It's official: Smash never wanted to represent Wario Land in the first place.

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Insider
We've all been thinking it but now it's official.

When you go to your trophy gallery and select it to sort by series Wario's trophies are listed under "WarioWare", not "Wario" in general.

That's pretty sad. I don't even know what to say anymore.

Thoughts?

I'm not surprised that they written "WarioWare" as the official "Wario Franchise".

In the Miiverse, I read some old comments before SSB3DS coming out and saying they wanted Ashley, wanted Mona, wanted Kat&Ana, wanted some severals WW characters as Playable Characters and no one wanted WL characters, like they didn't existed.

And it's also a problem too... If you do a poll which series thoses individuals love more, we can clearly see that WarioWare win on this one. And for the SSB team and also Nintendo, they will think we don't need Wario Land anymore, saying the franchise is dead & nobody wants it so they will continue on the WarioWare series.

(just to remind that its just a opinion)

My only problem with this is that the treatment of their franchises is really inconsistent.

Usually Smash Bros is super obsessed with "classic" games and the "history" of their characters.
The only reason why Ice Climbers were added in Melee was because they were from a "classic" NES game. It wasn't even a good one that would still hold up today.
Duck Hunt hasn't had a game since the NES days and none of the kids today would ever recognize them. Same with characters like R.O.B. or Mr. Game&Watch.
R.O.B. got to be a character not because he's a fan favourite but because he helped promote the NES. If you look at him objectively it's a pretty terrible accessory.

Then there is so much stuff that focuses on the "history" of the fighters. It ranges from songs, items, trophies and even the masterpieces in Brawl.
In those cases it doesn't matter if the series was popular, successful or whether it still holds up today.

Pro R.O.B. argument:
"Without R.O.B. Nintendo wouldn't have made it through the video game crash of 1983. Therefore he deserves to be a fighter."

Sakurai:
"GET HIM IN!"

Pro Wario Land argument:
"Without Wario Land Wario would've become a forgotten one-note villain like Wart or Tatanga and he wouldn't even be the well-known character he is today. Therefore the series deserves to be represented.

Sakurai:
"Fuck dat shit!"

Pro Wario Land argument:
"Without Wario Land Wario would've become a forgotten one-note villain like Wart or Tatanga and he wouldn't even be the well-known character he is today. Therefore the series deserves to be represented.

Sakurai:
"Fuck dat shit!"

Made my day. :3

So, for the topic at hand! Yeah, that's bad I guess. But at least Wario is represented at all...I'm no good with these arguments. But yeah!

That would explain it, sadly. He probably does have some hatred to Wario Land, which is probably why Wario Land keeps getting less and less representation each Smash bros game. Next thing you know it even his overalls are gone in favor of his ware suit.

It's a shame that even the shoulder charge has been removed from the latest smash since brawl however when I think about it smash is still a fighting game. At the end of the day it's more of a fighting game than it is representing the other cast of the series. Sakurai probably just stuck whatever characteristics wario could have to fit in a fighting game. Since to be fair we can make this argument count for Ganondorf as well whom I still see is represented even poorly than wario himself, however that may just be how I feel.

Regardless of how we may feel this is still made by Hal Labratory and it still is Sakurai's game. Not saying I agree with Sakurai on what he did with Wario but it's a fighting game first, like many fighting games they try to situate moves that would well round for a character. Take a look at Guilty Gear or even the anime related fighting games like jjba asb. Thing is this isn't exclusively a wario game, as sad as it may seen to have no other wario land related moves only his overalls look.

That would explain it, sadly. He probably does have some hatred to Wario Land, which is probably why Wario Land keeps getting less and less representation each Smash bros game. Next thing you know it even his overalls are gone in favor of his ware suit.
His overalls could stay, a plenty of people know him from the Mario sports/spinoffs.

Yeah, Wario's supposed to be this treasure-amassing powerhouse, not some slob who sits around all day hanging out with these Rhythm Heaven rejects!

Gotta love how people are still under the impression that Sakurai is this indie type developer. Kind of gross and insulting about someone who's been in this industry for over two decades.

Regardless of how we may feel this is still made by Hal Labratory and it still is Sakurai's game. Not saying I agree with Sakurai on what he did with Wario but it's a fighting game first, like many fighting games they try to situate moves that would well round for a character. Take a look at Guilty Gear or even the anime related fighting games like jjba asb. Thing is this isn't exclusively a wario game, as sad as it may seen to have no other wario land related moves only his overalls look.
No matter what anyone says, the focus of Smash is to be made as a fighting game that stands out on its own and just so happens to include several Nintendo characters. It being the be-all and end-all of Nintendo franchises is merely some arbitrary, nonexistent rule that fans keep haphazardly plastering onto it.

Also, HAL only truly made Smash 64 and Melee. They did assist a little on Brawl, but that's it. Brawl and Smash 4 were lead by Sora, Ltd. in cooperation with other development teams.

Last edited:
the focus of Smash is to be made as a fighting game that stands out on its own and just so happens to include several Nintendo characters.
Like I've said so many times before, they still could've included his charge attack without changing the way he plays. If they had replaced his dash attack where he falls on his face with a short charge attack it would function the same but would still reference Wario's legacy.
Or they could've made his side smash work the way it does in Master of Disguise instead of replacing it with a boring punch. (See, I'd rather have a Master of Disguise reference than no reference at all.)
Worst case scenario: a hitbox might have to be a bit different. Would that REALLY break the game?

References to other games are still more or less extra bonuses, not the most important part of the game. (Do you honestly believe that the Smash team spends most of their development time thinking about the Zelda timeline and all that?)

Better yet, just say what you're really trying to say, which is "I don't want Wario to waste the rest of his life sitting around with these dumb Rhythm Heaven rejects, when he could be spending it going on more badass adventures."

Back