Puyo Puyo

My friend and I run a discord and a website featuring Puyo Puyo universe and I would like to point out a few things.

You are correct in that a lot of Madou-era characters have been flanderized, and a lot of focus has being on the 'A' and Satan / Ecolo, and a lot of times. As well as certain groups confined to each other (like Lemres/Feli and Amitie/Sig/Raffina). Other characters are just kind of there.

I apologize in advance if I say anything negative about someone's favorite character. I have no problem if you like a character I don't or vice versa. That is perfectly fine.

When I read forums, I notice Rulue gets a lot disproportionate hate sometimes.

Like a lot of the cast, Rulue wasn't always a one note character. When she first debuted in MM3 she wasn't even a martial artist, and her not being able to use magic wasn't even a thing (everyone in Madou Monogatari). Then ARS came out where she was rewritten as a martial arts "fighter", helped rescue Carbuncle from Count and then Satan came to rescue her during her final battle with Count, which was the very first time anyone ever cared for her, and it turned out he was only after Carbuncle. We learned in Spring Break her parents pretty much blew her off

During the light novels, Rulue actually goes out of her way to help the 'A' Trio when their interests don't conflict *cough* Satan *cough* and in Madou Saturn actually helps Arle fight Satan instead of stop Arle, as well as save Arle and Schezo's life in Spring Break. Rulue actually goes out of her way to do things like cook to in order to present herself as a better wife for Satan, instead of just simply expecting Satan to love her, just because. Rulue actually sacrificed herself to protect Arle so she can defeat the Creator in Ragnarök (which is the reason the Puyo world exists at all).

I am just so in love with the whole "girly martial artist" thing, and the fact she can't use magic when everyone else can (other than physical monsters), just endears me to her further. I feel a lot of the complaints about Rulue are often gendered, usually when a female character has any type of emotion, they are suddenly a tsundere, a *****, or have PMS, whathaveyou, when males can be just as emotional as women do (usually women are the ones who get away with it more), which usually stem from the double standards each gender has with each other.

Schezo doesn't seem to get even half the flack Rulue does, even though that his whole thing is using his Dark Magic to steal other people life forces for maintaining his immortality, and in PPT he gets an entire chapter devoted to him trying to chase down Sig and cuts his arm off. Rulue used her love in PPT actually managed to break out of Ex's possession/mind control, and then we never hear from her again (in fact, this was the only time anyone actually came out of mind control on their own).

I also don't like the fact she gets compared to Raffina, because it's like comparing a well cooked steak to a baloney sandwich. I don't like how they just automatically get along and every scene they are in togehter it's "hey were the same trope". Rulue's wishes and goals usually involve marriage, Raffina just wants to be beautiful and worshipped. Raffina actually goes out to picks fights with people, Rulue leaves other people well enough alone. Rulue's a country girl that loves being in the forest, Raffina is a city girl who can't go two minutes into the woods without getting lost (as evidenced by the the path she takes in fever).

There is this one scene that was my absolute favorite in this 20th. Rulue X Lidelle is absolutely adorable. There interactions are both completely believable, and Rulue goes the whole time without mentioning Satan. Lidelle trying to learn from Rulue is just one of the most heartwarming things ever. Nothing in this scene is forced and it feels like two real people are getting to know each other.

Lidelle X Rulue is the scene at 14:05.

I would like to see Rulue actually find someone that makes her happy. But not that that Satan dude. I wouldn't wish that guy on anyone.

Last edited:
Yep, that just about sums up my headcanon about Doppel being the Puyo circus' true owner.

Rulue - Maybe it's just me, but....she sounds...YOUNGER than I'd expect. But I suppose I haven't exactly heard enough of her to say for sure. For now, I'll just chalk it up to "Her voice works for her."

Rulue is actually 18, which is two years older than Arle (who is 16). In spite of this she is noticeably taller than a lot of the female cast. In most fantasy worlds with different sentient species, such as elves and dwarves, let alone one with sentient monsters like Suketoudara, different type of humans are hardly noticeable. Give Rulue's family has a martial background, I often thing that Rulue's inability to use magic may come her bloodline, (similar to Arle who is a reincarnation of Lillith). In Skyrim terms, Rulue would be a Nord/Imperial hybrid and Arle would be a Breton.

I much, much MUCH prefer the JP voice of Rulue. The PPT English one sounds a like she's the girlfriend of a New York gang leader. "Americanizing" her martial arts moves makes them sound a lot less exotic. A lot of JRPGs usually have standard names for spells, but marital arts attacks still have Japanese sounding names. Even in the JP games Arle still says "Fire!" and "Ice Storm!"...

My friend and I run a discord and a website featuring Puyo Puyo universe and I would like to point out a few things.

You are correct in that a lot of Madou-era characters have been flanderized, and a lot of focus has being on the 'A' and Satan / Ecolo, and a lot of times. As well as certain groups confined to each other (like Lemres/Feli and Amitie/Sig/Raffina). Other characters are just kind of there.

I apologize in advance if I say anything negative about someone's favorite character. I have no problem if you like a character I don't or vice versa. That is perfectly fine.

When I read forums, I notice Rulue gets a lot disproportionate hate sometimes.

Like a lot of the cast, Rulue wasn't always a one note character. When she first debuted in MM3 she wasn't even a martial artist, and her not being able to use magic wasn't even a thing (everyone in Madou Monogatari). Then ARS came out where she was rewritten as a martial arts "fighter", helped rescue Carbuncle from Count and then Satan came to rescue her during her final battle with Count, which was the very first time anyone ever cared for her, and it turned out he was only after Carbuncle. We learned in Spring Break her parents pretty much blew her off

During the light novels, Rulue actually goes out of her way to help the 'A' Trio when their interests don't conflict *cough* Satan *cough* and in Madou Saturn actually helps Arle fight Satan instead of stop Arle, as well as save Arle and Schezo's life in Spring Break. Rulue actually goes out of her way to do things like cook to in order to present herself as a better wife for Satan, instead of just simply expecting Satan to love her, just because. Rulue actually sacrificed herself to protect Arle so she can defeat the Creator in Ragnarök (which is the reason the Puyo world exists at all).

I am just so in love with the whole "girly martial artist" thing, and the fact she can't use magic when everyone else can (other than physical monsters), just endears me to her further. I feel a lot of the complaints about Rulue are often gendered, usually when a female character has any type of emotion, they are suddenly a tsundere, a *****, or have PMS, whathaveyou, when males can be just as emotional as women do (usually women are the ones who get away with it more), which usually stem from the double standards each gender has with each other.

Schezo doesn't seem to get even half the flack Rulue does, even though that his whole thing is using his Dark Magic to steal other people life forces for maintaining his immortality, and in PPT he gets an entire chapter devoted to him trying to chase down Sig and cuts his arm off. Rulue used her love in PPT actually managed to break out of Ex's possession/mind control, and then we never hear from her again (in fact, this was the only time anyone actually came out of mind control on their own).

I also don't like the fact she gets compared to Raffina, because it's like comparing a well cooked steak to a baloney sandwich. I don't like how they just automatically get along and every scene they are in togehter it's "hey were the same trope". Rulue's wishes and goals usually involve marriage, Raffina just wants to be beautiful and worshipped. Raffina actually goes out to picks fights with people, Rulue leaves other people well enough alone. Rulue's a country girl that loves being in the forest, Raffina is a city girl who can't go two minutes into the woods without getting lost (as evidenced by the the path she takes in fever).

There is this one scene that was my absolute favorite in this 20th. Rulue X Lidelle is absolutely adorable. There interactions are both completely believable, and Rulue goes the whole time without mentioning Satan. Lidelle trying to learn from Rulue is just one of the most heartwarming things ever. Nothing in this scene is forced and it feels like two real people are getting to know each other.

Lidelle X Rulue is the scene at 14:05.

I would like to see Rulue actually find someone that makes her happy. But not that that Satan dude. I wouldn't wish that guy on anyone.

Oh I'm totally with you, there is more to Rulue then she is often given credit for. Sure she's flanderized at times, but you can say the same for literally everyone, a lot of characters seem one-note at some point or another.

I generally notice certain characters getting disproportionate amounts of flak, for things that other characters are just as guilty of, I particulary notice that with the Klug/Raffine relationship, where Raffine is often treated like the bad one, even though Klug sure as heck isn't a innocent, bullied victim, he dishes out every bit as much as he takes. Schezo is another example, a lot of charas get flak for being jerks, yet nobody bats an eye at him hunting down people for their powers and his relationship with Arle is frequently romanticized to seem far more amiable then it actually is.

Last edited:
One of my biggest peeves when rating video game characters is that human characters get blamed a lot more than a demihuman, monsters, etc. I won't deny there are quite a few annoying, bossy female video game characters; most of them are just that way because they are bored, or they have men (boyfriend, daddy, government, or w/e), or trying to cover up a weakness, but honestly I don't blame Arle and Rulue for being the way they are with Madou being the way it is, I would have done the same thing. It's nice to be sweet and innocent until someone takes it as a sign of weakness and it can get you killed.

I always wonder how certain characters like Suketoudara or Zoh Daimaoh would be received if they were human characters.

I'd also like to point out the the flanderization is often attributed to the characters being replicas with personalities and memories that Satan fabricated, and at the end of 20th Satan wants to have a bunch of girls in bikinis fight over him (which was his primary motivation in Puyo Sun). Given what Rulue wished for in 15th to be Satan's wife, but didn't want Satan to have a second wife, leads me to thing that Rulue's attitude would have had changed if she was present during that scene. All this leads me to believe he actually wants Arle and Rulue to fight over him.

Satan doesn't give a rats behind about anyone else but himself. He left the real Arle stuck in a void for 900+ years and did jack squat about it. He endangered the planets ecosystem to get women to wear bikinis. Allowed a dark eyeball thing to run amok because he was bored. He treats the Primp Town school children with contempt. While he does one or two decent things on occasion, he's an irresponsible manchild that seriously needs to grow up. Ecolo, Ms. Accord, and Ex may have their issues, but at least they make their world(s) a better place (even if chaos usually ensues from it).

Pretty much yeah, not even counting anything else the sheer fact that he is willing to endanger his own world and everyone who resides in it repeatedly, for incredibly childish reasons, says a lot about his blatant and callous disregard for anyone but himself.

Would be nice to see him grow out of it for once, I know that Puyo isn't huge on character development (a big reason why Rafisol is so refreshing), but still...would be nice to see his attitude and methods blow up in his face hard enough to make him realize that he needs gain at least a semblance of maturity.

The biggest problem with Satan is that he actively avoids everyone other than Carbuncle and Arle. I mean he want's Arle to live with him in his castle, alone, and most of us know what he does with Carbuncle. If he actually ya know cared about Arle, her interests and her friends, and maybe didn't treat other people like noises and shapes that annoyed him (he did create them after all), maybe he would be a person Arle would want to be with instead of trying to troll for Arle's attention like an overweight high school nerd.

The only Rulue is involved with this hoser is thats the first time she's seen anyone show affection when she saw him hold Carbuncle. It also doesn't help that Arle's lack of male friends and bad experience with Satan, Schezo, and Choppun, make her the last person to explain why Satan is bad. Actually I don't even know why Arle doesn't just say "Rulue, Satan's making the Sun go Nova and I need to stop him or we all burn up and die" during Sun or better yet just friggin' ingore him in 20th.

The cynical out of universe reason for that would be '' can't risk messing with status quo'' in terms of in-universe though...yeah, if anything I'd say that Arle is more qualified then anyone else tell Rulue that Satan is awful.

Thing is I really don't get Arle's attitude towards him at times, particulary with stuff like her journals in Fever 2 or certain cutscenes in 15th, where it outright seems like she enjoys the usual routine and missed having Satan or Schezo creep onto her, which I guess may have been more of a nod to old fans in a ''hey ain't that nostalgic!?'' kind of way, but I still find it pretty uncomfortable.

If nothing else I think it's safe to say that Arle too kind and forgiving of a soul, for her own good.

The cynical out of universe reason for that would be '' can't risk messing with status quo'' in terms of in-universe though...yeah, if anything I'd say that Arle is more qualified then anyone else tell Rulue that Satan is awful.

Thing is I really don't get Arle's attitude towards him at times, particulary with stuff like her journals in Fever 2 or certain cutscenes in 15th, where it outright seems like she enjoys the usual routine and missed having Satan or Schezo creep onto her, which I guess may have been more of a nod to old fans in a ''hey ain't that nostalgic!?'' kind of way, but I still find it pretty uncomfortable.

If nothing else I think it's safe to say that Arle too kind and forgiving of a soul, for her own good.
I don't think it's that strange for someone so far removed from where they originally came from to miss even the more annoying parts of their home.

The only Rulue is involved with this hoser is thats the first time she's seen anyone show affection when she saw him hold Carbuncle. It also doesn't help that Arle's lack of male friends and bad experience with Satan, Schezo, and Choppun, make her the last person to explain why Satan is bad. Actually I don't even know why Arle doesn't just say "Rulue, Satan's making the Sun go Nova and I need to stop him or we all burn up and die" during Sun or better yet just friggin' ingore him in 20th.

Just to clarify...

I would really, really help if Arle actually got some friends. Carbuncle and the other A girls aren't enough. Amitie and RIngo in spite of their problems actually have a healthy amount of male friends... which is evidently shown during the Ms. Accord section of the PPT story. Arle has REALLY dropped as a main character compared to the other two. The fact that the lack of male characters. Puyo could really use a few more male characters.

I think Puyo has enough males, it's just that none of them, outside of Satan and Ecolo contribute much of anything these days.

In terms of Arle getting more friends that's actually something I really liked about Fever-15th Anniversary, because over the course of the games you really did get the impression that Arle became more of a part of the town's community and she was shown to hit it off well with characters like Accord, Sig and Lemres, who are the only Primp people (besides Amitie) she still interacts with these days, on a semifrequent basis and ones that I do count as friends, even if their interactions ceased to be terribly extensive.

Lagnus is also someone who could qualify as a friend for Arle, though admitingly mainly in Madou related materials, since in Puyo he's either a nuisance to her or someone who Arle doesn't recognize between games.

A lot of people i know are up in the air about whats canon and what's not in the anniversary games/PPT/chronicles, etc. I know there are people who are adamant about anything that doesn't have a number on it isn't canon, in spite of any interesting character developments. I honestly don't see what a Puyo 8/Fever 3 is really going to offer that an anniversary games does not in terms of gameplay.

Lagnus did things with Arle and Rulue back in Saturn which was between Puyo 2 and Puyo 3, and everytime after that Lagnus is treated like a joke character. Yes I know the whole hero of light/paladin thing has been done to death, and I poke fun at characters like that. But there is a difference between poking fun at something and disrespecting it.

There is also no consistency on how well the characters know each other. Some characters just automatically know each other, or forgotten anyone outside their social group even exists. If I did a whole RPG with someone I don't think I would forget them at all. It would be like Ash Ketchum forgetting what Pikachu is.

I tend to see that a lot as well and it always kind of surprises me, because there really isn't that much of a distinction between the main games or other titles in the series to make them seem ''lesser'' to the point of questioning canon status, if anything the Anniversary titles and Chronicle actually feel like some of the biggest titles in the franchise, due to the amount of content they bring along.

And yeah, aside from some base relationships there's little consistency there and it's something that always irks me, because I don't get why it's even a thing. I mean there isn't anything to gain by having dozens of ''first'' meetings between the same characters, over and over again.

Guess who just got a 7* upgrade?

1526629335601.png
1526629353679.png
1526629375820.png
1526629397690.png
1526629410096.png

You know, I wonder what this means for characters like Demon Servant, Succubus, and Black Kikimora. I mean, aren't they sort of labeled as being in their own "class", so to speak?

I'd guess they might pop up on their own, without any other series accompanying them, like they did with *7 Valkyrie Arle. At least that's what would make the most sense.

I'd guess they might pop up on their own, without any other series accompanying them, like they did with *7 Valkyrie Arle. At least that's what would make the most sense.

Yeah, I guess that is possible. BTW, did Rulue really sacrifice herself to help Arle reach the Creator? I thought she simply went insane from the revelation of her father being a member of some religious cult?

Back