In Search of Wario Websites

Dangerous Duck

You'd better duck, too.
Good morning, ladies and germs. And how are we this evening?
I've got a nasty little problem regarding an old Wario website, and I'm wondering if anyone here can help an old archivist.

For years I've been preserving old articles, promotional material, websites, regarding books, films, games... However, there's one rotten little website that's always thumbed its nose at me; the official American and European websites of Wario World.

Now, the AMERICAN version of this website contained an exclusive downloadable screensaver, but sadly the site has not worked for me in over a decade, so I cannot get my grubby clutches on that screensaver, nor can I record the site with my Camtasia screen recorder for preservation.

WARIO WORLD WEBSITE US.png

As for the European version of the site...
Apart from the lack of downloadable screensaver and different government rating systems it was pretty much identical.

Until sometime last year, the European version was still up and working, however Nintendo has since seen to that, and now you're 'treated' to this...

WARIO WORLD WEBSITE BLOCKED.png

Fortunately for us, a fellow Aussie archivist was good enough to unlock the European version and get it working again, however there is a hitch...
I simply cannot get the actual website to load for the life of me. I just can't get past that freaking "Loading Backgrounds" message, and it's driving me ding-dong bonkers.

This is what I'm talking about...

wario-world-website-eur-png.9227

If ANYONE here can help with either of these it would be immensely appreciated. I take my archiving very seriously and these two have stumped me for the longest time...

American version
Wario World

European version
Wario World

Cheers!

Attachments

• WARIO WORLD WEBSITE EUR.png
    WARIO WORLD WEBSITE EUR.png
    340.9 KB · Views: 1,632
Last edited:
It may not be loading the backgrounds because Nintendo deleted or removed all of those resources. I'm gonna suggest the obvious here even though it probably won't work, but I'm guessing wayback machine is a no-go too?

I was able to get the mirror to load by using internet explorer (ie, not edge). It didn't work with any of the modern browser,s which I assume is because of flash being depreciated.

I don,t remember how I enabled it but if your computer is Windows 10, I know it has an older version of IE you can enable through some mean since I needed to do that for a previous job

View attachment 9229
But did you get it to go past the "loading backgrounds" loading screen? I tried it myself with internet explorer but it didn't work.

Well, I'm most grateful and appreciate that you all tried. Thank-you. That gives me closure that the fault is not at my end.
The reason I'm desperate is due to the impending death of Flash next year (or so I've read), which will render these old sites extinct/unsalvageable.
What's infuriating is how the WL4 Greedville site STILL works perfectly with flash yet it falls flat on its face with sites for Wario World and WarioWare, Inc. Mega Party Game$ (another one I've been trying to archive for many years)...

WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Party Game$

@Kyle Well, the bloke who revived the European site last year posted a bit of footage on Youtube among other old Nintendo sites. Here's the website where he stores them... Sadly, only the Wario World one has stopped working, and he hasn't replied to comments in months. Very frustrating indeed.
Flash Games - Origami64

I find it funny that Virtual Boy Wario Land is completely missing from that hokey "History of Wario" bit. Guess the stigma hadn't quite lifted after only 8 years.

Heheh. Yes, I was muttering that to myself an hour ago. They list every version of Mario Party/Golf/Tennis under the 2003 sun, but they left out one of the finest Wario platformers ever made... Hokey is the word for it.

Yeah, to see one of the best Land games absent from the history of Wario while all the Mario Party/Tennis/Golf get love is fucking depressing to see...
But I can't say I'm surprised TBH, especially given Nintendo's aloof attitude towards the Virtual Boy in general.

Hopefully one of these day's, if they do a revised history of Wario, it'll be on there, because it truly deserves it.
Definitely moreso then Plumber Boy's latest party game.

Also, this is incredible! It's always great to see stuff like this saved!
Great job to both you and the archivest for saving this site!

Hopefully one day, we can save the original WarioWare sites as well...

Yeah, to see one of the best Land games absent from the history of Wario while all the Mario Party/Tennis/Golf get love is fucking depressing to see...
But I can't say I'm surprised TBH, especially given Nintendo's aloof attitude towards the Virtual Boy in general.

Hopefully one of these day's, if they do a revised history of Wario, it'll be on there, because it truly deserves it.
Definitely moreso then Plumber Boy's latest party game.

Also, this is incredible! It's always great to see stuff like this saved!
Great job to both you and the archivest for saving this site!

Hopefully one day, we can save the original WarioWare sites as well...

I really hope we can resurrect the WarioWare sites before long. The one I'm personally gunning for is the Mega PARTY Game$ site, which had microgame and elevator highscores put up from Nintendo staff that you were encouraged to beat (I still remember jotting them all down after school back in 2004).

Mega Party Game$ has a special place in my heart. It was the first WarioWare I owned within my family (I forced my sister to buy the original).
I pre-ordered Mega Party Game$ for my 16th birthday before it was released down under. It was the first game I ever pre-ordered, which was very exciting. The only other game I ever pre-ordered was Wario: Master of Disguise several years later (a very different time, back when Wario games were still being released periodically).

WWIMPG Site Title Page.png

I've decided to make this a Wario website thread.
Below is the pre-release page for the up and coming Wario World, before the official website launched (this is dated 8th June, 2003).
Scroll horizontally from left to right to see everything (sadly, many of the graphics no longer load, but it's still a dandy find for the archives)...

WARIO WORLD is coming June 23!
Wario World is coming June 23!

And here is an image of the entire page I screen-captured (just in case the page doesn't load or you want it for keeps).

Pre-Release Website, 8th June, 2003 [Wario World is coming June 23!].png

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember these kinds of websites, at least the Nintendo ones. I was a kid at the time so all of this was like magic to me, and it always got me jumping in joy.

Last edited:
Tremendous news! I managed to get through to the archivist and he solved the loading issue with the European site. So here it is in all its tacky, resuscitated glory... Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to document the lot with my Camtasia screen recorder (before it slips through the cracks again).

Wario World
Hi, maybe I'm a little late to the party and probably no one is here but how exactly did you get past the loading screen? Because the same problem happens to me, I spent hours to see if I could access the game "Wario ware ponit and click" but I didn't get past the loading screen

See this is why we have to save all the Wario we can and upload it here u.u
Sadly and this is coming from an immense Wario fan and so this is personally a highly unpopular take but:
If Nintendo is ever going to cancel any of their characters it will be Wario and Waluigi.
Wario is already getting considerably less and less attention from Nintendo every year.
This site is trying to revitalize it all, I'm very hopeful we can get some stuff back that was lost. Maybe someone just needs to write to nintendo.

Last edited:
Back