Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

Sonic 3 & Knuckles almost last boss theme is god tier. I also played part of Sonic Advance 3 (has awesome music too like Sunset Hill Act 3 and Boss which is a remix of Green Hills. Great stage themes btw) and beat the original StH on the Genesis port for DS. Very fun, very creative level design (especially the Labyrinth Zone infinite fall or something similar in the Final Zone). The music was great there too (Starlight Zone, Final Boss).

Sonic is not about speed. That is an illusion. Sonic is about not getting hit or falling off the stage like all platformers.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles almost last boss theme is god tier. I also played part of Sonic Advance 3 (has awesome music too like Sunset Hill Act 3 and Boss which is a remix of Green Hills. Great stage themes btw) and beat the original StH on the Genesis port for DS. Very fun, very creative level design (especially the Labyrinth Zone infinite fall or something similar in the Final Zone). The music was great there too (Starlight Zone, Final Boss).

Sonic is not about speed. That is an illusion. Sonic is about not getting hit or falling off the stage like all platformers.
Is that the case in the new, 3d Sonics too?

Unleashed is about speed, Colo(u)rs is about platforming, Generations is a good balance between the 2, Lost World has a bit more platforming but I've been able to get a good bit of speed in most levels on 3DS and Wii U, in terms of the Rush games they're mostly about speed aswell as Colo(u)rs DS and Generations 3DS is like it's console counterpart a good balance between the 2

Haven't really played them as far as the 3D ones go. For instance the Dreamcast probably has some good ones and the Gamecube (Shadow the Hedgehog, Sonic '06?) or Wii ones (Secret Rings, Colors, Unleashed, Black Knight) might be a mixed bag of different feels and playstyles but I've heard Unleashed has a pretty good story.

Also there are quite a bit of spin-offs like Sonic Battle and Sonic Heroes and Sonic Racing, again, they might be a mixed bag, as well as games like the Sonic Chronicles (RPG game for DS) which I recommend because it's unloved, yet looks awesome.

Let me tell you, I am a big Sonic nut. In fact, there are only four games I played that I outright despise (Sonic Labyrinth, Tails Skypatrol, Sonic Riders and the 3DS version of Sonic Lost World).

My favorite title, though? Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (never played the Dreamcast version). What a fun game it was, and I actually found it to have aged fairly well.

Last edited:
Ah, Sonic, a once-great series that unfortunately lost its way over the years. I can say that I truly loved the Genesis games, and even got a lot of fun out the Adventure titles, but almost everything from Heroes onward was a massive decline in quality. It's a shame, because this series still has the workings of something that could be good. Great, even.

That said, I do still like aspects of the series, even to this day. Dr. Eggman is one of my favorite characters ever, and he's still just as likable and funny as he ever was. I think Eggman's one of the few enjoyable things left in this franchise, and I do look forward to his appearances. (A shock that a hammy bad guy with a big pink nose and a mustache would be popular at a Wario forum, I know.)

I actually used to run an Eggman site/forum back in the day. Wario Forums reminds me a little bit of that old community, so even though it's about a different topic, I definitely feel right at home here already.

Last edited:
Yeah, I remember. You used to run Eggman Empire. Too bad it's mostly dead now, though. Just me and one other user actually show up there these days. It's good that this community is still going strong, at least.

Some here already know that I'm a Sonic fan, thought my feelings for the franchise are rather....complicated.

2002 was when I got my first Sonic game, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle to be exact and I loved everything about it, the different playstyles, the story, the characters, the multiplayer and especially the soundtrack, with all of it's glorious buttrock, it was one of the defining games on the GameCube for me and made me want to follow the series loyally from then on out.

Sure I did notice that Shadow The Hedgehog was a bad game from the start, heard plenty of bad things about 06 prior to actually playing it and despised Colors, but hey Generations was good, what really kind off rubbed off on me was the general negativity of the Sonic community.

I already wasn't a fan of everyone other then Sonic, Tails and Eggman getting shafted and hated (and still hate) the Pontaff writing style, but what really drove me into negativity when it comes to Sonic was how once Colors hit the scene, the fanbase suddenly decited that everything between it and S3&K was 06 levels of bad with nothing redeeming about them (even well recieved games like Rush), hell Adventure 2 turned into the fucking anti-christ of gaming in the eyes of fans.

Those games had problems to be sure and there are plenty of things about the series that are deserving of scorn, but if you are already not a fan with how certain things are with the series and have to hear everything you did like about it shat on over and over again for years without anyone ever talking about the things they actually enjoy from the franchise and what made them fans to begin with it just becomes grating, me not enjoying Lost World and Boom games turning out as bad as they did certainly didn't help, it has actually gotten to a point where I spend large periods of time outright forgetting that I'm even a fan anymore.

The thing is I just got done watching ClementJ642's "why I like Sonic" video, where he basicly recites his history with the franchise and why he still likes it, as a way to respond to the negativity that's going around Sonic right now.

I may not agree with all of the points he made in the video, but hearing someone try to promote celebrating the things we DO love about the series really did bring me in the mood to go back to Unleashed or the Advance series again.
The series still has serious issues, the fanbase is still pessimistic and I don't get games from the series out of loyalty or completionalism anymore (and haven't for a while), but the stuff I like about it is still here and truth to be told, even with me personally growing more mixed towards the series I still honest to god love the blue fucker, I just sometimes need to get a bit of an reminder for it.

Of course it's fine for people to critisize the bad things about the series, hell there is plenty to go around as far as that is concerned, but it wouldn't hurt to look back at the things it DID do right on occasion.

Last edited:
Well, that's good. It was objectively rushed and glitchy, but if you enjoyed the experience, that's never a negative thing. Besides, that probably means that other Sonic games are even more fun for you, and more fun is also never a negative thing.

I'm glad to see a little bit of Sonic love around here.

I grew up with the Genesis games and they still hold a special place in my heart. Sonic 2 is still one of my favorite games. I honestly don't like the Dreamcast era. Unleashed, Colors, and Generations are recent(ish) titles I enjoy.

Something I see brought up a lot is how Lost World and Boom are horrible games. The latter suffered from an internal development hell, lack of good teamwork amongst the staff, and it had the character redesigns against it as soon as it was announced. The game was chock full of glitches and bad writing. It truly is a horrible game with plenty of good reasons that make it bad.

I give Lost World more slack because it doesn't suffer from a lot of the same problems Boom does. I personally enjoyed LW up until the very last world. Was the story not that exciting? Yeah. Were the Zeti goofy villains? I guess. It just didn't hit until the final world where Pontiac and Graff thought "Oh shit, we need to wrap this up!" and forced the worst parts of the story in your face at one time. The difficulty also ramped up very quickly which made a decently pleasant game turn into something that made me regret buying it.

I used to be a really big fan of Sonic long ago though I'm out of touch with everything after Heroes.

I enjoyed the Genesis,Game Gear, Dreamcast, and Gamecube era titles though I didn't play Riders or Shadow the Hedgehog.

Unfortunately the Sonic series is probably the first series where I got turned off by the fanbase and along with the decline that started around Shadow the Hedgehog I sort of just left the series with only Generations being the most recent title I played.

You're honestly not missing much after Heroes. Unleashed and Colors are the only other titles I'd recommend, and even then I'd check commentary-less videos of them on YouTube first.

The fanbase is horrible but honestly I never really interacted with it. The bad things in it make me cringe, but the guy getting arrested for pepper spraying a Gamestop employee over the fact Sonic's arms were blue back in 2014 trumps a lot of the bad stigma from the past.

I've been meaning to try those two titles though money has always been a bit of an issue for me in terms of games so it takes me forever to get to some games.

I've never interacted with it either but it just put me off and I didn't want to be associated with it I guess. I know of that crazy guy, I've been following his antics on and off for a while and he doesn't really do any justice to the sonic fanbase.

It wasn't until I was a teen that I actually played my first sonic game and unfortunately it had to be Shadow the Hedgehog. Don't remember how I got it all I remembered is getting annoyed at Charmy's voice, and also guns lots and lots of guns. That game is the epitome of bad level design, bland music and just well... bad everything. It's as been said here after Sonic Adventure the decline just fell rapidly.

However I did get a chance to download all 3 classic sonic games on my Xbox 360 and I even owned Sonic Advance 3(which pretty much plays like the classic games just with updated designs of the characters.) As of now I'd say my favorite game of this series would be Sonic 2, it just felt the most complete to me. That dude that was talked about is a very weird individual to say the least he's everything in a stereotypical Sonic fanboy you could imagine and then some.

Back