Puyo Puyo

It's particulary curious since the artstyle they were going for really isn't that bad at all, judging from the MM: Final Test animated promo video :

So god knows what happened with the sprite art here, especially since all of the other Disc Station games, ranging from MM: TOTM (which came out only a year after Final Test) to spin offs like Comet Summoner or MadouRun , all have good art.

Edit: Also, I reuploaded Schezo's TOTM spriteset, no idea where these green spaces came from.

Last edited:
I was more of a Puyo fan than a Madou fan. You are way more into this than I ever was so there isn't a whole lot I can say anymore. Though to be fair to myself I guess I think it was harder to get into the Madou Monogatari series years ago.

True and I don't blame you for not having a lot to say, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of discussion to come out of Madou as it is, I just figured I'd continue to share my experiences and possibly give some insight on whats going on in these games, in case anyone is curious about them and if you or anyone else don't have anything to say I totally understand that.

Gosh, I suck at this Puyo Puyo thing. I'm no good with these type of games, not my thing. Somewhat reminds of Tetris a lot, other then that I'm not gonna play this game again until I get better Puyo Puyo skills, but first I'm gonna need fast better memory and stuff.

Stop with the bad attitude and I may stop with my joking around. I'm not even good at Dr.Mario/Luigi, small bit good at Tetris but need some lessons, so I should have guessed I would be bad at a game like Puyo Puyo. These type of games need quick thinking which I don't have.

I wonder if lessons for quick thinking exists.

Well anyway, I hope I didn't put a damper in your mood. I just wanted to express that I wish I could say more but I can't. I don't want my silence to seem like I don't care or anything. I'm appreciative of your posts. Really great stuff and like the effort and depth of them.

Well anyway, I hope I didn't put a damper in your mood. I just wanted to express that I wish I could say more but I can't. I don't want my silence to seem like I don't care or anything. I'm appreciative of your posts. Really great stuff and like the effort and depth of them.
Sorry for taking so long to say something (I didn't get an alert for some reason), but don't worry, I didn't take what you said in a negative way, if my Madou impression posts are interesting for those that read them, then that's more then enough for me, as long as someone enjoys them.

And yet another game done, I actually wasn't planning to go to another one this quickly, the thing is that the PC98 versions of the original trilogy require a certain comment in order to save and it has been bothering me for a long time now that I didn't know any way to save, but now that I found one I was just so estatic that I quickly went and played through Madou 1, that's what the feeling of triumph can do to you, I tell ya.

Story

It is a big day for 6 year old Arle as she has to pass one final exam, that involves climbing a tower filled with monsters and death traps, find three orbs and make it out alive in order to graduate from Madou Kindergarten. After she finds the orbs she is confronted by the rotting guru Fudoushi, who creates an illusion of her classmates melting in order to scare her off, despite this Arle engages in battle, wins and escapes the tower, passing her exam. The credits are also interesting, since they show Arle growing to an older child, a teenager and eventaully an adult, it obviously wasn't made with the other games in mind, since Carbuncle is never with her, but there is still something nice about it, at least in my opinion.

Graphics

The PC98 versions of MM 1,2 and 3 are known for trying to be more realistic with their art, which does make them a anomaly within the franchise, but I do really like the added detail that comes with it and the visual quality in general is top notch, thought some of the enemy redesigns could come off as very jarring for some, take Skeleton T and Suketoudara for example :
io3q6v.jpg

Personally I actually find them quite amusing, but I can see why others might be bothered by them.

These versions of the games are also known for their added grotesque and sometimes gory imagery, althought this game is much tamer then 2&3 in that regard, the only real examples here are a Zombie enemy that can sometimes turn into disgusting looking larves that are sitting in blood and Fudoushi (who replaces Mamono from the MSX2 version) and even then I don't find the latter to be all that intimidating, especially compared to his actually freaky CD Engine incernation:
qnqnir.jpg

PC98
nmkmja.jpg

CD Engine

Sound

As always music is completely subjectiv, but I personally enjoyed the soundtrack quite a lot, with this being my favorite song:

Gameplay

At this point it's clear that not a whole lot changes fundamentally between games, it's more about how each game handles the formula and this one has some interesting things to note.

There are fewer floors in comparison to the other games, but they are more elaborate, since you actually need to collect the orbs along the way, thankfully they are designed in a way that's easily comprahensable, so I never felt lost at any point, the one downside to it is that there aren't a whole lot of puzzles, althought I did like the larger scale of tall the floors enough to the point where it wasn't an issue, however there was one in particular that incolved combining items from my inventory and the language barrier made it pretty much impossible without a video walkthrough, I don't blame the game itself for it, but still...

As for the combat I liked how a number of spells weren't learned by leveling up, but rather by fighting optional enemys and getting scrolls from them, since it gives you more options in battle at a far earlier point then usual, if you bother to look out for them. The battle system itself isn't all that different from ARS, it works just as well and can be almost just as fast paced, with that said there are two issues that I have with the battling, which are also my only real problems with the game as a whole.

For one thing enemys give fewer EXP in comparison to the other games in the series, which means more grinding if you don't want to get whooped by the newest enemy types, I even played a bit of PC98 MM2 for comparisons sake and indeed, what might take me 2 or 3 battles for a level up in that game, takes 5-7 battles here. The other issue is that Arle has pitiful amount of magic power, which means you have to use refill items A LOT, which is never really an issue since money and shops are plentyfull, but in is an added inconvenience, especially since inventory space is limited and key items aren't seperatly stored.

With that said, outside of these two issues I honestly don't have anything bad to say, the grinding could get tiring at points, but the battle system is as solid as ever and the exploration aspect is great. I was expecting a lot of old school RPG issues that to my suprise never came (outside of the grinding issue) and combined with the good visuals, music and usual charm of the series, it made for an overall pleasent experience.

I'll probably go and get started on the other two games sometime next week (since I have other things planned for now), now that I can actually save and properly play them, it's also going to be a bit of a detour, since I wasn't planning to get into alternate versions until I played all of the ten individual installments first, but I may as well play PC98 Madou 2 alongside 1 and 3, especially since I never made an Madou 2 impressions post and only ever alluded to it.

Also, fun fact, this version added a character that debuted in MM2 as one of Arle's classmates:
2dgpaau.jpg

I think they call him the Dork Wizard or somethin'.

Last edited:
Why do I get this feeling that Suketoudara's design in this game would not be out of place in a Hannah-Barbera cartoon? Also, I think I see Skeleton T smiling a little.

Very interesting read. I'll have to look into it one of these days when I have a functioning computer of my own.

I figured I could make an example video, to show you guys what the differences between versions can be like, such as artstyle, interface and the battles themselves,so that you get more of an visual idea of what I'm always talking about and to show why I'm so eager to play every version that I can. I used the battle against Schezo in Madou 2 (well, first battle in the case of GG MM2 ) for it, since I feel that it works really well, for the sake of such an demonstration :

I let the PC98 version speak for itself. I have yet to beat any of the MSX2 original versions, but from the stuff I did play they are generally very vanilla and a bit bare bones, it should be said thought that Schezo can kill you in three hits in that version, even if you grind, so it's not as easy as it looks in the video. The Game Gear versions are generally touched up versions of the PC98 ones, just without....THAT kind of content, althought they do bring some unique stuff themselves, also the interface in the GG version is exactly what I'm talking about, whenever I praise the interface in TOTM, everything is visualised and easier to use for those not fluent in the japanese language.

Also, yet another fun fact, you might find the stuttering effect that is caused by the Diacute spell to be very similar to the one that occurs when you get high chains in the Fever onwards Puyo Puyo games, that's because it's a direct reference to the Madou series.

I always did like how the various ports of Compile's games have all these differences that make them all unique. Then there are those games that are sort of inbetween being ports and standalone games. I'm thinking of the Mega Drive and Super Famicom Madou games if you can recall what I'm trying to get at.

Yeah, those two games are essentially complete reimaginings of Madou 1, instead of just additional versions for other systems. Game Gear Madou 3 is also interesting in that regard, since the second half of that version follows a completely different sub plot, with different locations, dungeon layouts and Rulue as the final boss, instead of Minotauros,

That is indeed a great thing about a lot of these games and it makes playing all of them really worthwile.

Yes there we go. If I remember correctly the Super Famicom game was more of a traditional JRPG while the Mega Drive maintains the dungeon crawler gameplay. Although I can't post them I love the two versions of the battle theme.

You remember correctly and the Mega Drive version also revamped the battle system to be timing based and spells are initiated by button combinations, like in a fighting game.

I heard the two versions of the theme you mentioned before and while I do like them as well I'm still the most partial to the PC98 version, just for the instrumentation and how sinister it sounds.

I never heard that version before but it definitely sounds great. It seems the SFC version tried to do something different for the different gameplay.

Back