So like is Yoshi's franchise dead?

Metal

Don't be sad cause it's over pimps
Uh up until recently Yoshi's been in mediocre games. Yoshi's New Island being one of the more disappointing games Yoshi has ever had. Yoshi's Wooly World doesn't really seem much better, it's more or less Kirby's Epic Yarn but just replace it with Yoshi. Not sure if anyone is a huge fan of Mario's green companion but it'd be nice if Yoshi could get some good games as he had before like Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi Touch n Go, or Yoshi's Island.

What're people's thoughts on the matter unless he isn't really important anymore as he once was. He's still Mario's companion anyway, but in his own games they're starting to fall flat.

Uh up until recently Yoshi's been in mediocre games. Yoshi's New Island being one of the more disappointing games Yoshi has ever had. Yoshi's Wooly World doesn't really seem much better, it's more or less Kirby's Epic Yarn but just replace it with Yoshi. Not sure if anyone is a huge fan of Mario's green companion but it'd be nice if Yoshi could get some good games as he had before like Yoshi's Island DS, Yoshi Touch n Go, or Yoshi's Island.

What're people's thoughts on the matter unless he isn't really important anymore as he once was. He's still Mario's companion anyway, but in his own games they're starting to fall flat.

Always been a Yoshi lover, but I'm dead sick of the whole baby caper. Twice was nice, but that's quite enough for what was once a unique story/gameplay concept built around Mario's origins. Why do we need more "further adventures of baby Mario"? He was already delivered safely to his parents in the first game.

Last edited:
Personally, I've always thought the Yoshi games past the original were pretty mediocre. The DS game was probably one of the better sequels, but its level design was... questionable in a lot of places and you could tell Artoon didn't have the knowledge or skill possessed by Nintendo in regards to just about everything. Topsy Turvy/Universal Gravitation was terrible. Touch and Go was apparently quite fun, but not exactly ambitious in the slightest. And the later games... eh. Yoshi's New Island was just a complete and utter screw up, especially given that its developers made a better Yoshi game just a few years earlier. How could they think this was good?

The Yoshi series is what you get when quality doesn't give a damn and the franchise name gets outsourced to anyone willing to make games for it. Bit like what happened to Donkey Kong after 64 and before Returns.

Wait, what? Did you actually play Yoshi's Woolly World?
I haven't yet, but from what I've seen, it's one of the best games of the 2010's so far.
In fact, it has already done the Yoshi franchise enough justice by competing with and perhaps topping the original soundtrack, which I rendered impossible before.

Wooly World is really nothing like Epic Yarn, it has the gem collecting and a handful of yarn gimmicks , but otherwise plays like the love child of the original Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story (unlike Epic Yarn, which played nothing like a Kirby Game) and as far as I (and quite a few others) am concerned it's easily the best Yoshi offering since Island 1, lumping it in the same pile as New Island is baffling in my eyes, the only issue I have with it is that while it is mostly original there are still parts where it relies a bit on Island 1 nostalgia, but other then that it's a very well made game.

Last edited:
Wooly World came out last year and it was a big success. Come on.

Yes, and I believe it was a very good entry for the series.
However, even though I LOVED Yoshi's Island on the SNES (I prefer the GBA remake, though), I just can't find Yoshi's Wooly World to be... fun.

I don't know how to put it, but to me, the game feels boring compared to the first. I'm not too happy about Yoshi's Story, but I can't say if I like it or not because I only played the first few levels of the game.

The only thing is, I never played Kirby's Epic Yarn, but even if it has the same style, it's not the same game, and Yoshi's Wooly World stays loyal to the Yoshi games forumula. But--- it's sooooooo boring... Pretty, cute, colorful but boring. I just want to go to sleep after each level...

I should add, some levels are really challenging, and finding everything in them is not easy, I must praise the level design!

It's just one of those games I know they're good but I just can't get into it.

Yeah, I don't know what Metal is playing at here. Clearly he hasn't even played Woolly World, and it was an excellent and nothing like Epic Yarn in the least. It was pretty much everything that the original YI was, and without the babies too.

People are saying it's really good but it just doesn't look interesting. It looks like Kirby's Epic Yarn 2 Yoshi edition. I've seen gameplay mostly and the puzzles are atleast challenging more so than in Kirby's Epic Yarn. In this game you aren't invincible either so there's that for a challenge. It just doesn't look really good atleast to me, well if it's as big a hit as people say perhaps we can get something more than Island like Yoshi games, such as Yoshi Touch n Go or Yoshi Story. Be a little more daring in the approach to Yoshi games.

Last edited:
Yoshi's New Island is not terrible, but its not that good either. It has two terrible songs at the beginning of the game and it gives everyone the impression that the whole soundtrack is terrible. But the majority of the songs are actually okay.

I don't know if the series is dead, but I'm not sure if it's in good shape.

Also, Yoshi's New Island has some of the best music ever conceived. You don't know what you're talking about.

Well I'm glad to see Wooly World is a better game than Yoshi's new island. It's just after knowing that the developers behind this Yoshi game was the same as Epic Yarn it just made me instantly wary of the games output. The aesthetic of yarn based motif also didn't impress as it's been done before, however these two games are distinct from one another.

It'll be something to consider trying out since it plays just like the older island yoshi games something epic yarn doesn't do with the kirby series.

Back