Is Wario Italian American?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
We know Mario and Luigi are, it was stated by Nintendo sometime. But what about Wario and Waluigi?

Personally, I'd guess it's likely they're the same. Their names and physical characteristics are similar enough to Mario and Luigi's to indicate a shared nationality/heritage, and the Wario series has never been a stranger to ambiguously Italian or Italian American characters like those in Wario Master of Disguise.

But what do you think? Is Wario Italian or Italian American like Mario and Luigi are?

Hm, I think it's hard to say... Since Wario and Waluigi are, in a way, very exaggerated versions of Mario and Luigi (Wario's very large and short, Waluigi's extremely skinny and tall), I think it's plausable that Wario and Waluigi are Italian. If they're exaggerated Mario-like and Luigi-like characters, it's only a possibility that they're full-out Italian. Wario also has a much thicker Italian accent when compared to Mario's, something to note as well.

It's a complex question since Nintendo didn't really confirmed his origins.
I'm pretty sure he's a Italian since he constructed in MK: DD a course based off The Colosseum from Italy but he can also be a Italian American since he can speak in English & Italian. (But it can't prove anything.)

Personally, I prefer him as a Italian.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he's a Italian since he constructed in MK: DD a course based off The Colosseum from Italy but he can also be a Italian American since he can speak in English & Italian. (But it can't prove anything.)

Oh yeah, I forgot about Wario Colosseum. That's a pretty good spot.

wario is obviously sicilian

Huh?

Well, for the Italian part, Wario has some vague Italian implications, but not as clear as Mario has.

And for the American thing, how do we know that Wario is American? He lives in Diamond City,
which looks like a steriotypical Western city, but it's never said to be in the United States.

wario is obviously sicilian
I'm pretty sure he's from the Sardinia island, they serve the infamous rotten cheese.

And in the Mario Kart 64 manual they said that Wario is fan of motorcycles, and Italy is well known for its finest bikes.

Mario might be Italian, but for Wario, I don't really believe so.

Imagine Wario saying ¨Hope there's lots-a spaghetti¨ that would be so not Wario.
He likes garlic though, usually italian food tastes salty and bitter.

Back