Sonic the Hedgehog Thread

And is Sonic Chronicles any good? It's kind of an obscure game I've only read about in Nintendo Power.

I personally thought it was pretty good but opinions on it tend to vary, the only real gripes I had with it was the surprisingly mediocre soundtrack and the fact that it ends on a cliffhanger that will probably never be resolved since SEGA and BioWare cancelled the sequel.

Oh it ain't mediocre, it's downright awful. Who could forget classics such as

sonic chronicles ost.gif

How could it be this bad? Well, there was a reason for it. Due to legal trouble involving using remixed music SEGA didn't own, the original music made for the game had to be replaced with crappy midis they pulled off of the internet at the last minute.

What a bummer.

I'm pretty certain the game as a whole was also pretty rushed. I think there were supposed to be more side quests and things but that didn't end up happening and so the game was released pretty bare bones.

Is Sonic Chronicles good? I remember really enjoying it back when it came out in 2008 (good gosh, the game is almost ten years old now). But looking back, it has a lot of flaws.

I remember enjoying the story enough to get by, and I do appreciate the characterization options, but in hindsight, I can see why some officials at Sega deem the game non-canon.

Also, yeah, the music wasn't too good. It's background noise at best, and it took me a while for me to even realize some of those songs even were remixes, because they were remixed so poorly.

Plus, since the Noctournus caused legal trouble simply by being inspired by Archie Sonic's Dark Legion, it caused Ken Penders' and nearly everyone other former writers' characters to be removed from the comic, and may have planted the seeds for Archie losing the license entirely. All because BioWare liked the idea of the Dark Legion and wanted to use it in a game.

The game ended on a cliffhanger. I remember hoping for a sequel and being excited for the storytelling possibilities, but sadly, it's been almost ten years now, and with the above-mentioned legal issues, it's better to say it's either non-canon or the cliffhanger got resolved offscreen. At least that way, I can at least assume it happened, and we just never saw it.

The game might still be worth it for the story alone, but at this point in time when a sequel will likely never happen, you better go in knowing it ends on a cliffhanger. What you do with that knowledge is up to you.

So at the SXSW panel a couple of days ago (That I forgot to post here.)
They uneviled some new stuff, nothing major, but new neithertheless.

A expansion to Sonic Mania called Sonic Mania Plus as well as a phyiscal release. (With Mighty and Ray coming back to the series.)

A series of 5 animated shorts centering on Classic Sonic Post Forces
And finally

A unknown Sonic racing game.

So lemme get my thoughts out real quick, Plus looks very neat
I'm intrigued in seeing how Mighty and Ray play out after being gone for so long (Especially Ray since he's never been playable in any 2D Sonic game.) and Encore mode also sounds very interesting as well. Though I'm a bit bummed out that Amy is absent.

The fact that the game is finally getting a phyiscal release though is fucking great
and for 29$ plus an artbook, that's a solid deal. (Though considering I already own two copies of Mania via the PS4 and Switch, I'm not super interested in triple dipping.)

Sonic Mania Adventures also looks very dope and I'm very excited to see how it plays out. (More animation by Tyson Heese is always a treat.)
And the concept art shown looks very neat.
sonic-mania-adventures-art.jpg

sonic-mania-adventures-art-3.jpg

sonic-mania-adventures-art-5.jpg

sonic-mania-adventures-art-8.jpg

The racing game though, I can't say since it shows very little
But the fact that the R is the same R as Sonic R's logo is a nice callback.
Hopefully when we do get gameplay, it looks good. but right now, can't say anything.

Anyways, that's all for the Sonic news dump.
Sorry about the news being late. (Got lazy)

Last edited:
Reactions: 607

Team Sonic Racing has officially been announced a couple of days back with a release date for winter 2018 for Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, Steam and PS4.
ss_74fb74ae48ae3a8168c629b55901fcc3365af714.1920x1080.jpg

44e4d5cc-7e98-4f89-8732-19ceb8 (1).png

03de6437-9cf8-4f57-bdaf-8edc79 (1).png

IMG_20180530_025224.jpg

Team Sonic Racing combines the best elements of arcade and fast-paced competitive style racing as you face-off with friends in intense multiplayer racing. Race together and work together as a team by sharing power-ups and speed boosts. Take control of your racing style - Choose from 3 distinct character types and unlock game changing vehicle customization options to suit your racing style. Speed up. Gear Up Team Racing at Sonic Speed!
  • Online Multiplayer & Local Co-Op Modes - 12 players per race, 4 player split screen, and various offline / online race modes including Grand Prix Mode, Exhibition Mode, - Time-Trial and Team Adventure Mode.
  • Team Racing Race as a team, - win as a team. Use various team moves to assist your teammates, knock out opponents and unleash your Team Ultimate.
  • Performance & Skin Customization - Alter the appearance and handling of your vehicle.
  • Wisps - 14 spectacular offensive and defensive items to help overcome rival teams and get ahead!
  • Adventure Mode - Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
  • Various Characters and Classes 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.

Sadly no gameplay footage, but they said we'll get footage at E3, so keep an eye out on that.
Game looks pretty dope here and the customization, Adventure Mode and especially the team mechanic aspects sound very intriguing.
Hopefully this can live up to the All Stars racing duology. (It's by Sumo Digital, so that's a good sign.)

Last edited:
  • Adventure Mode Unique story experience where players are introduced to basic game features and characters.
  • Various Characters and Classes 15 playable characters from across the Sonic Universe and 3 distinct character types including Speed, Technique, and Power classes.
That first sentence sounds so awkward. Is it a story mode or a tutorial mode?
I'm interested in seeing what a "Technique" type would mean in a racing game.

That first sentence sounds so awkward. Is it a story mode or a tutorial mode?
I'm interested in seeing what a "Technique" type would mean in a racing game.
I assume it's a story mode, but with some tutorial elements made to generally introduce people into the game and it's basic mechanics, At least, that's what I got from it.

I assume it's a story mode, but with some tutorial elements made to generally introduce people into the game and it's basic mechanics, At least, that's what I got from it.
That would make sense, though still a pretty weird way to try to hype up that mode.

I reckon Tails' ride is the classiest of the bunch. I can imagine him blasting some big band swing or a bit of Bobby Darin through the speakers, while those other jalopies choke on his fumes, trying to overtake him.
IMG_0665.JPG

Had to do a quick and shitty drawing with that scenerio in mind.

For best effect.

• Haha
Does anyone like playing Sonic the Hedgehog using cheats where you cannot get any rings at all?

They are really hard (I have to use infinite lives), but they are really fun and are a good way to rage if you like it!
The feeling you get while winning with this feels so good!

• Informative
Does anyone like playing Sonic the Hedgehog using cheats where you cannot get any rings at all?

They are really hard (I have to use infinite lives), but they are really fun and are a good way to rage if you like it!
The feeling you get while winning with this feels so good!
That sounds fun. I don't have any cheat engines, though.

Back