Popular and Unpopular Wario Opinions

SurrealBrain

I like Amitie.
EDIT: Changed the thread title. We now allow both popular and unpopular opinions.

Inspired by forums with similar topics, this is where you can post your opinions on all things Wario that everyone else seems to disagree with, or just isn't expressed much, if at all.

I'll start by saying that I actually liked Mike's microgames in WarioWare: Touched. Maybe it's just me, but I never found them unplayable, and in fact I found them enjoyable despite having to blow my smelly breath into the handheld.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
I was okay with them, even though the mic was unresponsive at times. You just have to blow more gently sometimes. And I enjoyed the actual microgames, especially the one make you make silly animal sounds.

My unpopular opinions:

* I think Land 3 is the best Wario platformer. Most prefer 2 or 4.
* I much enjoyed both Master of Disguise and World (especially the former), two Wario games that are heavily criticized.
* I prefer Ware to Land in general, despite being a Land fan since day one.
* I like Mona's design in G&W.

Hm. I don't know if I have an unpopular opinions. Well I think 18-Volt is a dumb pointless character. Did 9-Volt need a sidekick? Especially one that dumb looking?

This one is a personal biggie, but here goes:

I personally really dislike the WarioWare series as I feel its ruined our chances of ever having a proper Wario Land game. While We did get the Shake Dimension/'Shake It!', the face that Smooth Moves did so much better in sales probably sent the message to Nintendo that the direction Wario games should follow is down the micro game path alone. Its also heavily affected his representation in other games such as Smash Brothers, which focus on the WarioWare aspects rather than the Wario Land series.

I don't mind the game series for what it is; a fun microgame collection with a collection of fun and unique characters. I just wish it wasn't linked to Wario and that it developed into its own IP.

While We did get the Shake Dimension/'Shake It!', the face that Smooth Moves did so much better in sales probably sent the message to Nintendo that the direction Wario games should follow is down the micro game path alone.

Nintendo doesn't churn out Wario platformers because they don't think they're particularly profitable, not because WarioWare exists. Otherwise, they'd have stopped budgeting Mario sports spinoffs when Mario Kart proved to handily outsell all of them combined.

Wario Land Shake It isn't that bad of a game. It gets a bad rep from game designers and hardcore Mario fans, but it's a decent enough game on its own. The music in it is also pretty good.

Hard and Super Hard mode are actually better designed than the Normal mode in Wario Land 4. The increased difficulty is a good thing.

Wario Land 4's transformations are better than those in 3. Especially Vampire Wario, the flight in 4 is just much easier to control.

• I think the WarioWare series was very creative, but DIY takes the cake for being my favorite in spite not playing any of the other ones. The touch controls may be a tad bit gimmicky but it gives you more to work with control wise when you're making a game. It has it's limits (not sure how people can hack boss timers into games) but overall you get the most out of it than pushing buttons or shaking a remote.
  • Wario doesn't belong in the WarioWare series. Why can't he just go exploring for treasure? Besides if he was so smart he'd want to get rid of his boredom unless he is really a professional couch potato. Sure he and the characters in the series are wacky but... It's just difficult to understand.
  • Wario Land 4's art style seems way different from any of the others. Wario just seems more crooked in GBA sprite form I suppose. It's like each different game he's in the art style gives me the impression of a different type of Wario or personality.

I guess I might give my opinion about Wario stuff:
  • I really like all characters in WarioWare (Except Young Cricket, which I like, but is a little dull... I meen, he not that interesting...)
  • I won't compare Land with Ware, they're completely diferent series, even if it is Wario.
  • Wario Land is one of, if not the best, platformer at it's time (Wario Land: Shake It is just pretty, however not my favorite controls) and still feels great to play through today.
  • WarioWare is an incredibly simple and dumb idea that worked so well! Game & Wario's Gamer is what I come back to play in that game.
  • "Wario Master of Disguise"'s controls feel SO wrong and are aweful, even though the concept is really nice.
  • Wario World could be my favorite Wario game, however it's too short and has little replay value. (It is also the game that introduced me to WarioWare, thanks to the unlockable demos)
  • Wario in Smash Bros.? Good character, REALLY bad representation...
  • I never played any Wario Spinoffs (Wario Blast, Mario and Wario, Wario's Woods) (NES Remix Wario's Woods doesn't count)
I don't remember anything else to put here...

I guess I might give my opinion about Wario stuff:
  • I really like all characters in WarioWare (Except Young Cricket, which I like, but is a little dull... I meen, he not that interesting...)
  • I won't compare Land with Ware, they're completely diferent series, even if it is Wario.
  • Wario Land is one of, if not the best, platformer at it's time (Wario Land: Shake It is just pretty, however not my favorite controls) and still feels great to play through today.
  • WarioWare is an incredibly simple and dumb idea that worked so well! Game & Wario's Gamer is what I come back to play in that game.
  • "Wario Master of Disguise"'s controls feel SO wrong and are aweful, even though the concept is really nice.
  • Wario World could be my favorite Wario game, however it's too short and has little replay value. (It is also the game that introduced me to WarioWare, thanks to the unlockable demos)
  • Wario in Smash Bros.? Good character, REALLY bad representation...
  • I never played any Wario Spinoffs (Wario Blast, Mario and Wario, Wario's Woods) (NES Remix Wario's Woods doesn't count)
I don't remember anything else to put here...

Few of the opinions are particularly unpopular.

Nintendo doesn't churn out Wario platformers because they don't think they're particularly profitable, not because WarioWare exists. Otherwise, they'd have stopped budgeting Mario sports spinoffs when Mario Kart proved to handily outsell all of them combined.
A lot of people sincerely think that it's Ware's fault that Land games quit coming out, and that's just not the case. Ware seems more popular in Japan, but I think that's because of the diverse cast of characters as opposed to Wario himself with Captain Syrup as the only villain.

Welp, changed the thread name, and so popular opinions are allowed here as well.

Since I changed it, I'll state the popular ones I have:

I like Ashley.

Wario's representation in Smash Bros. hasn't been so good. Why make a new moveset from the whole cloth when you only need to play Wario Land 2, 3 OR 4 to get a good reference? I will say, though, that in the new one at least, he's a good main to have, so it's not that it's bad taken on its own merits. Just not good as a representation of the character.

I feel that Wario needs more games. Land or Ware, I don't care, I just want something.

Perhaps this is heresy: I find the enemy designs in the Wario Land series rather uninspired. I wish there were more identifiable/iconic enemies.

Back