On Wario being gross

Koopaul

Yes. I'm that Koopaul.
A lot of people have a problem with Wario being gross. Farting, picking his nose, etc. I can't blame them. But I don't really mind Wario being gross, even excessively groos if it's done right.

Let me explain, I watched the Austin Powers movies recently which feature a character called Fat Bastard. He is a very gross character. But I noticed something about his grossness. It was always to compliment the fact that he was an asshole. He wasn't gross because he was stupid or goofy, he was gross because he was mean.

That's the kind of gross I want Wario to demonstrate. For example in the intro to Shake It, Wario is seen picking his nose. But take note that he is doing this while Merfle is telling him something very serious and important. It comes off as mean and rude.

The kind of mean grossness is Wario going to a party a shoving a bunch of food in his mouth and then yelling at someone while pieces of that food fly into their face. This grossness needs to be at the expense of someone else.

If poop is involved it should be that he clogged up Mario's toilet, hands him a plunger and says "Fix it plumber boy! Oh! And you're gonna love the smell!"

What do you think? Do you agree? Or should Wario just avoid being gross altogether?

I don't mind Wario showing gross behavior as long as it's not treated like his main or even only character trait, like Smash just loooves to do and it should compliment other character traits or be part of a bigger joke, like your examples do, rather then for the game to just go ''LULZ HE FARTZ, AIN'T THAT JUST WAAAAACKY!?!'', because I'll admit to finding his fart supermove in Strikers Charged funny, just for Wario's comments on it and the way other characters react to it.

It helps that yah know, that's the only time Strikers Charged has him fart, while the rest of the game shows many other traits of his, like his egotism or general wackyness.

A lot of people have a problem with Wario being gross. Farting, picking his nose, etc. I can't blame them. But I don't really mind Wario being gross, even excessively groos if it's done right.

Let me explain, I watched the Austin Powers movies recently which feature a character called Fat Bastard. He is a very gross character. But I noticed something about his grossness. It was always to compliment the fact that he was an asshole. He wasn't gross because he was stupid or goofy, he was gross because he was mean.

It isn't as if Wario is suppose to be this off-brand Mario, the whole ware and land aspect are part of who he is. Still stand by that both Wario and by definition Luigi were needing to be different characters of their own besides being yellow and green mario and on that note have another great gross character.
tumblr_nhy77tzXVk1skasmxo1_r1_500.gif

I see being gross as one of Wario's character traits, not his defining character trait just one of them. Nowadays he has devolved into a fart joke which is what bugs me. Its a flanderazation (however you spell it) just like how Ned Flanders was a rich character who is now a religion joke or how Patrick Star was for some time nothing but an idiot. I never saw Wario as inherently gross so i don't associate that character trait with him as much as others do, though that's probably a result of me getting into Wario during the early days. Though when the farting and nose picking and other such things became one of his traits i was open to it because at the end of the day he is still the same greedy anti hero i always knew. Now that side of him is overshadowed by his gross out factor so i do kinda resent all the farting now. However if in the future they push that aside and focus more on his other more prominent qualities then i'll be a happy camper.

Wario picking his nose and overall lack of hygiene I feel fits his character in that he doesn't care what anybody thinks about him. However, stuff like those poop jokes in those developer diary entries I find excessive as well as his overall fixation on farting and feces seen in certain characterizations.

Wario picking his nose and overall lack of hygiene I feel fits his character in that he doesn't care what anybody thinks about him. However, stuff like those poop jokes in those developer diary entries I find excessive as well as his overall fixation on farting and feces seen in certain characterizations.

That's exactly what I think too. I like the nose-picking microgames that return in every WarioWare game, and how Wario is presented as being gross in things like WL 4 artwork or the interior of his house in Twisted. But the fixation on poop and farts needs to stop. He's more than that.

I don't mind Wario having a gross side as stuff like him picking his nose and being a glutton and all that makes absolute sense for a guy like him and it fits him perfectly. but stuff like his obbession with Poop and Farts needs to at the very least be toned down a notch and they need to stop shoving his grossness into our faces like they tend to do. (I'm looking at you Smash 4.) and they definitely need to stop priortizing it so much over his other traits as he's much more then that.

Last edited:
A certain degree of vulgarity has always been a part of Wario's character and I generally don't mind it, I'm honest to god just baffled by how certain sources feel the need to act as if farts were a selling point of his character (Smash) or have him talk about feces in almost every single sentence (japanese Land 4/WarioWare sites).

I get that Wario is meant to be a comical character, but given how many entertaining quirks and personality traits he already has, I frankly don't have the faintest clue as to why anyone would pull the above stunts when you have so much else to work with.

Last edited:
I also don't mind the nose picking thing and the fart is okay but it shouldn't ever be taken to an extreme. Some people these days just think that's all wario is. A gross stupid dude. I mean some might not have seen how MANLY he was back in the day. And if this is the first representation of him they see, it kinda ruins his overall character.
It's fine if they give him a new trait or something else to add, but they need to remember that it isn't his WHOLE
character. And I think Nintendo forgot about that. Let's hope that one day they bring back his tough, strong, aggressiveness.

Back