wii games, give it a chance!! It's a true work of beauty.

302808-wario_land_shake_it__040.jpg
800px-Wlsi_shake_dimension_map.jpg

Oh, yeah! I actually forgot about the missions! I do love this game, btw! But I wouldn't place it as best.

True, Wario Land Shake it needs more love. However with that said, there were a few missions that were kind of tedious and the slow water subwarine levels were kind of boring. One of the water levels has such a brilliant song though.

If somebody slammed my fingers in a car door and forced me to name a "best" Wario Land, it would not be Shake Dimension. Here's what I didn't like about it....

*The horrible subwarine controls, and the lack of underwater swimming. (The lack of swimming was because of animation limitations, however. It's not so bad)

*Far too many harmless Wandering Gooms (Bandineros) in the levels. The game barely uses the dangerous enemies, like the little pirates with swords that chase you.

*Trying to get the highest possible money record in each level becomes VERY hard. A lot of money bags can't be taken to a safe place to shake and grab all the coins.

*The environments were more generic compared to previous games, but they were still breathtaking. I absolutely love the soundtrack. Some people say the soundtrack doesn't sound like Wario Land, however they seem to forget that Wario Land 4 didn't sound like previous Wario Land games either.

Last edited:
If somebody slammed my fingers in a car door and forced me to name a "best" Wario Land, it would not be Shake Dimension. Here's what I didn't like about it....

Haha, I hate it when that happens. When I say WL4, they stare at me and then say "me too" and proceed to apologize.

It has been a good while since I played Shake It, so it isn't as easy to remember its good points and bad points. I can understand the shaking criticism, although that was something I personally didn't mind and even liked sometimes. The music was fantastic, I never see anyone mention it when it comes to VGM outside of here, so yes it's definitely underrated.

.....Now I feel like playing it.

Haha, I hate it when that happens. When I say WL4, they stare at me and then say "me too" and proceed to apologize.

It has been a good while since I played Shake It, so it isn't as easy to remember its good points and bad points. I can understand the shaking criticism, although that was something I personally didn't mind and even liked sometimes. The music was fantastic, I never see anyone mention it when it comes to VGM outside of here, so yes it's definitely underrated.

.....Now I feel like playing it.

Well, bust it out and dive in! I really liked the shake controls when I first played it - especially raising and dropping the wiimote to slam the ground. Made it feel all the more powerful, and I always got too enthusiastic. Heh.

People are far too nitpicky and hard on this game. We are so damn lucky that we even got another Wario Land game to begin with, let alone on a home console! And with so much love, care and beauty crammed into it.

Last edited:
Well, bust it out and dive in! I really liked the shake controls when I first played it - especially raising and dropping the wiimote to slam the ground. Made it feel all the more powerful, and I always got too enthusiastic. Heh.

People are far too nitpicky and hard on this game. We are so damn lucky that we even got another Wario Land game to begin with, let alone on a home console! And with so much love, care and beauty crammed into it.
Yep, that's why I liked the shaking! To be fair, I can get a bit nitpicky at times, and it's been 8 years now. Has Nintendo officially dropped Wario Land for good? I certainly hope not. :(
Guests who are reading this should look into it. I think it's on the eshop now.

Back