Puyo Puyo

Oh, right. I think I read on your Tumblr somewhere once that you said you didn't really care much for Arle x Schezo. I mean, hey, each to their own, right?
Indeed, it was a confession that I reblogged, because I agreed with it so much, but yeah, to each their own.

Still, speaking of ships, I hope (though I GREATLY doubt this) that Satan's thing for Arle (and Carbuncle, by extension) also gets toned down GREATLY. I mean, at this point there has to be a limit. Honestly, I think the main reason I don't complain (that much) about the gimmicks of Satan and Schezo (and Rulue, by extension) is because they're just funny enough to me that I actually get a decent laugh out of them every once in a while.

On that matter I liked what SUN did with Satan, where he wanted to be more of a general womanizer, instead of just being after Arle, given his manchild nature I could totally see him being the kinda guy who comes up with zany schemes just to show everyone how awesome and ''with it'' he is, with impressing Arle just being a desired side effect and not his entire goal, that's what I'd like to see.

Oh, I remember that! I really wish SOMETHING would have come out of that as well, but 15th Anniversary isn't considered 'canon', right?
The wishes are of dubious canon, but the game in general has to be canon, since it reintroduced several Madou era character, without it you would have them just suddenly pop up in Primp with no explaination or fanfare.
Exactly. As I've said before, from what I've seen of Arle's world, I don't think they've even evolved past LIGHTBULBS.
The Madou world for the most part seems to be a average magical fantasy world, in terms of technical advancement, there are few token instances of more modern stuff showing up, but that's really rare and always a minor thing, Puyo Puyo DA! is a curious exception thought and if Puyo Gaiden Wars is any indication the world is at least capable of evolving.

On that matter I liked what SUN did with Satan, where he wanted to be more of a general womanizer, instead of just being after Arle, given his man-child nature I could totally see him being the kinda guy who comes up with zany schemes just to show everyone how awesome and ''with it'' he is, with impressing Arle just being a desired side effect and not his entire goal, that's what I'd like to see.

See, THIS is kind of what I'd like to see Satan as these days. Heck, back in SUN when he wanted to be more of a general womanizer, he even showed off slight interest in Rulue. RULUE, of all people! I should mention that from what I've seen of him in the series since his return in 15th Anniversary, these days he mostly CLAIMS to be all cool and "hip", with MANY a Fever-era character AND Ringo herself calling him out on it. I'll admit, it's pretty funny, but I sort of wish that he would take some action like he did during SUN to back up his claims.

The wishes are of dubious canon, but the game in general has to be canon, since it reintroduced several Madou-era characters, without it you would have them just suddenly pop up in Primp with no explanation or fanfare.

Oh, yeah. That DOES make sense. I mean, the Madou-era characters showing up out of nowhere WOULD seem too...out of place.

The Madou world for the most part seems to be a average magical fantasy world, in terms of technical advancement, there are few token instances of more modern stuff showing up, but that's really rare and always a minor thing, Puyo Puyo DA! is a curious exception thought and if Puyo Gaiden Wars is any indication the world is at least capable of evolving.

Really?? There's traces of modern stuff in the Madou world? I've never really noticed it, aside from everyone's modern outfits as seen in Puyo Puyo DA! (Outfits which I still hope they'll be added to Quest one day). Also, does Gaiden Wars really take place in the Madou world's future? I mean, I've heard that Arle and Carbuncle both appear in the game, but I was never clear on how things worked.

You know. I WONDER if Sega/Sonic Team is trying to tell us SOMETHING with introducing more and more "advanced" worlds. Primp in comparison to what we saw of the Madou world seemed more sophisticated. THEN we got Ringo's world and I am NOT sure if the Tetris characters would factor into this but if they DID then this could probably also COUNT as part of the trend.

Really?? There's traces of modern stuff in the Madou world? I've never really noticed it, aside from everyone's modern outfits as seen in Puyo Puyo DA! (Outfits which I still hope they'll be added to Quest one day). Also, does Gaiden Wars really take place in the Madou world's future? I mean, I've heard that Arle and Carbuncle both appear in the game, but I was never clear on how things worked.
There are, but they really are extremely rare, the openenig of SUN for instance has a small moment with a modern every day fridge, containing everyone's creepy crossdresser Choppun, but as I said, it's very minor.

And the thing about that Puyo Gaiden Wars is that Arle doesn't directly appear but is directly reffered to, along with what seems to be a small flashback cameo :
B32HiSjCcAE_vpm.jpg

I do recall her to be refered to as someone from the past, but my memory is really fuzzy on that, so don't
quote me on that, but I always assumed that the game takes place in the faraway future and isn't in a different continuity, though nowadays it's hard to say which world it is, I'd say the Madou world, but with so many different ones there is no way to say for sure anymore.

You know. I WONDER if Sega/Sonic Team is trying to tell us SOMETHING with introducing more and more "advanced" worlds. Primp in comparison to what we saw of the Madou world seemed more sophisticated. THEN we got Ringo's world and I am NOT sure if the Tetris characters would factor into this but if they DID then this could probably also COUNT as part of the trend.
Interesting food for thought, albeit if it was intentional Chronicle seems to have brocken the trend, since that game's world isn't advanced a all.

There are, but they really are extremely rare, the opening of SUN for instance has a small moment with a modern every day fridge, containing everyone's creepy cross-dresser Choppun, but as I said, it's very minor.

Speaking of which, that modern fridge isn't the only indication of modern things in the Madou world. If I remember correctly, Rulue and Satan are both seen reading magazines that you probably wouldn't expect to see in a fantasy world, not to mention supermarkets you'd see between the 90's and mid 2000's.

....Speaking of Choppun, will he EVER return to the Puyo series? By now, I expected him to appear in Quest at the very least. Or...is he in Quest already?

And the thing about that Puyo Gaiden Wars is that Arle doesn't directly appear but is directly referred to, along with what seems to be a small flashback cameo :
index.php

I do recall her to be referred to as someone from the past, but my memory is really fuzzy on that, so don't quote me on that, but I always assumed that the game takes place in the faraway future and isn't in a different continuity, though nowadays it's hard to say which world it is, I'd say the Madou world, but with so many different ones there is no way to say for sure anymore.

Oh, so THAT'S how Arle and Carbuncle appeared in that game. Just a headcanon here, but maybe Puyo Puyo Gaiden Wars DOES take place in the future of the Madou world and Arle and Carbuncle are heralded as heroes of the past...or something. I mean, considering the stuff Arle and Carbuncle does in the Madou games and the first four Puyo games, it wouldn't be too unfounded, right? Heck, I always figured Daichi was Arle's descendant or something, if I'm being honest here.

Also wanted to ask, SEGA owns the right to Daichi and everyone who was in this game, right? You think they'll ever show up for Puyo!! Quest?

Interesting food for thought, albeit if it was intentional Chronicle seems to have broken the trend, since that game's world isn't advanced a all.

To be fair, that game's world was located in a fairy tale storybook wasn't it?

....Speaking of Choppun, will he EVER return to the Puyo series? By now, I expected him to appear in Quest at the very least. Or...is he in Quest already?

As of now he alongside several other charas, is still absent from Quest, it's still not impossible for them to get in, but I don't think it will happen at this point.

Oh, so THAT'S how Arle and Carbuncle appeared in that game. Just a headcanon here, but maybe Puyo Puyo Gaiden Wars DOES take place in the future of the Madou world and Arle and Carbuncle are heralded as heroes of the past...or something. I mean, considering the stuff Arle and Carbuncle does in the Madou games and the first four Puyo games, it wouldn't be too unfounded, right? Heck, I always figured Daichi was Arle's descendant or something, if I'm being honest here.

I can get down with that idea and I always liked to think of Gaiden Wars being in that faraway future, where the mainline Puyo/Madou cast is long gone, but is still alluded to in legends or even directly remembered as heroes from days gone by, like with your example.

Also wanted to ask, SEGA owns the right to Daichi and everyone who was in this game, right? You think they'll ever show up for Puyo!! Quest?

SEGA has ownership over the Puyo Puyo games and everything they include, so unless there is some complication that I'm not aware of Gaiden Wars and all it's characters should be fair game.

I'd like to see them pop up again myself, maybe in Quest or maybe even a mainstream game, I mean with almost all the current games featuring new worlds, a time twister plot where Daichi, Marin & Co. meet the current cast would hardly be outlandish.

To be fair, that game's world was located in a fairy tale storybook wasn't it?
Indeed it is, so it's pretty understandable why it wouldn't be a particulary modern world in any form.

As of now he alongside several other characters, is still absent from Quest, it's still not impossible for them to get in, but I don't think it will happen at this point.

Hmm...I see. Well, hopefully they DO get added. Personally, I'd like to see just how SEGA would modernize the ENTIRE Madou-era cast. This includes Choppun, both Zombies, Sukiyapodes, etc. Remind me, SEGA added Succubus to Quest, but they thought her dominatrix look wasn't suitable for today's audience, so her look had to be retooled in line with Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers, right?

I can get down with that idea and I always liked to think of Gaiden Wars being in that faraway future, where the mainline Puyo/Madou cast is long gone, but is still alluded to in legends or even directly remembered as heroes from days gone by, like with your example.

Well, thanks. I'd like to think that Arle and Carbuncle are HIGHLY praised in the (possible) future of the Madou world. Maybe that whole Phantom God incident wasn't as "hush-hush" as some would think?

SEGA has ownership over the Puyo Puyo games and everything they include, so unless there is some complication that I'm not aware of Gaiden Wars and all it's characters should be fair game.

I'd like to see them pop up again myself, maybe in Quest or maybe even a mainstream game, I mean with almost all the current games featuring new worlds, a time twister plot where Daichi, Marin & Co. meet the current cast would hardly be outlandish.

Oh, really? Well, that's neat!

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind Daichi and the world of Gaiden Wars serving as the setting for "Puyo Puyo 8"! Call it a pipe dream, I feel like it could work. Not only that, but if Gaiden Wars really DOES take place in the Madou world's far future, this would also mark the return of Arle's home-world in SEGA's Puyo continuity! Only, not...EXACTLY...

Indeed it is, so it's pretty understandable why it wouldn't be a particularly modern world in any form.

Yeah...I mean, I kind of like Ally's world (sort of) going back to Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari's fantasy roots.....could have done a bit better, but I'll take it.

Hmm...I see. Well, hopefully they DO get added. Personally, I'd like to see just how SEGA would modernize the ENTIRE Madou-era cast. This includes Choppun, both Zombies, Sukiyapodes, etc.
Same, especially when it comes to the Nazo Puyo characters, I'm very happy that my two personal favorites Jan and Demon Servant made it in and quite early to boot, but seeing other neglected minor characters like Billy Burn resurface would be beyond neat.

Remind me, SEGA added Succubus to Quest, but they thought her dominatrix look wasn't suitable for today's audience, so her look had to be retooled in line with Morrigan Aensland from Darkstalkers, right?
Actually it's not entirely clear whether or not Quest Succubus is the same as Madou Succubis, it's been somewhat hinted that she is, but who knows, whether or not she's the same I'm convinced that the Dominatrix theme was indeed a negative sticking point for SEGA.

Oh, really? Well, that's neat!
I should add that was specifically reffering to games that carry the Puyo Puyo trademark, which Gaiden Wars falls under, so it being a departure from other games in the series shouldn't be an obstacle. Plus I think SEGA was even credited for character design in that game, I'd have to check my sources, but I know I have read it before and the game did come out during the time when SEGA owned the majority of the rights and had at least some hand in helping out with the games.

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't mind Daichi and the world of Gaiden Wars serving as the setting for "Puyo Puyo 8"! Call it a pipe dream, I feel like it could work. Not only that, but if Gaiden Wars really DOES take place in the Madou world's far future, this would also mark the return of Arle's home-world in SEGA's Puyo continuity! Only, not...EXACTLY...
Glad you like the idea, it's something I had on my mind for a very long time, when thinking about how Gaiden Wars stuff could possibly make a return in some form.

I'd say it's unlikely, but who knows, a new western release or the return of an RPG mode seemed unlikely and both happened, so really, it may very well happen one day.

Same, especially when it comes to the Nazo Puyo characters, I'm very happy that my two personal favorites Jan and Demon Servant made it in and quite early to boot, but seeing other neglected minor characters like Billy Burn resurface would be beyond neat.

You know, it's CRAZY that Billy Burn isn't in Quest currently, and yet all the while, SEGA's been creating Quest-exclusive male characters who STRONGLY bear Billy's likeness.

Actually it's not entirely clear whether or not Quest Succubus is the same as Madou Succubus, it's been somewhat hinted that she is, but who knows, whether or not she's the same I'm convinced that the Dominatrix theme was indeed a negative sticking point for SEGA.

Personally, until they say otherwise, I'm going with notion that SEGA's Succubus and Compile's Succubus are one and the same. Matter of fact, I think it was confirmed at some point during Puyo Puyo's 25th Anniversary.

Also, I think Succubus made sort of a guest appearance in Puyo Puyo's 5th volume of Drama CDs alongside Incubus, with her Dominatrix look being used, so maybe SEGA hasn't totally removed it from continuity.

I should add that was specifically referring to games that carry the Puyo Puyo trademark, which Gaiden Wars falls under, so it being a departure from other games in the series shouldn't be an obstacle. Plus I think SEGA was even credited for character design in that game, I'd have to check my sources, but I know I have read it before and the game did come out during the time when SEGA owned the majority of the rights and had at least some hand in helping out with the games.

Yeah, SEGA DID help out with Puyo Puyo games starting in 1998, but they didn't get "FULL" ownership till 2001. That being said, I'd also imagine Gaiden Wars WOULD be fair game for future Puyo games, including Quest.

Glad you like the idea, it's something I had on my mind for a very long time, when thinking about how Gaiden Wars stuff could possibly make a return in some form.

I'd say it's unlikely, but who knows, a new western release or the return of an RPG mode seemed unlikely and both happened, so really, it may very well happen one day.

Hey, don't mention it. Hey, maybe now SEGA can take advantage of that idea I had to flesh out Ringo's dimension in Puyo Puyo 7, with ALL characters feeling VERY out-of-place in Daichi's world due to all the technology. Heck, the irony would probably be all the more delicious if Daichi's world really DID take place in the Madou world's far future. Arle and the rest of the Madou cast wouldn't believe their world had advanced SO much, maybe with magic not being as needed or faded from memory over the years.

As you said, it may be unlikely, but the fact that a Puyo game is coming to the West for the first time in 13 years, AND an RPG mode is in a Puyo game for the first time in 16 years shows that anything can happen.

You know, it's CRAZY that Billy Burn isn't in Quest currently, and yet all the while, SEGA's been creating Quest-exclusive male characters who STRONGLY bear Billy's likeness.
It's exactly that, that makes me think that SEGA may be done with adding familiar faces into the game, sure the Tetris charas are still going to be added, but those are a special case, in fact, I'm not even sure if Rafisol will make it in. My money is on Chronicle's one year anniversay, if she's not not getting added at that point, then she won't get in.

Matter of fact, I think it was confirmed at some point during Puyo Puyo's 25th Anniversary.
I think you mean the book that was released where Quest design Succubus had a bio, which only non-Quest characters got. That does suggest that she's the same yeah, I like to think they are the same as well, unless some really major point of contradiction throws that through a loop.

Also, I think Succubus made sort of a guest appearance in Puyo Puyo's 5th volume of Drama CDs alongside Incubus, with her Dominatrix look being used, so maybe SEGA hasn't totally removed it from continuity.
Interesting, my knowledge of the Drama CDs ia very limited, so that's certainly something new to me.

Hey, don't mention it. Hey, maybe now SEGA can take advantage of that idea I had to flesh out Ringo's dimension in Puyo Puyo 7, with ALL characters feeling VERY out-of-place in Daichi's world due to all the technology. Heck, the irony would probably be all the more delicious if Daichi's world really DID take place in the Madou world's far future. Arle and the rest of the Madou cast wouldn't believe their world had advanced SO much, maybe with magic not being as needed or faded from memory over the years.
Yeah, it would be the kind of fish out of water story that 7 could have done, but never did, not to mention with the way the serie works nowadays it would be easy to work the Fever/7 casts as well, perhaps we could even get a glimpse of the Madou world again, before heading to the future, to show the major contrast between the times.

And good idea there, it would makes sense that magic has since largely vanished from the memory of the people, perhaps some might still have the ability to learn, but need to be taught by the characters from the past. Daichi already has the curious ability to sense Puyo from anywhere, so perhaps he already has some supernatural powers within' him.

You know just thinking of the Madou/Fever/7 charas in the Gaiden Wars setting gives me the mental image of someone like Onion Pixy commanding the Protector Battle Mechs into battle, that would be sight to behold.

Puyo Tetris releasing here still surprises me. I still can't believe they're just now aware of the fact that this series has western fans.

It's been said in an interview that Puyo Puyo Tetris was partially made to generate interest from western audiences, supposedly they were happy with the reactions they got, but I'm still convinced that it was the vocal demand for a Puyo Puyo Chronicle localization that got the ball rolling.

It's exactly that, that makes me think that SEGA may be done with adding familiar faces into the game, sure the Tetris characters are still going to be added, but those are a special case, in fact, I'm not even sure if Rafisol will make it in. My money is on Chronicle's one year anniversary, if she's not not getting added at that point, then she won't get in.

Man, I REALLY hope that's not the case, as I REALLY want to see the rest of the Madou-era cast in modern Puyo games. I mean I know the PPT-exclusive cast will be added to Quest, but like you've said, that's possibly just a special case for the release of the Nintendo Switch version.

Speaking of Rafisol, I'd be VERY surprised if she WASN'T added to Quest considering she's 100% a Puyo character through and through unlike the Tet-Ship's crew. BTW, does ANYONE know just WHAT is the deal with Rafisol? The ONLY things I've heard about her at the moment are that she was spawned from Ally's neck pendant that ECOLO gave to her, the colors of her body are Ally's but inverted, she doesn't understand the concept of love, and she has the same potential as Ecolo to cause a reality-wide Puyo-pocalypse...which I suppose IS kind of a given, since Ecolo more or less partially created her from scratch.

I think you mean the book that was released where Quest design Succubus had a bio, which only non-Quest characters got. That does suggest that she's the same yeah, I like to think they are the same as well, unless some really major point of contradiction throws that through a loop.

Yeah, that's the book alright. Like I've already said, I'm holding onto the notion that Compile and SEGA's Succubi ARE one and the same. BTW, Succubus wasn't the only one to get this treatment, right? I think...Lamia (If I'm wrong, please correct me) is in the same situation, isn't she? New design thanks to Quest, but the 25th Anniversary book states that they ARE the same person, but SEGA retooled her design to be more age-appropriate for Puyo Puyo's audience today. Speaking of that book, has ANYONE translated it yet, or is that just not happening?

Interesting, my knowledge of the Drama CDs is very limited, so that's certainly something new to me.

To be fair, I came across some fan-art that corresponds to the events that had taken place in the 5th Puyo Puyo Drama CD. You can find it here:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=41966514

I also came across an untranslated script for the Drama CD that has Succubus AND Incubus listed (I could recognize their names in Japanese), so...

Yeah, it would be the kind of fish out of water story that 7 could have done, but never did, not to mention with the way the series works nowadays it would be easy to work the Fever/7 casts as well, perhaps we could even get a glimpse of the Madou world again, before heading to the future, to show the major contrast between the times.

Exactly! Honestly, what I wouldn't give for SEGA to do this. And like you said, even the Fever-era and 7-era casts would probably feel just as out of place as the Madou-era cast. It would also be so awesome for Arle's world to be seen for the first time ever in a SEGA-era game before going to the (possible) future of said world and showing off how things have changed over the years. Not to mention that the cast of Primp has been to Suzuran and vice-versa. It's only fair that Primp AND Suzuran FINALLY get to see Arle's homeworld.

And good idea there, it would makes sense that magic has since largely vanished from the memory of the people, perhaps some might still have the ability to learn, but need to be taught by the characters from the past. Daichi already has the curious ability to sense Puyo from anywhere, so perhaps he already has some supernatural powers within' him.

Yeah, I'd like it if the Madou-era cast (with help from Fever and 7's casts) showed Daichi's world that magic still has its uses, since it'd be pretty likely that magic would be all but dormant at that point in time. If nothing else, they could at least teach Daichi, Marin, Sho,and Watty how to utilize magic, similar to how Arle taught Ringo in PP7. Also, Daichi had the ability to sense Puyo? That's interesting...

You know just thinking of the Madou/Fever/7 characters in the Gaiden Wars setting gives me the mental image of someone like Onion Pixy commanding the Protector Battle Mechs into battle, that would be sight to behold.

I imagine that could even be a plot point in the game, having the Madou, Fever, 7 characters ALL piloting mechs to help save Daichi's world. Heck, the story could be Puyo Puyo meets Kirby: Planet Robobot. Also, I'm imagining the likes of Carbuncle, Onion Pixy and Oniko, and EVEN Dongurigaeru commanding a mech into battle, and it would be glorious.

Puyo Tetris releasing here still surprises me. I still can't believe they're just now aware of the fact that this series has western fans.

Like @The Big Magma said, they're probably JUST realizing NOW that it would make them a profit.

.......Though, to be fair, Hosoyamada DID mention in an interview that he's been wanting to bring the series to the West starting since 15th Anniversary in 2006, so...

It's been said in an interview that Puyo Puyo Tetris was partially made to generate interest from western audiences, supposedly they were happy with the reactions they got, but I'm still convinced that it was the vocal demand for a Puyo Puyo Chronicle localization that got the ball rolling.

Well, looks like it certainly worked. I feel like the demand for Chronicles DID do quite a bit more, combined with the (TOTALLY UNNEEDED) release of Cranky Food Friends/re-skin of Puyo Puyo!! Quest.

I do recall GBA Puyo Pop mentioning something about a TV, but I don't know if that's just a translation quirk or what. But since that's set in the Madou world, I wonder if it's safe to say that they at least have television.

I pre-ordered Puyo Puyo Tetris. I do hope that game at least does well enough, if not super fantastic.

BTW, does ANYONE know just WHAT is the deal with Rafisol? The ONLY things I've heard about her at the moment are that she was spawned from Ally's neck pendant that ECOLO gave to her, the colors of her body are Ally's but inverted, she doesn't understand the concept of love, and she has the same potential as Ecolo to cause a reality-wide Puyo-pocalypse...which I suppose IS kind of a given, since Ecolo more or less partially created her from scratch.
I'm still fuzzy on her myself, with me having to rely on people who know japanese to explain that stuff n' all, the only other thing I know is that by the end she lives in the pendant and becomes a party member for post main-story stuff.

Yeah, that's the book alright. Like I've already said, I'm holding onto the notion that Compile and SEGA's Succubi ARE one and the same. BTW, Succubus wasn't the only one to get this treatment, right? I think...Lamia (If I'm wrong, please correct me) is in the same situation, isn't she? New design thanks to Quest, but the 25th Anniversary book states that they ARE the same person, but SEGA retooled her design to be more age-appropriate for Puyo Puyo's audience today. Speaking of that book, has ANYONE translated it yet, or is that just not happening?
Yeah, there was also Lamia, though that would be an incredibly sneaky example, if it was meant to be a hit for the Quest/Compile charas to be the same, since Lamia is a Madou Monogatari exclusive character.
Not sure if anyone is ever gonna translate it, though if PPT's western release does well then the inevitabile newby boom could be a major help to kick translation projects back into gear, especially since Puyo Nexus seems to have stopped working on any of theirs.

To be fair, I came across some fan-art that corresponds to the events that had taken place in the 5th Puyo Puyo Drama CD. You can find it here:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=41966514
I also came across an untranslated script for the Drama CD that has Succubus AND Incubus listed (I could recognize their names in Japanese), so...
Oh, Doppelganger Arle! I really ought to look deeper into these.

Also, Daichi had the ability to sense Puyo? That's interesting...
Not just that, but he is also the adoptive son of the unnamed Professor character and Marin has some connection to the rarely seen Pink Puyo, what exactly it is I'm not sure, but even those little factoids are already more info then I expected to dig up on such an obscure game.

Speaking of which, here is some art from a surpringly Gaiden Wars dedicated fan, It's nice they have a following, no matter how small it may be.

I imagine that could even be a plot point in the game, having the Madou, Fever, 7 characters ALL piloting mechs to help save Daichi's world. Heck, the story could be Puyo Puyo meets Kirby: Planet Robobot. Also, I'm imagining the likes of Carbuncle, Onion Pixy and Oniko, and EVEN Dongurigaeru commanding a mech into battle, and it would be glorious.
Carbuncle piloting the most metal as all get out mech in the world. Where is your god now?

combined with the (TOTALLY UNNEEDED) release of Cranky Food Friends/re-skin of Puyo Puyo!! Quest.
I'm still not sure what they were thinking with that, I mean did they really expect something good to come out of it and just for them to get tons of bad press and complaints?

I do recall GBA Puyo Pop mentioning something about a TV, but I don't know if that's just a translation quirk or what. But since that's set in the Madou world, I wonder if it's safe to say that they at least have television.

I pre-ordered Puyo Puyo Tetris. I do hope that game at least does well enough, if not super fantastic.

Really? Huh, I should check on that. Though considering the Madou world's interesting quirks, I wouldn't be too surprised if TV happened to be a thing.

Trust me, we're ALL hoping for that to be the case.

I'm still fuzzy on her myself, with me having to rely on people who know Japanese to explain that stuff n' all, the only other thing I know is that by the end she lives in the pendant and becomes a party member for post main-story stuff.

Aw, so you don't know much about her either? Honestly, the only thing I didn't know about her until now is that she goes back to living in Ally's pendant. Darn, I really hope someone at least translates that in-game character bio of hers. BTW, are there in-game character bios for Lagnus, Seriri, Harpy, Dongurigaeru, and Onion Pixy? I haven't seen any as of now...

Yeah, there was also Lamia, though that would be an incredibly sneaky example, if it was meant to be a hit for the Quest/Compile characters to be the same, since Lamia is a Madou Monogatari exclusive character.

Oh, right. Lamia NEVER even appeared in a Compile-made Puyo game. As I've said before though, I'll still take it as the two being same character. Same goes for Succubus.

Not sure if anyone is ever gonna translate it, though if PPT's western release does well then the inevitable newbie boom could be a major help to kick translation projects back into gear, especially since Puyo Nexus seems to have stopped working on any of theirs.

Honestly, THAT. That right there is at least part of why I'm PRAYING that PPT does VERY (if not EXTREMELY) well over here in the West.

Oh, Doppelganger Arle! I really ought to look deeper into these.

Speaking of that, you may remember that around the time I first came here I was asking you if you could translate Japanese? Well, the same artist had two Puyo comics that look like they're straight-up based on Puyo Puyo Drama CD stories. I was hoping if you couldn't translate it, you could post them on Tumblr. Here are the comics in question. They look REALLY interesting AND hilarious, in my opinion.

Here are the links to the stories below:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=48992263 - From what I SEE (I can't read Japanese to save my life), Ms. Accord dispatches Arle and Schezo to clear out ARMIES of Puyo avalanches across ALL of Primp Town caused by none other than the ruler of Puyo Hell himself, while getting under each other's skin.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=51902646 - Again, from what I can SEE, Amitie wants to BECOME a very RARE kind of beetle as a present for Sig, employing help from Raffine, Klug, Lemres, AND Schezo.

Not just that, but he is also the adoptive son of the unnamed Professor character and Marin has some connection to the rarely seen Pink Puyo, what exactly it is I'm not sure, but even those little factoids are already more info then I expected to dig up on such an obscure game.

Wow, for a game that's Japan-only, that IS quite a bit of info to suddenly come across. It's weird, but all of this alone seems to strengthen my headcanon of Daichi being Arle's descendant. BTW, does the game ever explain Daichi and Marin's unusual powers?

Speaking of which, here is some art from a surprisingly Gaiden Wars dedicated fan, It's nice they have a following, no matter how small it may be.

Wow, that art looks so cute! BTW, I may as well mention that the same person has some of the most ADORABLE Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari AND Dark Witch-specific art as well.

Here they are: http://nantara.kenkenpa.net/other/wandara/log_3mad.html (Puyo Puyo/MM) http://nantara.kenkenpa.net/other/wandara/log_3mad_dw.html (Dark Witch)

Carbuncle piloting the most metal as all get out mech in the world. Where is your god now?

........That is SO metal...(I hope 'Yu' can forgive me for the terrible joke...)

I'm still not sure what they were thinking with that, I mean did they really expect something good to come out of it and just for them to get tons of bad press and complaints?

You know what?...I'm actually starting to think SEGA WANTED this to happen, all for the sole sake of TRULY testing the waters. Think about it, CFF doesn't even LOOK like a SEGA game, and in this day and age, Puyo Puyo STILL gets re-skinned outside of Japan? There's no way. I bet they just wanted to see if everyone would want the REAL Puyo Puyo series brought over here.

BTW, are there in-game character bios for Lagnus, Seriri, Harpy, Dongurigaeru, and Onion Pixy? I haven't seen any as of now...
I don't think there are any for the skill batle/RPG mode charas, if there were they would have popped up by now.

Speaking of that, you may remember that around the time I first came here I was asking you if you could translate Japanese? Well, the same artist had two Puyo comics that look like they're straight-up based on Puyo Puyo Drama CD stories. I was hoping if you couldn't translate it, you could post them on Tumblr. Here are the comics in question. They look REALLY interesting AND hilarious, in my opinion.

Here are the links to the stories below:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=48992263 - From what I SEE (I can't read Japanese to save my life), Ms. Accord dispatches Arle and Schezo to clear out ARMIES of Puyo avalanches across ALL of Primp Town caused by none other than the ruler of Puyo Hell himself, while getting under each other's skin.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=51902646 - Again, from what I can SEE, Amitie wants to BECOME a very RARE kind of beetle as a present for Sig, employing help from Raffine, Klug, Lemres, AND Schezo.
I can't directly post them, because uploads with this many pics would be really obnoxious and I don't want to do that to anyone's Dashboard, however I did make a post with links to them, asking for at least a clarified context, I wouldn't hold my breath for a full translation, but maybe someone will help at least a bit.

BTW, does the game ever explain Daichi and Marin's unusual powers?
I think it does, but that's one of those things that I myself am very in the dark about.

Wow, that art looks so cute! BTW, I may as well mention that the same person has some of the most ADORABLE Puyo Puyo/Madou Monogatari AND Dark Witch-specific art as well.

Here they are: http://nantara.kenkenpa.net/other/wandara/log_3mad.html (Puyo Puyo/MM) http://nantara.kenkenpa.net/other/wandara/log_3mad_dw.html (Dark Witch)

Yep, I have seen that as well, really great stuff, the Gaiden Wars material just stood out to me the most, just for how pleasently surprising it is to see so much love for these characters.

You know what?...I'm actually starting to think SEGA WANTED this to happen, all for the sole sake of TRULY testing the waters. Think about it, CFF doesn't even LOOK like a SEGA game, and in this day and age, Puyo Puyo STILL gets re-skinned outside of Japan? There's no way. I bet they just wanted to see if everyone would want the REAL Puyo Puyo series brought over here.
Perhaps that was a form of gauging the interest in an unaltered Puyo title and whether or not people would react negatively to being denied such a game in favor of a reskin, it just seems like such an odd move, given how bad they made themselves look and how CFF bombed.

I don't think there are any for the skill battle/RPG mode characters, if there were they would have popped up by now.

I see. Seems a bit out of the ordinary, though. I mean, just because they're not playable in EVERY mode warrants NO character bios? Weird.

I can't directly post them, because uploads with this many pics would be really obnoxious and I don't want to do that to anyone's Dashboard, however I did make a post with links to them, asking for at least a clarified context, I wouldn't hold my breath for a full translation, but maybe someone will help at least a bit.

Oh, I totally understand. Still, if you're posting links, could you post these as well? If you find it excessive, then don't worry about them.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=4062776
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/comic/tel.htm
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/comic/arca_01.htm
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/log/pylog06.htm

I think it does, but that's one of those things that I myself am very in the dark about.

Oh, I see.

Yep, I have seen that as well, really great stuff, the Gaiden Wars material just stood out to me the most, just for how pleasantly surprising it is to see so much love for these characters.

Yeah, considering how even among the Puyo fandom, Gaiden Wars is VERY obscure, this is a very welcome.

Perhaps that was a form of gauging the interest in an unaltered Puyo title and whether or not people would react negatively to being denied such a game in favor of a reskin, it just seems like such an odd move, given how bad they made themselves look and how CFF bombed.

That's what I feel CFF truly was behind-the-scenes at SEGA. Who knows, maybe they weren't really planning on having that game be a permanent thing.

Oh, I totally understand. Still, if you're posting links, could you post these as well? If you find it excessive, then don't worry about them.

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=manga&illust_id=4062776
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/comic/tel.htm
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/comic/arca_01.htm
http://route87.chu.jp/gallery/log/pylog06.htm
I added them to the previous post, none of my followers are very active on weekends, so shouldn't make a difference.

Yeah, considering how even among the Puyo fandom, Gaiden Wars is VERY obscure, this is a very welcome.
Yeah and to be honest one of these days I want to try and beat it, I have sampled it before, but the strategy game angle makes it quite difficult for someone who doesn't speak a lick of japanese. Still, I was able to venture through the Madou Monogatari series just fine, so I'm sure I can power my way through this as well.

I just always had an odd fascination with Gaiden Wars, I think it's because it is so different and seperate from the rest of the franchise that I find it so interesting, plus, as this entire page so far will attest to, I think that there is a lot of potential in linking it and the regular games together, for at least one game.

Also, if that idea ever happens I hope they make a longer remix of this as Daichi's theme:

It may be because it plays before the opening match between Watty and Daichi, but I always kinda associated it with the latter, ever since first sampling the game. Plus I just think it's a cool theme in general, despite how short it is and Gaiden Wars remixes would be a no brainer for the kind of game we where discussing.

That's what I feel CFF truly was behind-the-scenes at SEGA. Who knows, maybe they weren't really planning on having that game be a permanent thing.
Considering how they never even bothered to bring it past soft release status that really wouldn't be shocking.

Last edited:
Back