Puyo Puyo

I've just found this thread,and I'm sorry if I'm necroposting,but I've only really played Puyo Pop (GBA),and Puyo Puyo,and Dr. Robotnic's Mean Bean machine if that counts! =) Though I thoroughly enjoyed the games that I did play.
Arle (4 years old)
Wait she's a 4 year old!?!? She's pretty tall for her age...

She was four years old in the chronologically first Madou Monogatari game. Most of her appearances, she's 16, I think.

But in all versions of the first Madou Monogatari game, she's a child. A child seeing some terrifying shit in some PC versions, but still.

She was four years old in the chronologically first Madou Monogatari game. Most of her appearances, she's 16, I think.

But in all versions of the first Madou Monogatari game, she's a child. A child seeing some terrifying shit in some PC versions, but still.

Okay,That makes way more sense. .3. I should get around playing more Puyo Puyo games because I don't understand what half of the people are talking about here. XD

It's been a while since I did a Madou impressions post, not because of waning interest from my end mind you, but rather because my private life has been rather busy in recent times and I didn't feel like putting up with the extra busywork that comes from the language barrier, but now I finally took the time to continue my Madou binge, with Madou Monogatari 3 in it's PC98 iteration.

Story

It's been a few weeks after the events of Madou 2, when Arle runs across Rulue for the first time, who is royally pissed when she sees that Carbuncle is with her, because long ago Satan made a vow that he would give ol' kaa-kun (the thing he treasures most) to his future wife. Rulue not knowing how the two actually met expects the worst and sends Minotauros after Arle,who manages to escape into the forest and fights her way through an underground complex, only for her fingers to crack up and bleed from frostbite, due to her overusing the ice spell. In a nearby town she finds out that the raw materials she needs for a medicine are found in the ''Mokemoe Labyrinth'', which nobody can get through because of the monsters that suddenly turned up there. Arle, never one to turn down a adventure, goes there and ends up running across Rulue and Minotauros again at the very end. After a long and hard as balls battle, Rulue reveals that the area belongs to her and she doesn't want people to just freely enter it, which is why she sent out the mosters in order to scare everyone off, Arle manages to convince Rulue that she has no interest in Satan and even offers her a spot in her magic school, so that she can learn magic herself and impress the dark prince with her newfound skills, in exchange to let people enter the Labyrinth again, for the sake of getting the materials for the medicine, Rulue agrees to the deal which ends Madou 3.

Graphics

Pretty much everything I said about the visuals in the first two games applies here as well, so here are our redesigns of the day, this time with Harpy and Zombie:
dsssssd.JPG
fffe.JPG

And don't forget the Banshee Trio:
bansheepc98.jpg

Then there is also this guy:
Dullahammadou2.png

His name is Dullaham, he is a boss that initially starts as a swordsman, but get's beheaded towards the end of the battle, much like Schezo in PC98 MM2, exept even worse, due to the ungodly agonizingly painful scream he lets out upon losing his head, it's honestly chilling.

Music

While the soundtrack as a whole isn't quite on the same level as the ones from the first two games in my opinion, it still has it's winners, especially the final dungeon theme:

Gameplay

This game introduces a mechanic that I wish other games in the series would have kept, basically if you pay attention to Arle's health mugshot you will notice that Carbuncle (who is also seen there) changes his expression from tired to happy, that's because he is a charging an attack that you can only use once until it needs to charge again for a while, but it is very powerful, to the point were most mooks go down in one hit, it's a neat mechanic that can really get you out of trouple and gives Carbuncle an actual role in combat, outside of just randomly making a single attack whenever he feels like.

With the original trilogy all being bundled to together as parts of a single release it's not suprising that the dungeon crawling once again hasn't changed much, in fact, it is very much like Madou 2, with it's use of multiple major areas, instead of having only a single one for the whole game and it's style of puzzles, even the Warp spell returns, much to my initial horror, but thankfully it's much better used here and as a result there is no equivalent to the gem hunting from 2, thank christ.

The battle encounters have taken up a notable notch in difficulty, witch some really nasty enemy strategys, like being able to send your Diacute buffed spells back to you full force, essentially one hit killing you, or Zombie who loves to poisen his opponents, the final boss (Minotaros) takes the cake thought, since he has a very beefy amount of health, his attacks pack a punch and almost all of them are multi-hit attacks, I'm at a point now where I know what the status effecting spells are very useful for and always make sure to at least grind a couple of levels on every floor, just to be secure and yet I still struggled against him, I'd even say that he is the biggest obstacle that I have had to overcome so far in this series (which makes you wonder why Madou demoted him even worse then Puyo did ).

In the end I do think that Madou 3 is the most solid game in the original trilogy in terms of raw design, but as a whole package I still like Madou 2 a little more, especially for the story, atmosphere and music, but I do like both games quite a lot so it's not like I'm talking down on 3, it doesn't do much new in terms of gameplay, but it provides a good challenge introduces our final Compile era main character and is still an enjoyable experience, if you like that kind of game.

No idea when I'll get to the next game, but I'm glad that I got around to finally play this one and wrap up the original three games that started this whole franchise that I'm way to much in love with.

Last edited:
Just quickly chiming in to say that I found a neat site that provides isolated sprites from various Puyo/Madou titles :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1.htm

More precisly from the Madou Monogatari series :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1-2.htm

A couple of DiscStation spinoffs :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1-3.htm

The Nazo Puyo series :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1-4.htm

The Compile era mainline Puyo titles:
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1-5.htm

Arle No Bauken, Puyo Puyo Gaiden: Puyo Wars and Waku Waku Puyo Dungeon :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/a1-6.htm

Now none of these selections are complete, but these kinds of isolated sprites aren't that common to come across for this series, especially as far as Madou is concerned, so it's still very nice to have and I figured someone might get some use out of them, so I thought I'd share it here.

Graphics

Pretty much everything I said about the visuals in the first two games applies here as well, so here are our redesigns of the day, this time with Harpy and Zombie:
index.php
index.php

And don't forget the Banshee Trio:
index.php

Then there is also this guy:
index.php

His name is Dullaham, he is a boss that initially starts as a swordsman, but get's beheaded towards the end of the battle, much like Schezo in PC98 MM2, exept even worse, due to the ungodly agonizingly painful scream he lets out upon losing his head, it's honestly chilling.
Wow.

I...I...That's just...

Boy, am I glad this series turned out the way it did later.

I'm going to guess most of you know of these shorts,but I actually found these on my own too...at least these videos. As far as I know there is 9,there may be more. I haven't looked into it too much.

Well, it's that time again, moahr Madou impressions, this time with ''The Final Test'', the first of the Windows trilogy (albeit the last one I got to).

Story

This game takes place after the original Madou trilogy and before all of the other games, it initially starts as a throwback to Madou 1, with Arle attending to her final exam of the year, which involves dungeon crawling, Rulue and Minotauros also participate (remember how Rulue accepted Arle's offer, at the end of MM3 ), Schezo is there too, since he is interested in a magical artifact that is supposedly hidden in the tower where the exam takes place and Satan is the headmaster of the school, just like in Secret Of Elysium.

After a while thought, things take a darker turn, with Satan being reluctant to let Arle progress and wouldn't you know it, the coming floors suddenly change in atmosphere and enviroment almost as if they were a different dimension entirely. Not only that, but Arle and Rulue run into Schezo, who is trying to prevail against the seemingly invincible main antagonist of the game: Phantom God :
phgod.gif

The two try to help him, but prove to be just as ineffective against the new foe, so Schezo in hopes that they can find a way to beat Phantom God, uses a spell that allows the girls to escape, while he sacrifices himself by taking a fatal blow and getting himself killed in the process.

Arle while distraught over Schezo's demise, presses onwards and encounters Doppelganger Arle (the same one from Puyo Puyo-n) and a group of bosses called the ''Jewel Guardians'', defeating them gives her the means to challenge Phantom God and eventually come out triumphant, doing so grands her the Seraphim Orb, which allows her to pass the exam.

Schezo's ultimate fate is kind of a complicated subject, there is an explanation as to how he came back in one DiscStation issue, but I have heard conflicting storys about what it was, so I won't go into that since I can't say for sure, the only thing that matters is that he came back,

Graphics

This game uses the same artstyle as Secret of Elysium, so most of what I said back when I wrote about that one applies here as well, althought here are some more sprites, just so you can see for yourself :
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/de-tamaH3.htm
http://okiraku06.lolipop.jp/okiraku/de-tamaH2.htm

Now granted visuals aren't everything and a few like Skeleton T or Mamono did come out fine (suprisingly), but for a series that usually does really well in this department this is a pretty big letdown, I mean just compare Final Test and Tower of the Magician Schezo :
schez2.gif
schez1.png

It just makes you wonder what happened, ya know?

Music

While there are original tracks a majority of the soundtrack consists of remixes from 1-3 and ARS and I'm perfectly okay with that, like the ''Beginnings of the Dark Wizard'' remix:

Gameplay

The Windows games are much like 1-3 in the sense that many things stay the same, the battle system hasn't changed at all between them, for instance, but there are some neat ideas here and there, like special doors that can only be opened by putting Puyos that you collect in battles and putting four of the same color into the fitting sockets in order to make them pop, which opens the doors or another floor where there were plattforms that would catapult you around and you have to make sure that you get flung where you need to go, by messing with nearby switches, I thought those were neat ideas.

As far as everything else is concerned I can say that this certainly a predecessor to Tower of the Magician, with some themes and puzzle concepts that would later come up in the latter game, with that said I think that TOTM did a better job overall, especially with how every floor in that game had a very distinct feeling to it, Final Test attempts to do that and does come up with some interesting ideas, but a number of floors do feel a bit cut and paste, with the same type of switch puzzle over and over again, which hurts it a little, it also doesn't help that things don't really start to pick up until Schezo kicks the bucket, they do refer to the fact that something is going to happen, but the real meat of the story doesn't come in until late into the game and they don't really do enough with the Madou 1 throwback concept for it to be interesting on it's own.

I was iffy on this game at first, due to it being one of the least liked games in the series, but as a whole I thought it was fine and inoffensive, it's just one od those cases where the sequel does such a better job and unlike 1-3 which were similar to each other, but also had enough going for them to stand out as unique in on way or another; Final Test struggles to stand out among the other two windows games (Secret of Elysium at least had a very odd, yet interesting style of puzzles, as I mentioned back then) , there are plot elements and gameplay concepts that do stick out, but they are pretty sparse, so what you are left with an installment that feels like a proto TOTM in many ways, but it still enjoyable, it's not like it has instances of bad design or lack of polish. It just doesn't have much that we haven't seen before and the artstyle is.... questionable as well.

To cap this off there are two more things about this game,that I'd like to share.

First off, it features the return of Lala, a character previously exclusive to the Mega Drive version of Madou 1 :
tumblr_o47855T0fz1v39q72o2_400.png

lala.gif

I thought that was a very neat suprise, since non-mook Madou only characters don't usually reappear between games. No Camus (from Game Gear and Mega Drive Madou 1) unfortunatly, althought they did bring him back in another DiscStation game:
15x97jc.jpg

So it all balances out in the end.

And lastly, in addition to the regular credits the game disc also has an anime short that doesn't play during the actual game, so if you haven't seen it before enjoy:

It'd be nice to try and find more Puyo games and not just stick with Tsuu, but the majority of the games are Japan only. Makes it harder to find them, having PP20th or PP7 on the DS would be great since those games have really good songs.

Back