General Gaming social thread

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
With the rerelease of tales of vesperia, Im seeing alot of people post online about how its the "greatest tales of game ever" and Im kinda surprised about it

I know that anytime someone likes an older game better that they just have "nostalgia" goggles or whatever, but I remember playing this game being super psyched about it when it came out, and by the end being somewhat dissapointed.

I actually played tales of the abyss AFTER vesperia, and I liked abyss a ton, moreso than vesperia. Ita close to ToS imo

I know most people will just accuse me of "nostalgia", but I never felt that ToV was a super strong game. Its a good game, and I really like it. But I feel the whole " best tales game" is just hype over the rerelease/ kids whoa first jrpg was ToV

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
My game store, where I get all my used retro games, has shut down : (

I may have to start buying all my games online, which means Ill have to spend alot more money on them : (

Am kinda sad. Hope I can find a new good place to buy games from.

Shoonsh

Your shy friend
Coins
Coins
Teddy Bear An Item Teddy Bear
Got Kirby Star Allies today. Always wanted to understand the appeal of this franchise.
I guess I started to.
Not sure if that's why everyone else likes it, but it's just so cute and vivid and stylish! And how it's designed not to be constant action and movement ;w; Also returning of the major characters is a big deal. What a nice way to treat the game's legacy. Cool.
I only got to Planet Popstar in one session, but I already adore its atmosphere abd relaxing gameplay.

MonaWare

Sewn to our side
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
User Name Style Change
Ive been playing mass effect 2 lately.

One thing I often see people say of this game is that its a "piece of art"

Im only ten hours into the game so far, but I feel like people use this term for video games too liberally. I mean with this game, its fun. But its not like beautiful, or inspiring, or thought provoking or like emotionally charged in a way that most other action rpgs are. I might agree on an asthetic level, but Id say that title shoulr go to the first one though. It was pretty unique for its time, where they kinda made the second one gritty, which has been the style of most games for the past ten years or so.

Ive always thought it was dumb to say a videogame could never be art, but Ive also always hated it when people call every game they play art. Not every game is art. Sometimes a game is just a game, using general mechanics to make something people will buy.

I think calling a game art should mean theres something special to it, more than "lotsa fun", like driving is fun but its not art.

Would like to hear others opinions on the subject.