MonaWare

do wa ditty
Diamond City Insider
Im actually not sure how successful this thread will be here, with Wario games generally being retro already, but figured Id try anyway : p

But anyway, yeah. I am in a convo on a youtube comment with another gamer who is currently awaiting to get a Sega Dreamcast. He is as excited about it as I am, and we were talking about Turok, and which games wed like to play on Dreamcast : p I pretty much only play older games anymore. Besides Wii I dont really play anything 7th gen and forward, my interest is mostly for the 5th and 6th gen. (Though sometimes I go in and out of SNES/ Genesis).

Its always fun to talk to others who are actually excited about older games, it gives me someone to share my interests with : p So I thought Id try making a thread here.

Anywho : p
This is a thread for anyone who enjoys older games specifically, so like you can talk about games that you want to try, are excited about getting, which ones you like or even like recommend games to others who are interested in an older console.

(You know, like Im really into Dreamcast/ Saturn atm)

I really like retro gaming too! In fact, most of the games I have are at least 10 years old. I don't have many modern games.
The thing about retrogaming that attracts me the most is the unique feeling that each game gives you.
When I play an old game, it's as if I jumped back in time and feel like i'm actually in that time. Even for games that were released before I was born.

Yeah, I agree. I think theres so much magic with retro games. Like every game is its own unique little world to explore and experience. And it feels like there was more put into the creativity of the game, like more imagination put into the world making and all that.

I dunno, theres something so much more fascinating about retro games : p Is hard to explain : p I like when games were just about games, though. And not about online play and ad on features that you had to buy later and every game using the same engine as the last and every game being treated like a sports title with a yearly release and every game all coming out on every popular platform.
Im sure there are still games like that in the current gaming market, but over all it feels bland and unexciting : p

I miss the days where you had either a Nintendo console, a Sega console or a Playstation console, and every console had its own games. Nowadays its all just a decision of what controller you like better and whose online content youd prefer, haha.

I do enjoy retro gaming more, I find that the hardware limitations made the games look more charming, like the SNES and the GBA, those 16 bits/32bits graphics really gave them a nice look.
Of course, 8bit graphics and sounds are really iconic.

There's something about new gens, since the DS, I can't really enjoy games that much, they feel too soft, although they do look good, there's something off about them...

I like using that word to describe older graphics, too : p "Charming".

I think theyre more special, I remember taking time to admire details like that in games back with my old N64. Like with OoT, when Link would hold something in the air after getting it for the first time, I used to like looking at the item he had, and how cool it looked in 3d. Same with Aidyn Chronicles, I always liked going into buildings and looking at every single thing they designed in every room and thinking about how cool it was that they made the couches and beds and fire places and all that. With todays graphics, its just..... I dunno, normal : p Like its not really special anymore ; _ ;

I like using that word to describe older graphics, too : p "Charming".

I think theyre more special, I remember taking time to admire details like that in games back with my old N64. Like with OoT, when Link would hold something in the air after getting it for the first time, I used to like looking at the item he had, and how cool it looked in 3d. Same with Aidyn Chronicles, I always liked going into buildings and looking at every single thing they designed in every room and thinking about how cool it was that they made the couches and beds and fire places and all that. With todays graphics, its just..... I dunno, normal : p Like its not really special anymore ; _ ;

I know exactly what you mean! Somehow the lack of realistic details help us use our imagination and let us interpret things as we want. Nowadays, the wonderful amount of realistic details may be beautiful, but it sets the look and feel of the game in stone, removing that "imagination by the player" factor. Some picture Zelda OoT to be darker, others picture it light hearted, and you can see all the possible visions form artists, each give those worlds their own interpretation. Of course, you don't see much of that variety with more recent games.

The gameplay too is different, as some may call it "more refined", I see it as slow and heavy. Try playing SMW and NSMB to feel the difference. Of course, NSMB controls are smooth and accurate, but they feel slow, as for the SMW controls, they feel way more rough but quick and energetic.

The soundtrack is also way more punchy and fun in SMW.

There's something about the graphics and sound of GBC and GBA games that I love. I completed Wario Land 2 for the first time a few weeks ago and it's probably my favorite game I played so far this year. Since Super Mario World has great controls, great music and a lot of mod support, I still love playing rom hacks of that game to this day, a lot of them are pretty decent. Warioware Inc and Wario Land 4 are currently my favorite Wario games.
However with that said, some of Nintendo's modern games strike me well in terms of graphics and charm. I like the NSMB aesthetic, although I can understand that some people are getting sick of it since it's been around for around 10 years now. Part of why I love games like Mario Kart 8 and Super Mario Galaxy is how good they look, and Super Mario Galaxy isn't even in high definition. I also like how Wario Land Shake It looks, but the earlier ones have more charm to me for some reason.
Most modern games on Playstation, Xbox and PC don't interest me at all, although I used to play playstation 1 a lot.

In short, I find myself playing older games half the time and newer games half the time.

Most of my favorite games from my childhood are SNES or NES games, though I didn't realize they were at the time because I experienced them on the GBA as ports. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Final Fantasy IV, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario Bros 2, 3, and World are the big games from my childhood. And even before the GBA I caught Super Mario Bros 1 on the GBC as Super Mario Deluxe.

Recently I've been getting into some SNES games that I've never played before, and it boggles my mind how SNES games are so consistently great in quality. Castlevania Dracula X, Demons Crest, Gradius III, Axelay, and Parodius Da are some of my new favorites.

I certainly have a "retro" taste I would say but to get into retro gaming more earnestly I would say is a bit out of the question for me. I do really like the idea of collecting old games but I just don't have the income for that sort of thing right now and I have bigger priorities. The oldest console I own is a busted Game Gear with a copy of Sonic Triple Trouble.

I sure loved those DOS games, TES: Arena, Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake. don't get me started on the Commander Keen games. I remember playing some Leisure Suit Larry games when the folks where out.
SNES and GBA where good too and had alot of my favs but somwthing about old computer games you know? especially back when the colors where limited to purple and baby blue. Its ugly but i loved it.

I dont have a whole lot of experience with old PC games, but I have a few. We had an old 90s computer for like a year or so, and while I couldnt get into it my little brother could, and I watched him play games often on it. He used to play alot of like Duke Nukem and like some old Star Wars strategy game, was neat watching him play them : p

Sooooo I found a cheap wrestling game for gamecube and its really neat cuz like, it couldnt have anything less to do with wrestling : p Like the story mode is like missions to stop Wrestlemania from happening, and like some of the missions are "throw the construction workers off the construction site" and "destroy Vince McMahons limo", and youre for real running around malls and other places beating up workers and security guards with power bombs and body slams and hitting them with shovels and hammers and destroying property, haha : p This is something that I would have had alot of fun playing with my brothers growing up, it seems like video games in the 5th and 6th were more experimental and game companies were into trying new and weird things, I miss that : p

Thats another thing I really miss actually, playing games with my brothers. I used to spend alot of time just watching them play games, I miss that : p I need a friend who enjoys playing games together so we can do that together : p

Sadly wrestling games are now like sports games in that they're just a yearly rehash that people will buy up regardless so they'll never get better.

I certainly have a "retro" taste I would say but to get into retro gaming more earnestly I would say is a bit out of the question for me. I do really like the idea of collecting old games but I just don't have the income for that sort of thing right now and I have bigger priorities. The oldest console I own is a busted Game Gear with a copy of Sonic Triple Trouble.

That's where emulators come in my friend.

I sure loved those DOS games, TES: Arena, Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, Quake. don't get me started on the Commander Keen games. I remember playing some Leisure Suit Larry games when the folks where out.
SNES and GBA where good too and had alot of my favs but somwthing about old computer games you know? especially back when the colors where limited to purple and baby blue. Its ugly but i loved it.

I never had the opportunity to play many of those old PC games, but I like to watch other people play them on YouTube. There's something about those Adventure games like King's Quest that have a way of making you feel like you're back in the 90s :b

Sadly wrestling games are now like sports games in that they're just a yearly rehash that people will buy up regardless so they'll never get better.

Yeah, I made a big post about that in another thread, actually. Thats something I hate about gaming today. Doesnt matter what console you buy, youre getting the same game. And they have very little variety between them. Sadly it feels like Nintendo is becoming that way now too. Like theyre putting Skyrim on the Switch. Its already been on 360 and PS3, so Im not sure why they are doing this.

I miss the days when consoles were completely different, made for different groups of people and had totally different games.

Duh but it just doesn't feel as immersive for me.

I cant get into emulators, I enjoy the experience of playing a game the way it was meant to be played on the controller it was designed for : p

Also I cant get into games on PC. Sorta that way to a lesser extent with handhelds too actually. I just naturally like playing a tv based console game, is most fun for me.

Another issue regarding immersiveness is that now in the digital age there is a lot less attachment towards things. Digital things are things you can get and then forget about as they don't physically exist which affects stuff like music and movies too.

Im very unhappy with the move from physical games to digital : p I love having the game with case and artwork, its part of the fun of having a game. Digital copies are in no way fun or exciting and will be lost at some point. Its even more bizzare that companies seem to charge the same price for either digital or physical copies?

Duh but it just doesn't feel as immersive for me.

I agree, but it's better than not having the opportunity to play the game at all. It's especially great with arcade games, since arcades no longer exist and purchasing a giant-ass arcade cabinet for your living room isn't a possibility for most people, if you could even find the cabinet these days.

Oh I know that. I'm talking more on the broader retro gaming sort of culture I guess and I'm not alone in this since even though there are easier ways to play older games nowadays, people still like to collect games.

Back