Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

So has anyone except me heard that they're gonna announce a new Sonic game soon? I want to know what it is and I want to see if Sonic Team is actually gonna be the one who does most of the work instead of just putting their logo on a game. Personally I would like to see a Sonic game that looks as good as Unleashed, not gameplay wise. (although I'm the few who liked playing the warehog) The Sonic games after Unleashed graphically didn't look that impressive but I would like to see another game that has you traveling around the world and interacting with the people. I honestly would like to see how beautiful the game would look on next-gen platform like how Ratchet and Clank for PS4 looked amazing. Also I don't want it to be a boost to win type game again, I really miss the mix of speed and platforming on games like Sonic Adventure.

I mean Generation looks great, but really it doesn't look as good as Unleashed when it came to the small details on the levels. (which pretty much made the frame rate screamed in agony)

I think one of the problems regarding the characterization is Adventure era baggage. We're at the point where Modern Sonic has greatly outstayed Classic Sonic. While this is certainly a much different era from the Adventure there is still a lot of baggage from that era that is this point isn't really used anymore and is just baggage. In Sonic Generations there isn't a whole lot of difference between the Dreamcast era and the subsequent eras in comparison to the classic era. I think a new era of Sonic could be beneficial and yet it seems they're too scared to move on from this seemingly established era. It seems they wanted to experiment with Boom a bit but at the same time keep the "Modern" stuff. I think a total new era for Sonic could be beneficial and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like rebooting series.

I'm wondering what they're gonna experiment with when they announce a new Sonic game soon. Probably is a bit too much but I would like the see the characters from the Archie comics or the forgotten characters like Mighty, Ray, and even Honey the Cat.

I know this is really off-topic but It's really dumb,but I like Sonic just because of the speed. It's quite refreshing after you've played the orignal Mario games or something like that. Those games are slow as heck. Also Sonic has freaking amazing music.

I know this is really off-topic but It's really dumb,but I like Sonic just because of the speed. It's quite refreshing after you've played the orignal Mario games or something like that. Those games are slow as heck. Also Sonic has freaking amazing music.
this game is the exact opposite of everything you just said

Haha yeah my firs observation of that game was that the music was just awful : p

Thats a pretty cheap looking game, feels like Sega didnt put much into it : /

Pretty much the vast majority of games that arent developed by Sonic Team aren't as well put together. The main exception is Dimps, the company that developed the Advance and Rush series.

I like to think of Boom like I do with Megaman Battle Network.

Does it have Megaman characters to a degree? Yes. Is it the Mega Man that started the series and keeps the same game play? Not really. The only difference here is I actually like BN to a degree, while I can't for Boom.

People really like to rip into the games Ken Pontac and Warren Graff wrote the stories for (Colors, Generations, Lost World are the main ones) and now I'm starting to see why. Classic Sonic is Classic Sonic, it aimed to create a different gaming experience while earnestly hoping it would make the creators a shit load of money despite the main character being based off of a Western pop singer, then US senator, and a Christmas staple for Western world children. As much as I don't like the Adventure era games, I give them credit for trying to work with something different and create something that many people fondly enjoy and appreciate. Technology was new, they couldn't depend on simple story lines anymore, and worked with what they had. Once we hit the era of Sonic 06 and games before Colors, it was a huge change and experimental phase. With the exception of that game, people have hit or miss feelings towards them.

Pontiac and Graff started introducing a lot of writing and jokes that became prevalent in the current games' humor. Sonic breaking the 4th wall, the line "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!", the robots making frequent cracks at Eggman's expense are the main examples in Colors. Idk what happened with Generations because the writing for that seemed like P&G were watched like hawks and had to undergo frequent script revisions. Lost World's story has several criticisms that are far too many that are worth typing out, but it follows in a few nonsensical jokes, bland villains, and something that feels like it belongs more in fanfiction than not.

P&G have tapped into a humor that seems to attract a different fanbase and mentality. What's come off as silly one liners has snowballed into the social media accounts screaming GOTTA GO FAST every 10 minutes and Eggman proclaiming how Shadow is the 2nd most popular character in Sonic canon...in the cartoon meant to be one of the funniest jokes in the finale.

There's just no integrity at all here. If you're going to poke fun at yourself, have some dignity for yourself. As much as people trash on Teen Titans Go, for the few self referring jokes I've seen back to the classic cartoon or other media, I give it credit for balancing it with its original writing. It doesn't use "WE USED TO HAVE A BETTER SHOW SO MANY YEARS AGO" every episode. It doesn't use "Please make and sign an Internet petition to keep the series with the series with the same 8 characters and 5 locations going" as a clincher. It also tries to keep itself unique, and that is something I fervently believe most people will agree with me on, regardless of your views on TTG.

I've thought about this a lot because I used to be one of those "Sonic is dead" people. Now I just watch the series run that marathon with their legs asleep and wobbling like fresh jello because there are some good ideas still coming out. They're just mired in uninspired humor that's been stale for a few years now.

Well said, Kerberos. I'd be inclined to agree. I think the self-aware humor was kinda cool at first, but it's definitely time to move on. The series will never move forward if it identifies as "lol we suck and we know it" from now on.

Pretty much the vast majority of games that arent developed by Sonic Team aren't as well put together. The main exception is Dimps, the company that developed the Advance and Rush series.
In an unusual exception to the rule both Sonic 4 parts were made by both Sonic Team and Dimps and while not horrible were really bland and failed to really capture the feeling of the early games.

In an unusual exception to the rule both Sonic 4 parts were made by both Sonic Team and Dimps and while not horrible were really bland and failed to really capture the feeling of the early games.

Yeah, what the hell happened there? They usually did pretty good with Sonic.

I think a combination of the success Mega Man 9 had going retro, Sega's infatuation with making constant nods to the older games and their not fully understanding why the older games were so great hindered them.

Whoever designed that game seemed to not realize that, for example, people enjoy the Death Egg robot fight from Sonic 2 because of game design principles and their memories with the battle. You can't just put a 3D model of it in with a watered down battle and expect it to sell on nostalgia and overall value.

Also it's pretty much Sonic 1 and 2 mashed together with a few twists and 3d models

The game really just felt like an appeal to nostalgia than a true sequel. Sonic Advance is closer to the original games(aside from the lack of speed) than it and would make for a better sequel.

After the success of Mega Man 9 and Bionic Commando Rearmed, there was a brief but notable trends of mediocre low-budget revivals to cult series. Games like

-Blaster Master Overdrive
-That Rocket Knight reboot
-Konami's "Rebirth" series
-That cancelled Bonk game
-Double Dragon II Wanders of the Dragon

etc. Sonic 4 feels like it was cut out from that mold.

Back