[Poll] Is the Wario Land series really dead?

Is the Wario Land series a dead franchise?

• No way in hell! A new game is coming for the 3DS or Wii U very soon!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, we'll get another game eventually

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Not sure, although Shake It has me worried...

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • It's doomed! DOOMED!

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
Hello, ten year old thread! Interesting to see how hopes for the series were alive back then. Too bad it's been a decade since then.

Eh, that doesn't mean it can't come back. It means Nintendo has no plans for a Wario Land game right now, which as far as we know, they don't.

I'm pretty sure a question about Mario & Luigi would get a similar answer between 2020 and 2023.

Eh, that doesn't mean it can't come back. It means Nintendo has no plans for a Wario Land game right now, which as far as we know, they don't.

I'm pretty sure a question about Mario & Luigi would get a similar answer between 2020 and 2023.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Honestly, I just a Wario game that isn't WarioWare. It could be Wario Land or something else as long as it's not bland and boring.

This is from a year ago, but it’s safe to assume that Wario Land will never come back.

I wouldn't say never considering Pizza Tower's massive success and Antonblast coming out soon, it's safe to say there's still a high demand for Wario Land.

I wouldn't say never considering Pizza Tower's massive success and Antonblast coming out soon, it's safe to say there's still a high demand for Wario Land.
Yeah ! I kept hearing about Pizza Tower when it first came out even though I wasn't interested in it nor was I interested in Wario at the time. After that, I kept hearing people on the internet being excited AntonBlast so it defenitely seems like Wario-likes are becoming a popular genre. It'd be great if Nintendo remembers "Hey ? Didn't we make the original concept ?" and releases a new Wario Land game.

Yeah ! I kept hearing about Pizza Tower when it first came out even though I wasn't interested in it nor was I interested in Wario at the time. After that, I kept hearing people on the internet being excited AntonBlast so it defenitely seems like Wario-likes are becoming a popular genre. It'd be great if Nintendo remembers "Hey ? Didn't we make the original concept ?" and releases a new Wario Land game.
That's what I'm hoping for. If Nintendo learns there's still interest, and they could make a fortune, why wouldn't they bring Wario Land back. Every one of those games apart from the Virtual Boy one, sold millions!

That's what I'm hoping for. If Nintendo learns there's still interest, and they could make a fortune, why wouldn't they bring Wario Land back. Every one of those games apart from the Virtual Boy one, sold millions!
Yeah but it seems like Wario is selling less now. I think the reason they keep having low sales is that Nintendo don't actually sell the games. When I go to the store, the only games I see are Mario, Zelda, Pokémon and Sonic. You have to look for Wario games. That's why the general audience don't buy it as much.

I think we will get at least Wario Land Shake It! HD. At the end of 2020 there were indications that the planned remake of Virtual Boy Wario Land for 3DS and later for Switch was cancelled because of Skip Ltd.'s dissolvness - the planned developer of that game. Instead there were indications that there will be a Wario Land Shake It! HD. That fits quite well with the current Nintendo-HD-strategy because actually there is Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and they announced Donkey Kong Country Returns HD. Due to the high sales of the Switch there will be so many more little games until the end of the Switch; I cannot imagine there won't be a Wario Land Shake It! HD. Even the little Mario vs. Donkey Kong got a remake. And remember: Goodfeel already has remaked an own Wii game, Kirby's Epic Yarn. So they know how to bring their Wii games back.

Wario's problem were Wario World and Wario Master of Disguise. External developers developed these games (for the first time) and they were not as good as Wario Land 1 to 4. Wario World was too short, had no transformations, no puzzle moments and too much brawling instead of collecting coins and diamonds. Master of Disguise is a nice game with a great story, a lot of new transformations and high difficulty. But the difficulty was too high for the young Nintendo DS target group, the graphic wasn't nice, levels were very very long and there were too many texts. I remember user reviews: gamers didn't get it through the first level... So both games sold bad. At the same time WarioWare reached his high point with Smooth Moves and Touched. And unfortunately Mario came back to the 2D-univers (Mario Bros. DS). So the classic Wario was forgotten and so Shake It! didn't sell good although Shake It! was a beautiful game.

But that was over 16 years ago and doesn't count today anymore. The last five WarioWare sales after Smooth Moves were not good. Only Get It Together made it over 1 Million sold games after Smooth Moves. I think there will be a classic Wario comeback instead of a new WarioWare. Wario Land Shake It! HD is a cheap possibility for Nintendo to test Wario's popularity these days. Goodfeel did it with Kirby's Wii game 2019: Kirby got six new transformations and a brand new devilish mode under harder conditions. This is how Wario Land Shake It! HD can come back, too!

I think we will get at least Wario Land Shake It! HD. At the end of 2020 there were indications that the planned remake of Virtual Boy Wario Land for 3DS and later for Switch was cancelled because of Skip Ltd.'s dissolvness - the planned developer of that game. Instead there were indications that there will be a Wario Land Shake It! HD. That fits quite well with the current Nintendo-HD-strategy because actually there is Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and they announced Donkey Kong Country Returns HD. Due to the high sales of the Switch there will be so many more little games until the end of the Switch; I cannot imagine there won't be a Wario Land Shake It! HD. Even the little Mario vs. Donkey Kong got a remake. And remember: Goodfeel already has remaked an own Wii game, Kirby's Epic Yarn. So they know how to bring their Wii games back.

Wario's problem were Wario World and Wario Master of Disguise. External developers developed these games (for the first time) and they were not as good as Wario Land 1 to 4. Wario World was too short, had no transformations, no puzzle moments and too much brawling instead of collecting coins and diamonds. Master of Disguise is a nice game with a great story, a lot of new transformations and high difficulty. But the difficulty was too high for the young Nintendo DS target group, the graphic wasn't nice, levels were very very long and there were too many texts. I remember user reviews: gamers didn't get it through the first level... So both games sold bad. At the same time WarioWare reached his high point with Smooth Moves and Touched. And unfortunately Mario came back to the 2D-univers (Mario Bros. DS). So the classic Wario was forgotten and so Shake It! didn't sell good although Shake It! was a beautiful game.

But that was over 16 years ago and doesn't count today anymore. The last five WarioWare sales after Smooth Moves were not good. Only Get It Together made it over 1 Million sold games after Smooth Moves. I think there will be a classic Wario comeback instead of a new WarioWare. Wario Land Shake It! HD is a cheap possibility for Nintendo to test Wario's popularity these days. Goodfeel did it with Kirby's Wii game 2019: Kirby got six new transformations and a brand new devilish mode under harder conditions. This is how Wario Land Shake It! HD can come back, too!

Wario Land Shake It HD would be cool, though to be honest, I hope it isn't announced for the original Switch this year or next. We're at the point in a console's lifespan where games need to be for the upcoming system, not the one that's on the way out and which few people are buying games for. I'm already worried about Mario & Luigi: Brothership cause of that...

Good point. I've thought about that point yesterday evening, too. But I cannot imagine Wario Land Shake It! HD will come only for the new console. That game would be a perfect small and cheap titel for Nintendo's Switch in his last years. At the end the 3DS got WarioWare Gold (only a best-of-compilation), Luigi's Mansion (only a remake), Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (remake) and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (remake). I didn't play the Mario & Luigi remake but the other three games were fantastic! Unfortunately all didn't sale well because these games didn't work on the Switch.

A Wario Land Shake It! HD would work on Switch and Switch 2 I think. That's an advantage. Probabaly nintendo will not produce so many copys because of the high age of the switch and the focus on the new console. If we reach over 100.000 sales in japan in the first week and 1,5 Mio to 2,0 Mio worldwide... than we can be very confident for the future. Beating games like Mario vs. DK, Peach and WarioWare should be the only goal.

But please as a HD-remake and not as a HD-port like Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and DK Country Returns HD.

Good point. I've thought about that point yesterday evening, too. But I cannot imagine Wario Land Shake It! HD will come only for the new console. That game would be a perfect small and cheap titel for Nintendo's Switch in his last years. At the end the 3DS got WarioWare Gold (only a best-of-compilation), Luigi's Mansion (only a remake), Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (remake) and Kirby's Extra Epic Yarn (remake). I didn't play the Mario & Luigi remake but the other three games were fantastic! Unfortunately all didn't sale well because these games didn't work on the Switch.

A Wario Land Shake It! HD would work on Switch and Switch 2 I think. That's an advantage. Probabaly nintendo will not produce so many copys because of the high age of the switch and the focus on the new console. If we reach over 100.000 sales in japan in the first week and 1,5 Mio to 2,0 Mio worldwide... than we can be very confident for the future. Beating games like Mario vs. DK, Peach and WarioWare should be the only goal.

But please as a HD-remake and not as a HD-port like Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and DK Country Returns HD.

True the backwards compatibility would help a lot. 3DS games not working on Switch made them a bad deal for many people.

But I do hope that it's a proper HD remake as well. Luigi's Mansion 2 HD and Donkey Kong Country Returns HD just felt so lazy to me...

Yes, a HD-remake with a few new attack strengthening transformations and a new challenge mode with harder conditions for each level. So there would be new treasures to collect for the treasure list in that new challenge mode. That was how Goodfeel remaked his Kirby's Epic Yarn. New levels and online comparisons would be too much expected.

uncanny-wario-meme-template-v0-hrmn9rrlsni81~2.jpg

Back