ROM Hack: Wario Land 3: The Master Quest!

It will work with any Wario Land 3 ROM I think.
Do you have any other versions such as a "Warioland 3 (JU) (M2) [C][!]" or "Warioland 3 (World) (M2) [C][!]" ROM?

I am working on the new hack, and also have 100% completed it, but still don't think it is ready for a release just yet, but I can give you a demo if you want.

Here it is!

A few things:

1. This game is HARD! I suggest you use save states, or suspend your game by pausing and saving.

2. Do not play this with the arrow keys! It will not work! Try using ASDW or use a number pad, or use GameYob, a Nintendo DS Gameboy Color emulator (If you have a NDS homebrew card)

3. This game is still in an EXTREMELY early stage, so many areas have only been slightly changed, or not at all. This was built off of the unnamed hack, so many of the elements still remain.

4. The game can be completed. You can get all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels without cheats. I suggest that you get all 8 coins BEFORE you get all 100 treasures while you are still able to save!

5. The focus of this hack is difficulty and skill. It will test your precision skills, your reaction skills, your patience, and you may even have to abandon Wario logic to get past some areas!
You may have to think outside the music box! (Get it? Wario is in a music box)

6. Have fun! Once I can edit more of the levels, I will post a real release of it! This will be the only demo for the moment.

This hack also has a few surprises in it, too! Heh heh heh... allworried:

Last edited:
Sorry, I know I said I was only going to post one demo, but I made a few changes and just HAD to upload it!

Don't expect me to post more of these, that's not the idea! I feel that if you are trying to make a good hack, and do not want to disappoint, you REALLY should wait until you make enough changes to release it.

Edit: Posted the patch to the resources and to the first post!

Last edited:
2. Do not play this with the arrow keys! It will not work! Try using ASDW or use a number pad, or use GameYob, a Nintendo DS Gameboy Color emulator (If you have a NDS homebrew card)
How do you mean, the arrow keys won't work? d:confused: There aren't ASDW or numbers on the Game Boy Color. (woah, that new :confused: emoticon is terrible D:)

They won't work correctly with other keys.

Keyboards have limitations on which multiple keys can be pressed and how many at once.
Using the arrow keys would interfere with other keys and would have un-desirable outputs.

Example:
I have A assigned to the spacebar and B assigned to the B key while emulating.
Pressing the B key with the right and up arrow keys and spacebar would work as intended, while pressing the B key with the left and up arrow keys and spacebar would cancel out the spacebar. (It happens even with one key, too. You can omit "B Key" from this example)

That is a problem, because Wario would not be able to do a leftwards high jump, or be able to swim quickly diagonally up-left or anything else you would use the A and/or B buttons with left and up.
Mapping the ASWD keys to up, down, left and right (or any other 4 keys, these are the most common keys that people would use for these purposes) would eliminate this problem. Using the number pad would work too, as for it does not have these limitations.

Using the right and up arrow keys together with other keys works fine, but using the left and up arrow keys together will prevent other keys from doing anything at all. This is a hardware limitation that some keyboards use (Not all of them do this though, mostly older ones), and cannot be changed. The term for this is called "Rollover", or in this case, "two-key rollover".
For more info, see this Wikipedia article: Rollover (key) - Wikipedia

This is why the arrow keys are not suitable for this hack.

They won't work correctly with other keys.

Keyboards have limitations on which multiple keys can be pressed and how many at once.
Using the arrow keys would interfere with other keys and would have un-desirable outputs.

Example:
I have A assigned to the spacebar and B assigned to the B key while emulating.
Pressing the B key with the right and up arrow keys and spacebar would work as intended, while pressing the B key with the left and up arrow keys and spacebar would cancel out the spacebar. (It happens even with one key, too. You can omit "B Key" from this example)

That is a problem, because Wario would not be able to do a leftwards high jump, or be able to swim quickly diagonally up-left or anything else you would use the A and/or B buttons with left and up.
Mapping the ASWD keys to up, down, left and right (or any other 4 keys, these are the most common keys that people would use for these purposes) would eliminate this problem. Using the number pad would work too, as for it does not have these limitations.

Using the right and up arrow keys together with other keys works fine, but using the left and up arrow keys together will prevent other keys from doing anything at all. This is a hardware limitation that some keyboards use (Not all of them do this though, mostly older ones), and cannot be changed. The term for this is called "Rollover", or in this case, "two-key rollover".
For more info, see this Wikipedia article: Rollover (key) - Wikipedia

This is why the arrow keys are not suitable for this hack.
I know about rollover, but I had never heard of such a bad case of rollover. That must be a really cheap keyboard you're using. The keyboards I use are around 20 years old, and you can always press at least 3 keys at once, before rollover happens, if I recall correctly (I can't check at the moment, I'm using my laptop).

Just 100%'ed the hack again! (I got all 100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels)

I was sent back to the title screen 439 times (Yes, I counted), with 60 of them being from getting the blue chest and 8 musical coins from S6 Above the Clouds!

By the way, the HARDEST treasure IN THE HACK is the S6 Above the Clouds' blue treasure, but I already mentioned that!

I have a question:

Has anyone figured out where the chest items for each level are stored in the ROM? I want to swap the green treasure for E3 Castle of Illusions with the blue treasure for E6 The East Crater.

Edit: The hack is not dead! I have been working on it from time to time (I worked on it today) and I have come up with a release schedule. I plan to release an updated patch periodically every April (Since the first hack was April 2017, and was revived on March (Darn! Close enough though!) this year)

The title is also not "Almost Kaizo", there is no official name for the hack yet.

The next patch will be posted on a new thread in April, but if you want an up to date patch released sooner (This would be the last one this year!), let me know and I will create the new thread with the latest patch attached!

Refer to the first post please! :D

Last edited:
I replaced the first post of this thread with the Master Quest thread. Keep the discussion of the ROM hack here!
I have a little something for you to try:
A Wario Land 3 Hack!

Features:
A few custom palettes
New level & object layouts (Most were just modified, they still have their original layout)
Modified text
Modified enemy configuration (e.g. Falling snow in N4 Bank of the Wild River, Hammer doll replaces spider boss in N1 Out of the Woods, jumping fish in W3 The Pool of Rain)
Changed music (e.g. E7 Forest of Fear uses Out of the Woods tracks, S5 Cave of Flames/E5 The Warped Void/E4 The Colossal Hole music now day & night specific (Cave of Flames play at day, The Warped Void plays at night)
Unused and beta content restored! You'll be surprised what was cut from the final game! Especially in N1 Out of the Woods!
Huge difficulty spike! This hack will show you no mercy! Make sure you have aspirin ready! (Just joking about the aspirin, but it is HARD!)
And many more!

Bugs:
E4 The Colossal Hole at daytime is broken. I do not know what happened, but you start in weird areas, often stuck, and no objects. Fixing it through the level editor is impossible, but can be fixed in-game by playing it at night, then at day. Heh...

Fixed in update 009

N1 Out of the Woods & W3 The Pool of Rain has a problem with a ladder (Inside the big tree in N1) & vine (Leading to the red key room at the beginning of W3) warp where it will not work. The cure is to pause and suspend the game, and when you resume, it will work then. This only happens while emulating the game, not on VC or a real game. I'll try to fix it in the future.
Fixed in update 016

You will have to apply the IPS patch to a Wario Land 3 ROM (downloaded separately elsewhere)
You can use Lunar IPS to apply the patch. Go to the Lunar Magic Website to download it.

The version is Wario Land 3 (J) (M2) [C][!], if that helps.

Have fun, and tell me what you think!

All updates will be uploaded and available here, or on: https://warioforums.com/index.php?resources/rom-hack-unnamed-wario-land-3-hack.73/

Current Status: Complete!

Current Version: Update FINAL

Change(s) made in this version:
X

Also try Super Hard Mode!: Unnamed Wario Land 3 hack Super Hard Mode!

Also a demo of the upcoming Almost Kaizo Edition (Working name) hack is out! Don't expect many of these demos, that's not the idea! Also, anyone who has downloaded the first demo, get the new one here instead!

From my latest post:
The hack is not dead! I have been working on it from time to time (I worked on it today) (Today is not today) and I have come up with a release schedule. I plan to release an updated patch periodically every 6 months, one on December, and one on June!

The title is also not "Almost Kaizo", there is no official name for the hack yet.

The next patch will be posted on a new thread in December, but if you want an up to date patch released sooner (This would be the last one this year!), let me know and I will create the new thread with the latest patch attached!

The official thread for Wario Land 3 The Master Quest is here: Link removed

Feel free to share this with your friends, or some other websites, or just spread it around!

Last edited:
It's been a while, but I have decided to release this early!
The first REAL release of Wario Land 3: Master quest! You can find the patch on the first post!

A few hints to the changes for levels!

W6 The West Crater If you like fire, than I'm sure you'll fly right to the Red Chest!
S5 Cave of Flames I bet you won't see what flaming madness awaits you on your puzzling quest for the Green Chest!

Remember, if you complete the game (100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels), and post proof of it here (in the form of some screenshots) along with the amount of times you got sent back to the title screen (counting is totally optional, but recommended non the less!), your name will be added to the credits along with the number of restarts in the next release! You will also be featured on the hall of fame in the first post! If you counted your restarts, you will also get a rank!

The first one to complete the game with fewer than 169 restarts will receive 20000 Wario Forums Coins!
The contest has been canceled on Wario Forums!

Remember to get all 8 musical coins in all levels BEFORE unlocking time attack mode!

Remember that selecting 'SAVE' from the pause menu will save your position in the level, so if you hit a skull tile, you will restart back to where you saved! You can do this as many times as you want, and is ESSENTIAL to win this hack! Use it often!

Important!
In order to earn a spot in the credits and hall of fame (as well as be eligible for the prize), you must show proof of completion (In the form of screenshots) and only those who post it here will be acknowledged!

The credits have limited number lines for names, so If someone completes the game and the credits are full, an old name will be replaced by the new name. A single entry will be 2 lines: 1st is the Wario Forum username of the completionist, 2nd is how many times the completionist was sent back to the title screen (If restarts are not counted, this line will say "XXXXRESTARTS!")

Your names will appear on the next major release!

Enjoy! :)

This might be asking too much, but if this gets popular enough, could this get stickied? And with that, I leave the master quest to the master Wario!

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: 607
It's been a while, but I have decided to release this early!
The first REAL release of Wario Land 3: Master quest! You can find the patch on the first post!

A few hints to the changes for levels!

W6 The West Crater If you like fire, than I'm sure you'll fly right to the Red Chest!
S5 Cave of Flames I bet you won't see what flaming madness awaits you on your puzzling quest for the Green Chest!

Remember, if you complete the game (100 treasures and 8 musical coins in all levels), and post proof of it here (in the form of some screenshots) along with the amount of times you got sent back to the title screen (counting is totally optional, but recommended non the less!), your name will be added to the credits along with the number of restarts in the next release! You will also be featured on the hall of fame in the first post! If you counted your restarts, you will also get a rank!

The first one to complete the game with fewer than 305 restarts will receive 7000 WarioForum Coins!

Remember to get all 8 musical coins in all levels BEFORE unlocking time attack mode!

Remember that selecting 'SAVE' from the pause menu will save your position in the level, so if you hit a skull tile, you will restart back to where you saved! You can do this as many times as you want, and is ESSENTIAL to win this hack! Use it often!

Enjoy! :)

This might be asking too much, but if this gets popular enough, could this get stickied? And with that, I leave the master quest to the master Wario!

Do you actually have 7000 Wario Forums coins?

Not sure how that part'll work...

Either way, I guess I could suggest it to various LPers and what not. Maybe post it on Reddit or something too.

Back