Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

The only Sonic compilation I've played is Sonic Jam for the Sega Saturn. The music is pretty much hit or miss but it had a lot of videos like the little short 2 minute cartoon called "Man of the Year."

It also had the Sonic CD opening and ending cutscenes set to the Japanese music which is where I learned about Sonic CD. So many good memories.

I wish Gems included Knuckles Chaotix. From what I understand it was supposed to, but for whatever reason it was removed? I dunno.

Yeah that's right, I like Knuckles Chaotix. Zero fucks given.

I was not aware liking Knuckles' Chaotix was some kind of deviant opinion.
People are very quick to trash anything that deviates from the classic Sonic formula. It's gotten worse since Boom came out but it started back with Generations.

People are very quick to trash anything that deviates from the classic Sonic formula. It's gotten worse since Boom came out but it started back with Generations.
Huh, I've been actively away from the Sonic fandom but when I was more into it it was more of just an obscure game that was the 32x's best game.

I'm not really an active part of the fandom. I've just read the comments sections on articles about games and it's always landed into discussions about how either S3&K or CD are the only great games, Generations is the only great modern game, and everything else is trash pretty much. You have people coming in to defend weaker titles like the Wii games (Secret Rings & Black Knight) and whatnot, but the Sonic hate has really grown.

I haven't tried Black Knight though I have played Secret Rings. I thought the RPG like system of gaining abilities was interesting but the controls really didn't make the game work too well as a whole.

It serves the question, Why are they calling themselves fans if all the do is trash sonic.
But then again these are usually the same people who brag about the 90's on facebook, make bad fanfics or, disturbing deviant art post.

It serves the question, Why are they calling themselves fans if all the do is trash sonic.
But then again these are usually the same people who brag about the 90's on facebook, make bad fanfics or, disturbing deviant art post.
A lot of it is a combination of both fan and non-fan sites of Sonic. Usually the defending of the weaker titles is on fan sites while the whole "x game was the only good game" is common everywhere.

You'd be surprised at how many "Sonic is dead" comments I've seen on fan sites over the years, all because of something arbitrary like Boom Knuckles or mobile games being discontinued.

I haven't tried Black Knight though I have played Secret Rings. I thought the RPG like system of gaining abilities was interesting but the controls really didn't make the game work too well as a whole.
Secret Rings controlled for me like how I would look like running a marathon with my feet and legs waking up and never stopping - painful, sloppy, and reminds me I'd rather eat Jello than looking and feeling like it.

I haven't played Black Knight myself either, but all joking aside Secret Rings controlled very poorly and its overall execution was weak. It didn't leave me impressed with Black Knight when it came out.

ugKGr99.png

Personally, aside from the memes which I am not really a fan of, the whole self-deprecating thing just really puts me off with how low the series has fallen and struggled to bring itself back up. Sonic Boom has been successful (aside from the games) but I consider that a mostly seperate thing.

Personally, aside from the memes which I am not really a fan of, the whole self-deprecating thing just really puts me off with how low the series has fallen and struggled to bring itself back up. Sonic Boom has been successful (aside from the games) but I consider that a mostly seperate thing.
I like to think of Boom like I do with Megaman Battle Network.

Does it have Megaman characters to a degree? Yes. Is it the Mega Man that started the series and keeps the same game play? Not really. The only difference here is I actually like BN to a degree, while I can't for Boom.

People really like to rip into the games Ken Pontac and Warren Graff wrote the stories for (Colors, Generations, Lost World are the main ones) and now I'm starting to see why. Classic Sonic is Classic Sonic, it aimed to create a different gaming experience while earnestly hoping it would make the creators a shit load of money despite the main character being based off of a Western pop singer, then US senator, and a Christmas staple for Western world children. As much as I don't like the Adventure era games, I give them credit for trying to work with something different and create something that many people fondly enjoy and appreciate. Technology was new, they couldn't depend on simple story lines anymore, and worked with what they had. Once we hit the era of Sonic 06 and games before Colors, it was a huge change and experimental phase. With the exception of that game, people have hit or miss feelings towards them.

Pontiac and Graff started introducing a lot of writing and jokes that became prevalent in the current games' humor. Sonic breaking the 4th wall, the line "No copyright law in the universe is going to stop me!", the robots making frequent cracks at Eggman's expense are the main examples in Colors. Idk what happened with Generations because the writing for that seemed like P&G were watched like hawks and had to undergo frequent script revisions. Lost World's story has several criticisms that are far too many that are worth typing out, but it follows in a few nonsensical jokes, bland villains, and something that feels like it belongs more in fanfiction than not.

P&G have tapped into a humor that seems to attract a different fanbase and mentality. What's come off as silly one liners has snowballed into the social media accounts screaming GOTTA GO FAST every 10 minutes and Eggman proclaiming how Shadow is the 2nd most popular character in Sonic canon...in the cartoon meant to be one of the funniest jokes in the finale.

There's just no integrity at all here. If you're going to poke fun at yourself, have some dignity for yourself. As much as people trash on Teen Titans Go, for the few self referring jokes I've seen back to the classic cartoon or other media, I give it credit for balancing it with its original writing. It doesn't use "WE USED TO HAVE A BETTER SHOW SO MANY YEARS AGO" every episode. It doesn't use "Please make and sign an Internet petition to keep the series with the series with the same 8 characters and 5 locations going" as a clincher. It also tries to keep itself unique, and that is something I fervently believe most people will agree with me on, regardless of your views on TTG.

I've thought about this a lot because I used to be one of those "Sonic is dead" people. Now I just watch the series run that marathon with their legs asleep and wobbling like fresh jello because there are some good ideas still coming out. They're just mired in uninspired humor that's been stale for a few years now.

Back