Puyo Puyo

It's real :
1537247072381.jpg

1537247203246.jpg

1537247771566.jpg

I'm waiting for some more translated infos, but from what I can gather this really is just a small title centered entirely around the competetive scene, they didn't even bother with new art for the characters and merely slapped 20th, Quest and PPT assets together.

I'm not into the competetive scene, so this likely won't offer me anything and it doesn't really interest me so far.

Wow, so they found a way to shove the PPQ Gatcha stuff in here as well, so no story and any introduction to who the characters are? It's like Puyo Puyo Tetris all over again. All the Tetris characters are replaced by PPQ characters no one knows or cares about. Where is Lidelle, Ms. Accord, or Yu/Rei.

Last edited:
I was reading up on the old pages on this thread and would like to share some opinion on some things:

Miguro/Rulue is an intresting concept: if you consider the fact that Rulue is know for *lacking* magical powers in a magical world where everyone is either a magic-user or a monster. Even maids like Kikimora have magic. For Miguro being "normal", in his world is not really special.

Rulue is also more focused that Miguro is; from what I could gather in the novels, he had like 1000+ hobbies and doesn't exactly have a goal in mind. The problem with Miguro is ... he doesn't really have as much character as Ringo or Risukuma do. He's just... there.

You also have to factor in what exactly is "magic" to the people of Suzuran. It's been brought up in several plot points, like Schezo did in Rulue's 20th storyline, or the whole point of Rulue in Waku Puyo Dungeon, that Rulue cannot use magic, but in several games Rulue uses beam/chi attacks that can't be conveyed well in a Puyo setting. Do Suzuran people use chi attacks? I know the Street Fighter guys from modern times use it. Also, what information do we have there aren't magic-users or monsters in Suzuran.

A lot of these pairings also have to take something into account: which one is controlled by the player. No matter what the "power level" of the characters, the player-controlled character is supposed to win. In 15th and 20th Rulue has appeared as a boss-level character, being the 7th or 8th character in a 8 round course (with Onion Pixy in 20th her being 5th, and the encounter left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to elaborate on it here). Matching an established character with a character that's just there will take more time to establish that just one cut scene.

Rulue/Raffina doesn't sell well for me. Rulue had a lot of depth to her and accomplished more (she is the reason Arle managed to save the universe from the creator, and help Arle fight Yogrus). Raffina is just shallow and goes out of her way to bully people and Rulue for the most part wants to be left alone. I may have said this before but just being "fighters that don't have magic and are rich" doesn't really make people automatically get along.

Miguro/Raffina sounds like a much better option. Raffina likes "physical" guys and Miguro's family has got money (he might not be "rich), but I think it would be a much better matchup.

I also think it would do to matchup Compile-era monsters, with fever-era monsters. Think of Donguri Gearu/Onion Pixy, but they can talk. Good matches would be Nasu Grave/Hohow Bird(maybe he wants to eat him), Frankensteins or Yu-Rei/Zombie(both undead), Akuma/Incubus or Succubus (demons), Nohoho/Donguri Gearu(frogs).

Someone pointed out that (i forgot which page) that Arle is friendless, and everyone outside of Yon and Shin Madou had a major beef with her and hung with her out of habit. Can someone please tell me why? Come to think of it, until Fever era, no one from the Compile era had friendship with anyone else. Everyone pretty much kept to themselves and did their own thing. The anniversary games are the only ones where characters other than the "A" Trio actually interacted with anyone else. I often felt Arle post fever was a weak character who just got annoyed with people, but now that i think about it... *everyone* in Compile is like that.

Someone pointed out that (i forgot which page) that Arle is friendless, and everyone outside of Yon and Shin Madou had a major beef with her and hung with her out of habit. Can someone please tell me why? Come to think of it, until Fever era, no one from the Compile era had friendship with anyone else. Everyone pretty much kept to themselves and did their own thing. The anniversary games are the only ones where characters other than the "A" Trio actually interacted with anyone else. I often felt Arle post fever was a weak character who just got annoyed with people, but now that i think about it... *everyone* in Compile is like that.
I blame a lot of that on Compile's writing often not being very consistent, for instance, you can't really apply any depth from other sources to anyone in the first three Puyo games, since everyone in those was a one-dimensional joke character, due to the excuse plot nature of their narratives. Rulue just wanting to be left alone might apply to her in some games, but then you get things like SUN, where she's the one who's egging Schezo into a confrontation.

That's a general thing, a lot of characters act quite different depending on the game, Schezo is somewhat more amiable in something like Waku Waku, but then you have something like the Saturn game, which plays up his more antagonistic qualities (which I think suits him more, but I digress). Heck, Schezo becoming less of a monster after Madou 2 isn't even the result of any stated or shown development, he's just a different character later on.

Plus, the games really weren't commited to many consistent relationships, Arle/Rulue was one of the closest things to a friendship that you could get and did come to play in a number of games, but then there's other games where you really wouldn't be able to tell that those
two are able to communicate without fighting, like again, the first three Puyo games.

Lagnus is one of the ones that could have served as a friend for Arle, but Arle never even recognizes him between games, apart from Chronicle, which was made by SEGA, so really, there is no known relationship between them in the games at all, since almost every encounter acts like it's their first one.

Everyone else just doesn't interact much with each other, likely a result of many characters simply never getting enough spotlight. The SEGA games have their own issues of focusing too much on the same few dynamics or the Arle/Amitie/Ringo/Satan/Ecolo group, but they try a lot more, I mean Quest can give us character combinations like Sig/Jan or Strange Klug/Kikimora or back in 15th we got Zoh Daimaoh/Akuma or Arle/Oshare Bones.

Then again, this is coming from the perspective of someone who thinks that Compile's writing was every bit, if not more flawed then SEGA's, supplementary materials only do so much to me, especially since much of it never even comes to play in the games, so stuff like Shin Madou only improves things so much for me.

I was reading up on the old pages on this thread and would like to share some opinion on some things:

Miguro/Rulue is an intresting concept: if you consider the fact that Rulue is know for *lacking* magical powers in a magical world where everyone is either a magic-user or a monster. Even maids like Kikimora have magic. For Miguro being "normal", in his world is not really special.

Rulue is also more focused that Miguro is; from what I could gather in the novels, he had like 1000+ hobbies and doesn't exactly have a goal in mind. The problem with Miguro is ... he doesn't really have as much character as Ringo or Risukuma do. He's just... there.

You also have to factor in what exactly is "magic" to the people of Suzuran. It's been brought up in several plot points, like Schezo did in Rulue's 20th storyline, or the whole point of Rulue in Waku Puyo Dungeon, that Rulue cannot use magic, but in several games Rulue uses beam/chi attacks that can't be conveyed well in a Puyo setting. Do Suzuran people use chi attacks? I know the Street Fighter guys from modern times use it. Also, what information do we have there aren't magic-users or monsters in Suzuran.

A lot of these pairings also have to take something into account: which one is controlled by the player. No matter what the "power level" of the characters, the player-controlled character is supposed to win. In 15th and 20th Rulue has appeared as a boss-level character, being the 7th or 8th character in a 8 round course (with Onion Pixy in 20th her being 5th, and the encounter left a bad taste in my mouth, and I don't want to elaborate on it here). Matching an established character with a character that's just there will take more time to establish that just one cut scene.

Rulue/Raffina doesn't sell well for me. Rulue had a lot of depth to her and accomplished more (she is the reason Arle managed to save the universe from the creator, and help Arle fight Yogrus). Raffina is just shallow and goes out of her way to bully people and Rulue for the most part wants to be left alone. I may have said this before but just being "fighters that don't have magic and are rich" doesn't really make people automatically get along.

Miguro/Raffina sounds like a much better option. Raffina likes "physical" guys and Miguro's family has got money (he might not be "rich), but I think it would be a much better matchup.

I also think it would do to matchup Compile-era monsters, with fever-era monsters. Think of Donguri Gearu/Onion Pixy, but they can talk. Good matches would be Nasu Grave/Hohow Bird(maybe he wants to eat him), Frankensteins or Yu-Rei/Zombie(both undead), Akuma/Incubus or Succubus (demons), Nohoho/Donguri Gearu(frogs).

Um, excuse me... do you mean Maguro?

Also, are you saying he and Rulue would be a good paring? Because I won't lie, I've always wondered just what Rulue's opinion is on the Puyo 7 characters...

No, I don't mean a pairing. I mean an encounter.

I got this from TV tropes:

At one point during Raffina's story Lemres reveals that he is aware that Raffina turns her martial power into magic power, thanks to her pouch. Her reaction strongly hints that Raffina is actually quite insecure over her lack of natural magic power. This could have been used as a solid vehicle to explore aspects of her character that are otherwise never shown, but it never comes to this, since her following encounter with Rulue does away with it, without any fanfare.

Rulue is essentially the Un-Sorcerer on Madou Monogatari. *Everyone* uses magic to some degree, to the point almost no one uses weapons or armor. Rulue is just a normal human. Raffina is in a similar boat, but Primp Town is not as violent as Madou is, and Suzuran is just a Japanese Suburb. Miguro doesn't even have what is an "adventuring class" (unless he studied Akido or something). I would like to see some development on the whole "not having magic" thing. However I don't think it was ever explicitly stated that Suzuran characters can't use magic, or if there are other people like Risukuma, seeing that we see all of three people of Suzuran.

I know In Puyo 7 Ringo and Rulue had a nice conversation about Ringo's eyes.

I know I gush a lot over Rulue surviving in her world, but I also wish Puyo would bring the monsters back.

Souw, a Puyo Puyo game in May, With this being a western stream and it coming so soon, I suspect it's either SEGA AGES Puyo Puyo or Puyo Puyo eSports, under the Championship name, that SEGA trademarked a while ago.

That's just my quirk of saying 'so' and we don't know that yet, we just know that something called Puyo Puyo Championship was trademarked soon after the release of eSports and it's merely a educated guess that it's the localized name for eSports and possibly the game they are refering to.

Back