How could Nintendo 'revive' the Wario Land series?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Because for a while now, the series has kind of struggled to sell or really get going. Wario World was okay, but didn't exactly set the world on fire. Master of Disguise was a title that only managed to get a few hardcore fans interested (and which critics absolutely panned in general). And Shake It, despite decent reviews, didn't really sell that great nor inspire the fanbase as much as 3 or 4 did.

So let's just say Nintendo decide to give the series one more chance to hit it big. Let's say they want the Wario Land equivalent of Fire Emblem Awakening.

What could they do? How could they make a game so successful that Wario Land basically becomes a household name?

My thoughts are in the next post!

Here's what I think they could do:

1. Establish a consistent 'verse' for the Wario Land series, with familiar characters, enemies, bosses, items and other elements that don't change from game to game. The biggest problem with Wario as a series (in my opinion) is probably that there's no supporting cast for anyone to get attached to, nor much consistency between titles. So a new game should set up this supporting cast (with Captain Syrup playing a major role) and treat it like a foundation for other future Wario games to build on.

2. Treat the transformations from 2-4 as the main power ups. The hats were nice and the Shake It style machines were okay, but the transformations are the one thing people distinctly remember about the Wario Land series. Time to bring them back to the forefront.

3. Leave out the gimmicks and go back to a 2D platformer setup. Master of Disguise and Shake It were basically killed by poorly done gimmicks, and World's 3D gameplay seems like something better suited for spinoffs.

4. Nail the soundtrack. Again, since Master of Disguise (or maybe World) it's felt like the soundtrack has always been a bit more mixed in quality compared to the older games. All the games have amazing songs in them, it's just that Master of Disguise and Shake It seem to have about as many forgettable tunes as well. So get a good soundtrack, even if that means calling on some professional help (like David Wise or Grant Kirkhope).

5. Make sure Wario's strength and nigh invulnerability is heavily focused on again. Yeah, a health bar probably does seem better than complete invincibility now, but they should still make sure that enemies can't damage Wario merely by touching him (unless they've got spikes), that bottomless pits and instant kill hazards are non existent and that Wario feels like a badass when you're controlling him.

6. Advertise the hell out of the game. Treat it like you do Mario or Zelda, complete with (well done) TV commercials, film commercials, online ads, a Nintendo Direct, etc. Make this the big game of the year.

7. Try and tie it into Super Smash Bros. As in, demand Sakurai include content from the new game in Smash, and change his moveset to match the new game. Make it so Smash players wonder why Wario is like this now, to encourage them to pick up the new game.

So yeah, that's what I think they should do.

It can sell, people love it but its no Mario or Zelda and without Yokoi Miyamoto probably doesn't want Wario around, but if they want it to be revived make an damn game and advertise it god damnit. Not that Wii music crap again.

Trying to reach out to the mainstream audience by advertising it and highlighting just what makes Wario Land unique and not ''just a Mario game, but with Wario'' like some might suspect by just hearing the title would be the way to go.

While I don't think that it's going to help that much having content from a new game in other Nintendo titles like you usually see with big releases wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Wario Land even with Shake It, has proven itself to be a reliable seller, even if it won't do Mario numbers, but above all else Nintendo needs to show off, do and highlight things that get the attention of the typical average joe and not just people who happen to remember the series and stuff like estaplishing a more defined and consistend verse are something that fans would like, but won't help the series grow.

Nintendo's developers are creatives. Game development within their core studios is driven by new and "fun" gameplay ideas more so than anything else. If they have a good idea which can stand by itself, then they'll look for an existing IP to act as the contextual wrapper to help ease the players into the new gameplay concept. And if they can't find a suitable existing IP, they'll make a new one, e.g. Splatoon. The revival of Wario, Kid Icarus, etc. etc is all dependent on this creative process. If Nintendo's developers can come up with a new idea that fits the Wario Land series, then it'll happen. I think this is probably the best outcome too. I'd much rather they come to the table with something fresh than develop a new game for the sake of a new game existing.

I just hope they remember to give the Wario series a consideration since like maybe a couple others but I feel like Captain Toad was a missed opportunity to include Wario into something new but not entirely new. It might not have been made much of a difference but it would've made for a cool and fitting shout out.

I've always wanted one grand, epic package that celebrates Wario's legacy (outside WarioWare), and highlights all his past roles, adventures and antagonists he's encountered. Mix up the platforming with creative and unique sections of gameplay. For instance, there could be a "side chapter" involving Wario ridding his castle forest of Gooms and other critters, in a style reminiscent of Wario's Woods (only more action-driven). It would add a huge element of variety and replay value.

Or a 2D Metroidvania type treasure hunting game.
I second that idea, having a huge cavern/palace/pyramid/castle or anything to explore and collect treasures and power ups to enter new locations like in Wario Land 3 in Metroid style would be amazing, about the GTA Wario, that sounds interesting, but not sure how that would work.

I second that idea, having a huge cavern/palace/pyramid/castle or anything to explore and collect treasures and power ups to enter new locations like in Wario Land 3 in Metroid style would be amazing, about the GTA Wario, that sounds interesting, but not sure how that would work.

I'd be fine with a 'Metroidvania' style too, however I don't want the game to be filled with lots of long, boring passages littered with easy-to-kill enemies. That was the only gripe I ever had with those particular Castlevania titles. It made getting from place to place a real chore.

A GTA like Wario game would be interesting to say the least.

Not sure how much Nintendo would love to release a game with Wario beating the crap out of random pedestrians and Diamond City folk though.

What Koopaul said about a 2D Metroidvania game. There could be lots of treasure chests lying around where some of them can't be gotten until you've gotten certain moves or abilites that allow you to reach them. For example, Wario could start without his shoulder dash and when he gets it later, allow new places to be accessed. It would work really well for Wario. It would be like one gigantic level where different parts of the level has different themes.

They need to make an iPhone game, seeing as Wario has always been at home as a portable game series. Not some runner game like Super Mario Run, which I think for Nintendo was a step backwards. They need to make a real platformer with real control of direction, and preferably, no buttons plastered on the screen. A unique set of controls based on gestures would go a long way. The iPhone would certainly provide the platform that would reach out to a lot of people. But another problem is making Wario as a character likeable to casual gamers. The first step is to get rid of the "gross wario". I just read the translations to the jp warioware manual, and the focus on toilet humor I doubt anyone could find funny. Certainly he could never be taken seriously as a character if his story revolved around fart jokes. Wario is best left as a brute who does what he wants and is determined to get his money back or find the treasure. Wario as an explorer is an appealing character design, I really liked it when Wario had the explorer helmet in Virtual Boy Wario Land. Wario is also defined by his character flaws, and the gameplay reflects that. I like to think of Wario as making a lot of mistakes, but managing to be cool even when making a mistake: "Wario got infected by a zombie! But hold on, it just opened a new area! Cool!". I think this lack of death where death would normally occur is one of the biggest strengths of the series, and needs to be taken to its full potential in a new game. It encourages discovery and forgives mistakes. The transformation system makes enemies a helpful or harmful thing depending on the situation. Wario Land Shake It did not take these mechanics very far, simply borrowing some old transformations from the previous games (although if you count the run booster as a transformation, that might count). I don't even think Wario Land 4 introduced new transformations come to think of it, but they definately did a good job with the puzzles. Maybe the solution is not to add new transformations but increase what can be done with the ones that exist.
I would say that transformations, shoulder tackle, and throwing in isolation lack combinational depth. The mechanics themselves cannot be combined in any unexpected way to create new situations. For instance, shoulder tackling is always the same, it never gets any deeper. I'm either breaking a block, or defeating an enemy. Throwing is a little deeper, but tends to be used toward simple spacial puzzles. Merging mechanics has the potential to create very interesting gameplay. That's what I think Nintndo needs to do with the series: take everything great about the previous games, expand upon these mechanics under a simple control scheme, introduce the game to a new audience, and reshape Wario to be more appealing to that new audience.

I'd be very relunctant to see a deep and grand new Wario Land adventure on a phone platform, but I've always agreed with building on Wario's immortality and depth.

Years ago I played with the idea of total immortality, and came up with "Skeleton Wario". If Wario stumbles into a pit of scorching acid or lava, he may become a skeleton. One inherent ability would be throwing your bones/bowling your skull at enemies, switches, etc. I can't really think of a cure for that status, though.

Whatever they do with Wario Nintendo needs to treat it like its a big deal and advertise for it. If they don't do that then it doesn't matter how big or awesome the new Wario game is... it won't sell.

I've seen Nintendo do this with a ton of games.

I've always wanted a return of the power-up helmets and transformations in the same game. Another thing I'd like is more personality from the enemies. For instance, if Wario turned on the flame thrower with Dragon Wario, you could have Gooms and other baddies running for their life or trying to shield themselves, duck for cover, etc. Wario's enemies already have more personality than the average platform game. That could really be embellished upon.

It's kind of just unlikely to happen. While phone gaming seemingly has a large audience, for the most part, people aren't interested in new games that may have a higher learning curves and definite endings. I mean yeah you may see ports of older games but you don't really see new, traditional kinds of games.They want something easy to jump into and endless gameplay as time killers. WarioWare might work but I don't see Wario Land working unless it's severely stripped down and made endless.

That may work. On a related note, I wonder if Nintendo would ever be open to mobile ports/emulation on mobile platforms. That might need to happen before we get a totally new Wario game for mobile platforms.

Why would you be reluctant to see a Wario Land game on mobile platforms?

I think Magma covered my main reasons (and I don't own any mobile platforms so I couldn't play it, but that's irrelevant). The level of grandness and scale I'd like from a new Wario Land would seem very out of place on a mobile platform, at this point in history. What I have in mind would suit a home console better.

Wario Land should be more popular but it was restricted to handhelds, which are treated with far less venerability or significance, even by Nintendo (Pokemon is a rare exception). There's a lack of public awareness, which is why Shake Dimension failed. At the time Nintendo wanted more people to buy it. A 2D platformer on a home console was rare in 2008. It was a fresh idea that should have succeeded. Then New Super Mario Bros Wii came out the following year (late 2009) and it was huge. It created a resurgence in home 2D platformers, yet Shake failed to do so the previous year. There are many underlying reasons for that.

Back