Puyo Puyo

Indeed, the first time I saw any gameplay from it I was really suprised, since I initially thought that only the Saturn game was that different.

Also:

Talking about the battle theme in it's different versions is a great segway, since I wanted to bring this channel up :
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBjWLQRQ9jpdQuYUOvfFY8A

If you are ever looking for a Puyo/Madou song then this is a great place to go, it says a lot about how plentyful of a selection it has when you can even find the music of Tsu's Wonderswan port there.

It's time for another entry of the Madou Fun'd (or whatever this would be called in DKVine style), this time with the PC98 version of Madou Monogatari 2, since I have already played and beaten the Game Gear version beforehand this one didn't take long to get through and I'm going to talk about both versions.

Story

It's been 10 years since the events of MM1, Arle, now 16 years old, is on her way to the Madou Magic School, when all of the sudden a wizard named Schezo appears in front of her and declares that he wants her powers. The thing is thought unlike in later games where he is an anti-hero at the very worst, he is a straight up cold hearted villain here, which I'm not a fan of to be honest, since it takes away many things that make me love him as a character, but since it is his very first appearence I feel like I can't really complain about it, since there were bound to be odditys. Anyway he uses a spell that knocks Arle out and she finds herself trapped in a cell in Schezo's dungeon. She manages to escape her cell and eventually reaches the exit of the dungeon and meets a small bird named Millu, who tells her of Lyla's Ruins, where a mystical jewel called Carbuncle is supposed to be hidden there. Before she can escape thought she is confronted by Schezo, who is bend on killing her for trying to flee (who the hell spat into his breakfest, that day?). Arle manages to win (and straight up murders him in the PC98 version) and makes her way to Lyla's Ruins. While exploring the ruins she keeps on finding letters from Rulue (stting up her debut in MM3 ) that are adressed to Satan, having never met either of them at that point she obviously has no idea what to make of it, but she does encounter Satan at least at the end of the game, he quickly falls in love and wants to marry her, Arle declines the offer, cue final battle. At the very end Arle enters a room which doesn't have the gem, but rather a rabbid like creature inside of it, the creature in question turns out to be Carbuncle, the two quickly befriend each other and leave the ruins together, ending Madou Monogatari 2.

The Game Gear version adds a bit more to the story, by showing how the events in the intro came to be (since the original versions already start with Arle and Schezo talking to each other) and by expanding Schezo's role, in the MSX2 and PC98 versions he bites it very early on, in the GG version thought he activly continues to hunt Arle down and need to be fought several more times, he becomes increasingly weaker with each encounter, to be point where he just collapses at one point. Arle's encounter with Satan is different, since she walks into him and Schezo fighting over something, the two then want her to side with one of them, while fighting the other, it doesn't really matter who you choose thought, since Schezo is knocked out either way and you need to fight Satan no matter what. Everything else about the story is the same.

Graphics

Most of the things I said about PC98 version of MM1 applie here as well, althought there aren't as many out there redesigns for the characters, but there are some more grotesque new characters, with the Test Body you fight after Schezo in the PC98 version being probably the most infamous case:
Testbody.png

The GG version uses a different artstyle that's much more akin to the Puyo Puyo games and it looks wonderful, especially in cutscenes, very vibrant and colorful, with a suprising amount of detail for a game on a 8-Bit Handheld.

Sound

As always, completely subjective, but I really like this soundtrack, with the main, Schezo dungeon and underground lair themes being my favorites:

Gameplay

One thing that really makes this game stand out is that unlike most other MM games, where you spend the entire game in one major area, this one has three Schezo's Dungeon, Lyla's Ruins and a third one that's heavily implied to be Hell (or Puyo Hell if you wish), it adds a certain sense of progression that benefits the feeling of being on an adventure. Once you reach Lyla's Ruins it also becomes very puzzle heavy, with rooms that have you ram against walls, in order to reveal new paths, teleport heavy rooms where you need to follow a pattern and one point where you need to collect three gem stones in order to access the final area, which is also where the warp ability rears it's ugly head. This ability will warp Arle one floor higher, which is harmless for most of the game, but when looking for the gemstones you will need to warp to floors you never visited before,a lot of which are worthless, find the gems, find a way to backtrack and dodge a multitude of traps, it might not sound like a big deal, but with how sizable the floors can be and without any sort of hint on whether or not you are on the right track and the general Trial & Error nature of it all, it's pretty damn draining and the one part of the game that I didn't like, everything else is fine. The battle system is the same as in MM1, but the EXP issue has been fixed and the spikes in difficulty have become a non issue, thanks to the critical hit trick. The GG version outside of removing the gore stuff and adding more Schezo appearences is mostly the same, altought it added a second form to the final battle.

So outside of the gem stone hunt I can easily classify this as one of my favorites in the series so far, it's the story and sense of adventure that do it for me and it has grown on me a lot since the first time I played it. I prefer the GG version by a bit due to the artstyle, better interface (the video on the previous page shows what I mean) and Schezo's expanded role, which makes him a bit more in line with his later depictions, due to the more comedic nature of his later appearences and him being willing to aid Arle, should she side with him before the final battle.

Next up on the agenda is MM3 and after that The Final Test, which will round up the 8 dungeon crawlers, out of (what are officially considert to be) the 10 individual Madou installments.
tumblr_n67p7hjg0g1rr29gyo1_400.png

Even Carbuncle is amazed at how fast this is going.

Last edited:
I just noticed that I never made a write up about Arle's and Rulue's storys in ARS, so I'm gonna do a quick one right now.

Story

Arle
Arle (4 years old) is wandering outside of her grandmother's house, when she sees Carbuncle for the first time, he runs into the nearby forest and Arle tries to follow him, but ends up lost instead. While trying to find a way out of the forest she ends up saving a fairy from a cage and get's attacked by Owlbear, who is terrorizing the fairys of the woods, Arle saves them one by one and recieves her magic powers she has in later games (appearently she didn't have them by birth) from them. After defeating Owlbear a third time he leaves the forest and the fairys help Arle to find her way out as well and reunite with her grandmother

Rulue
Rulue (16 years old) wakes up in an unfamilliar castle, with a nearby butler telling her that she was kidnapped by a man named Count, Rulue knocks the butler out and explores the castle. She eventually meets Satan for the first time, who is trying to find Count, since he kidnapped Carbuncle as a means to get whatever he wants from Satan, in exchange for his beloved pet. Rulue decides to help him and eventually finds Count, who reveals that he kidnapped Rulue because he wanted more hostages for the sake of getting the dark prince to obey him. Count manages to ambush Rulue and attacks her relentlessly, but Satan comes to the rescue, heals Rulue and the two proceed to beat the hell out of Count (very cathartic, I might add ) Rulue is touched by the rescue and falls in love with Satan, who now reunited with Carbuncle thanks her for her help and bids goodbye, ending Rulue's story.

Schezo

I already covered his story before, but since then I did read up some of the finer details and they are intriguing, since appearently Runelord was activly looking for a succesor and according to an ancient in-universe language Schezo's name and Areiado translate to ''The Gorgeous Man who defiles the God'' and ''Breaking of an Angel's Wings'', this coupled with Runelord stating that he is ''planting the seeds of evil'' within Schezo by letting him optain dark magic strongly suggest that Schezo's villainous behavior in MM2 (his next chronological appeareance) may have been a result of him getting corrupted by said dark magic and that he snapped out of it after his defeat in MM2, hence why he isn't a villain anymore after that. It's not outright stated to be the case, but it is heavily implied.

Graphics/Sound

I don't know if I ever said much about the visuals, if I didn't I'll just say that I really love the sprite art in this game. both in gameplay and especially in the intro and story scenes :

The detail and color pallete just really click with me.

Music is still great as well, Schezo's story has a lot of my favorite songs, but the other two storys have plenty of good tunes as well, ''Fiend Empire'' from Arle's story being one particulary notable example since it is the most popular song of the game :

Gameplay

It's kind of hard for me to say much here since I already talked about it a fair bit after playing Schezo's story, the dungeons are well designed, the battles are fast paced and fun to speed through (althought my point about commands changing their placements on the grid when used still stands) and while the language barrier did make a few parts harder then they needed to be (the first time through anyway) it never got annoying to me.

The girls do have some special means of exploration (with Schezo being more traditional), Rulue get's the ability to shrink herself in order to access certain areas. while Arle can go trough hedges in the forest, which is neccessary for the sake of finding fairys or other goodies, it may not sound like much, but I think it's a great addition, since it adds to the exploration factor and always makes you wonder what could be on the other side, which keeps things interesting. ARS is mostly about refining what the original trilogy estaplished and it does that very well, but as a result there isn't a whole lot to compare or say, the difficulty is better balanced the dungeon designs are tighter and battles are quicker, that's the basic gist of things.

While I still consider Tower Of The Magician to be my favorite game in the series because it's Schezo's very own game of how well designed and easily accesible it is, ARS isn't far behind at all, I'm not saying that my lack of complaints means I think it's perfect (no game is), but the fact that I have played it and can't think of anything bad to say is at least a testament to how much enjoyment I got out of it, there was never a dull moment for me, the visuals and graphics really hit a sweet spot with me and the backstory aspect makes it a treat for anyone who is a fan of the characters, even if that makes me even more sad that the Fever and 7 characters will never get to star in this kind of game.

I got something special for you guys, it's in regards to this game:
96j49e.jpg

Yep, Sega Saturn Madou Monogatari, because guess what, I was able to track down a full translation of the game's script :
http://cw.nanako.moe/wiki/Log:MMS_Translation

I have heard about it before on both Puyo Nexus and Tumblr, but the only link there was is broken nowadays and while Compile Worlds isn't really a wiki in that sense, I have seen two Nexus members that are more fluid in japanese (including the very same one that is currently translating the Puyo Light Novels) confirm that it is a legit translation (the fact that it was done by someone with no ties to the wiki also helps), complete with video links to a playthrough for you to read along.

I'm tempted, but won't read any deeper into this until I get to the game, but for anyone who wants to look into it, here is everything you need.

It's time for another entry in my Madou Monogatari Marathon, this time with yet another detour, because with my discovery of the Saturn Madou translation I decided to switch to that game, instead of doing MM3 next, like I initially planned. So buckle up guyz, this one is going to be a bit different.

Story

The beginning the game tells us of the tales of Lagnus the Brave and how he managed to defeat the spawn of the evil Yoggus and seal him away in the fittingly named ''Tower Of Sealing''. In the current days thought the seal is starting to weaken and Lagnus sees no other choice but to head to the tower and take Yoggus out for good. When it seems like he is about to lose against the evil monster the light warrior channels all of his power into his sword and makes one final strike, however he forgot that the Yogs exist in every dimension, so the central Yoggus that all the other ones spawned from(only killing this particular one will take them out for good) opens a warphole to another dimension and sucks the weakened Lagnus into it, leaving his fate uncertain. We cut to a different location where we see a hooded man tell this story to a bunch of children, Arle is also listening from farther away, but can't help but feel like it might be more then just a story. That night something crashes in the mountains near the town close to where Arle lives and it not only causes everyone there to go mad, but also engulfs everything in some kind of smoke, so she and Carbuncle decide to try and find the root of this problem.
They eventually find out that it was caused by some kind of plant that suddenly grew there and contaminated the area. Carbuncle destroys it with his laser and the two decide to team up with Rulue. They also run across Schezo, who initially isn't interested in helping them out, but end up saving them later on and suddenly shows himself quite knowledgable about the Yogs and their goal to disrupt the natural order of the world. The girls are naturally confused about his sudden change of heart, but ultimatly let him join them, however as the game goes on they notice that Schezo is acting stranger by the minute, going to investigate on his own for a bit, only to return later on and claim that he has no idea what they want from him, it get's to the point where even he starts to worry about his mental health, since he essentially keeps passing out and finds himself in situations with no idea how any of them came to be. Eventually the other Schezo personality reveals itself to be Lagnus, who has periodically taken over Schezo's body in order to do something against the Yogs, however he can only ever take over Schezo for a short period of time, before he get's forcefully ejected. His real body is sealed away in a crystal, so the heroes go and ask Satan if he knows anything and in fact he does reveal that he is not entirely innocent, as far as everything that's going on is concerned, he escapes and the heroes go to fend of the last Yogs in hope that it will break the crystal. It does and they even get Schezo to help them on his own accord, however Lagnus' body has regressed to the one of a child, due to him using up all of his power in the prolog. The heroes meet Satan in an underground complex and find out that he was the one who opened the portal that the Yogs came from, not knowing they were malicious creatures and has been trying to keep Yoggus from entering the Madou world since then, he also saved Lagnus' live by sealing his body and letting it heal for some time, because he would have died otherwise. Lagnus reclaims his sword and his power and is accompanied by Arle and Rulue for his final battle against the original Yoggus. The heroes prevail, but Lagnus decides to not stay with them, but to return to his own home world instead, but not before Satan reveals to him that he was planning everything that happened, since he wanted to see if the citizens of his world are willing to fight for it (a nod to the Shin Madou novel series) and also tells him that his sealing cured Lagnus of any curses that got inflicted on him on his many adventures, so that he doesn't need to worry about being dangerous to the Madou world, should he ever come back and the two part ways at last, promising to meet each other again.

Graphics

The visuals are a treat, especially in battles where they are nicely detailed and just have a ton of personality to them, the attack animations are also very fun to watch, whether it's Arle engulfing her enemys in a spiked iceball or Schezo slashing his opponents at superhuman speed via Areiado Special, it never got old for me and they are fast paced tooo, so they don't slow the battles down to any degree.

The non-battle visuals are good as well, they are bit unusual with the dungeon layout practicly floating over a very detailed backround, but I think it woks in it's own odd way:
2prb9sm.jpg

Also, just to bring up the mugshots during dialog sequences real quick, Schezo has the best ones, without a doubt:
2ewdxyw.jpg

Sound
Yet again, completely subjective, but you can be sure that I liked the music, with the regular battle theme being my favorite:

Gameplay

This game yearns to be more like your typical JRPG and it shows in many ways. such as playtime, while the dungeon crawlers are usually 4-6 hours long at the most, this one is around a tad longer then your average Mario RPG, which I had no problem with, since no point in the game felt like uninportant filler.

The different locations are accessed via a map, just like in Super Mario RPG, the towns are ptetty basic and small, there is one time where there is more going on, but usually you are only there to buy items/equipment and talk to NPCs in order to find out about the next location.

The ''dungeon'' areas are build like mazes, where you go on a restricted path and uncover areas, in order to progress or find hidden treasures, it is actually very much like the dungeon crawling in previous games, just in an isomatric perpective, I was suprised at how similar it felt. Of course there are also puzzles, but they never get anymore complicated then something you would see in a Pokemon game, just pay attention to your sorroundings and know how to use the field abilitys of your characters and you will be fine. I do wish there was some kind of map feature thought, it's sometimes easy to get lost at times and some simple look around optiond would have prevented some pointless sessions of back and forth, especially in the final ''full'' dungeon which is quite massive, to the point where you are better off uncovering the secrets on you way out, so that you only have the right way, without any extra paths to confuse you.

The battle system has also changed, the game drops the numberphobic nature the series is known for and gives you actual stats for your HP and MP, in addition to that there is also also a SP gauge, that will build itself up much like in a fighting game and will allow you to unleash an especially devestating attack, once it is filled up. Another addition is that you now have a party and don't just travel on your own, you initially start as Lagnus, but then switch to Arle, Rulue will be the second member for most of the game, but there are plenty of other ones that will join you at certain points, with the most prominent one being Schezo, but you will also be accompanied by Draco or Momomo for instance, just to name two, with Lagnus returning to the fray during the climax, all of them have their own specific abilitys and they feel balanced, so that you don't feel like you were forced to trait a good member for an inferior one. The battle system itself is exactly what you would expect it to be you have your offensive and defensive spells, elemental attacks, physical attacks, debuffs, multy and silgle target spells,etc,etc, if you ever played an RPG you know what you are getting yourself into. Big praise goes to the bosses and grinding, the former because they all feel very unique and often have some gimmick, such as Owlbear, who needs to be set on fire, before he can be damaged and latter because I never needed to do any of it, no matter how tuff a boss was I always got trough just by strategizing well and never needed to stop in my tracks and grind for a few levels.

If you want to know more about anything specific feel free to ask, I have quite a bit on my mind having just beaten the game and have a bit of a hard time to really express everything in a coherent way, so I could have glanced over something that may interest you and if that's the case just ask away.

From a personal perspective I was amazed at how much I loved this game, it's pretty divisive for breaking from the usual gameplay style and yes, there are more complex RPGs out there, but for my money it did everything it did well really well, never got boring for me and it is awesome from a fan perspective, with how it crammed almost every character that appeared in Puyo Puyo at that point into it, even minor ones like Jan or the Banshee Trio and it's just nice to see Lagnus essentially be the main character of the game, given how much he tends to get the shaft.

I'm going to take a small break from the marathon from the time, because Star Fox Zero has been sitting on my shelf since friday and it's demanding my attention.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's really cool to hear and yeah, the thread has come very far, being the General Gaming thread with the most views and second most replies, I never would have expected it to do that well, so consider me impressed.

I want to share an image I commissioned from dA.
M7N8VaF.jpg

I got it from this artist. I rather like what I got from her, and it was fairly cheap.

I'm going to Comic-Con next week, too, and I have some Puyo Puyo images in my mind I wanna commission, including a shipping one (oh, and some non Puyo commissions like Lupin the 3rd, from, well, Lupin the 3rd, since I think he's more versatile with art styles that suit him). Be prepared.

I was wondering where that Arle outfit I saw in fanarts came from...

It's nice and all, but where's the game? Is there one? If not...not the first 25th Anniversary to go without a proper title (looking at you, Mega Man).

I wouldn't count a new one getting released out quite yet, considering that even Sonic's Anniversary title has yet to be revealed (and let's be honest, we know the blue fucker will get one), so there is still time, thought I wouldn't get my hopes up.

I wouldn't be too upset to be honest, because at the very least Sega finally confirmed that the 3D Classics Collection will come to Europe, so that's something I can be happy about, because western Puyo releases are big enough miracles as it is.

Last edited:
Got the Classics collection. If you already have the Virtual Console version of Tsu, then you're not missing a lot other than slightly superior audio quality.

Still, glad I got it, and it's better than getting zilch. Just don't go in expecting stuff you haven't seen if you've played through the Virtual Console release. There isn't even a new translation here.

I admit, I'm a bit disappointed, but I'll keep supporting the series as best as I can. :)

Of course, I went to comic con. I've already put these (plus my Lupin and Jigen images) on Tumble, but for those who don't got to My Blob, here they are;
Feli Comission.jpg

This is more of a rectification of a past commission from the same artist. As you know, I feel Feli didn't look quite like herself. So I decided to comission this, but told him to make her look more sinister. I'd assume somebody's talking to Lemres, and she's not happy.

Sigami.png

I promised I'd commission it, so I did. I admitted it was a bizarre request, but he was willing. It looks rather cute, though a bit different from what I expected.

IMG_0001.jpg

I am gonna be honest, Sig doesn't look his best here. Looks kinda derpy, in a way. But hey, you get what you paid for.

Amitie Comission.jpg

Amitie looks good here. This art was done by a husban/wife team, though the wife was gonna draw it on her own. However, she left to attend a panel she had to go to, and when time crunches involving my aunt getting worried entered, the husband decided to finish it. I do appreciate it, though, and I wasn't even expecting him to color it.

So that's some of the stuff I got at Comic-Con.

I have Puyo Pop Fever, but I was never able to get into it and just kept failing.
Today, I found out you need to save your settings by choosing back, instead of pressing B. So now I could finally play on Very Easy difficult, and I turned out to not be as terrible as I thought d:p
Still, though, I'm not the best at this... d:rolleyes:

You don't need to be great at it to enjoy it.

I think my skills improvedva little. Though Puyo Puyo Tetris did teach me how awful I am at Tetris. :p

Reactions: 607
Back