So, did Wario lose his castle?

Dr. Mechano

a-gonna ween
Wario's Castle. The majesty. The vast hoards of wealth. The disconcertingly breakable walls and flooded basements. It's an iconic Wario location, one that's been with us since the ending of the original Wario Land.

The castle's shown up in subsequent games, such as Wario's Woods, Wario Land II and Wario World. But after 2003, it seems to have mysteriously vanished, being replaced with a dinky little house in subsequent games. What exactly happened here? A centerpiece of the Wario series has been absent for the past 13 years, and without much in the way of explanation.

I suppose one could argue that Wario World's bad ending is the canon one, where Wario doesn't rebuild his castle. But honestly, that's kind of a letdown. It's possible he still owns the castle, but uses the smaller house as a second home for the WarioWare games (along with Master of Disguise and Shake It).

Me, personally, I miss it. I loved the idea that Wario was already filthy rich, and yet still greedy enough to continue going treasure-hunting for even more money. It's so fitting to his character to not be satisfied, even if he's already loaded, and to constantly go on adventures to become even richer.

What do you think? Will we ever see the castle again? Did Nintendo just forget about it entirely? Does it even matter? Discuss below!

Mario Party 10 referenced his castle in his amiibo Party board:
original.jpg

so Nintendo does remember it, but whether or not he still owns it is indeed a good question, the signs point to no, since even the Wario plattformers after World depicted him living in a normal home like everyone else, but there is a chance that he still has it, nothing in the extended Marioverse ever seems to be truly forgotten/lost.

I remember coming across at least one fan timeline/theory that had him lose it, but I think he still has the castle officially.

Maybe it's just really far away from places like Diamond City, so not convenient for the WarioWare games and some of the later Wario platformers and their storylines. Or maybe he just can't get decent electricity, TV or internet there.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Here's what I like to imagine personally.

After Syrup pretty much left the island for good, Wario names his rightfully own island with the main capital, Greedville. The castle is also pretty much like a town hall or White House for whenever he comes back to spend time there, but he decided to move away to do his buisness more "substantial" and also explore the world more for ((it's treasure obviously)) so he goes to Diamond City, where he resides to this day.

:D

I like to think Mario Land was a very temporary thing.

Like, after the events of SMB3, Peach rewards Mario with his own island/castle/etc., but the humble plumber finds running his own land to be a bit too much. So he ultimately gives it back and returns to living in a small house in the Mushroom Kingdom instead. It seems more Mario's style anyway.

• Agree
Maybe they changed it to fit his character. He is now more silly, so he isn't in a big bad castle. And in Wario World, they could have made him have a castle to change the character to seem more tough and bad. Wario Land 4 made Wario a lot more silly, so they could have changed it to reflect that. Or I'm looking way to deep into it and they do what they want.

Don't worry, in video games, castles come and go, like the flu. You get one now, and it is gone a week later! Poof! Into thin air!

I'm heavily leaning on the idea of Wario having lost it due to the events of Wario World, the bad ending of which being canon.

Wario has pretty sour luck; he seems to lose most of whatever he ends up gaining, and his bad money-managing skills don't help either. Just look at how much he spent on balloons!

Another reason why I think he lost it is because there's no reason for someone like him to have just mysteriously up and left his luxurious living space for the much smaller one he resides in today.

Last edited:
  • Agree
I like to think Wario prefers his house with his TV and his Couch and uses his castle to store treasure. His castle was always filled with tons of treasure and after he kicked Syrup and her gang out of Kitchen Island its just him his castle and the nature of the island. aint no pizza shops out there. so he relocated for convenience sake.

Plus, I always assumed he had the castle in WL4. In the intro sequence, he drives the Wario Car out of a big fancy gate surrounded by tall walls of grey brick. Seemed pretty castle-esque to me.
You mean a garage? Like this one?

d43.gif

The kind that would be attached to a house? Like this one?

wario'sgarage.png

• Agree
Back