[Fan Content] Super Wario Land [Fan-game]

So yes, the Demo is out. Some say it's "Good", which is nice to hear, but two people at MFGG (Mario Fan Games Galaxy) made a detailed review each. They weren't really positive to the game...to say the least.

I'm kind of in doubt of continuing this project. I simply don't know if it has quality enough at all. Like one of the reviewers said in his summary to his review of this: "It tries to be a successor to Wario Land, but it was absolutely no fun. Here's hoping the full game is better."

And he does have very valid points. So has the other reviewer. They're no "haters" or "trolls" or anything, they simply made 2 very good, solid and honest reviews. And this is MFGG we're talking about, a website dedicated to fan games. The people there know what they're talking about.

So I don't know, I had a little hope that this would actually be a good game, but, I don't know now.

So yes, the Demo is out. Some say it's "Good", which is nice to hear, but two people at MFGG (Mario Fan Games Galaxy) made a detailed review each. They weren't really positive to the game...to say the least.

I'm kind of in doubt of continuing this project. I simply don't know if it has quality enough at all. Like one of the reviewers said in his summary to his review of this: "It tries to be a successor to Wario Land, but it was absolutely no fun. Here's hoping the full game is better."

And he does have very valid points. So has the other reviewer. They're no "haters" or "trolls" or anything, they simply made 2 very good, solid and honest reviews. And this is MFGG we're talking about, a website dedicated to fan games. The people there know what they're talking about.

So I don't know, I had a little hope that this would actually be a good game, but, I don't know now.

As the person who posted the more detailed review there, I would like to say that you should continue.

Yes, it's not perfect. Graphics are a bit all over the place and some need a bit of touching up. There are some issues with game and level design you'll need to take care of soon. That sort of thing.

But the game has promise. The level concepts seem interesting, the power up system is pretty neat and I really like much of the soundtrack. The game does have a lot of positive aspects to it, it's just obviously in its early beta stages and is hence extremely rough around the edges.

Don't give up. Keep working and make it the best possible Wario Land game it can be. You can make something great out of this project if you put the time and effort in.

I'd say listen to the feedback from us as much as possible, and continue work on the project, if you're having fun. But do it because you like doing it, and not because you want to get good reviews.

As the person who posted the more detailed review there, I would like to say that you should continue.

Yes, it's not perfect. Graphics are a bit all over the place and some need a bit of touching up. There are some issues with game and level design you'll need to take care of soon. That sort of thing.

But the game has promise. The level concepts seem interesting, the power up system is pretty neat and I really like much of the soundtrack. The game does have a lot of positive aspects to it, it's just obviously in its early beta stages and is hence extremely rough around the edges.

Don't give up. Keep working and make it the best possible Wario Land game it can be. You can make something great out of this project if you put the time and effort in.
Thanks. But I've really done the best I can (I think) with this. And it apparently turned out horrible, with a horrible engine, clashing graphics, bad level design, etc etc., so I honestly don't think more work is gonna fix anything if my work so far has been this bad, even though I've put a whole lot of work into this. And if many of the problems lie in the engine itself, I would need to remake a LOT, since one thing affects another thing which affects another thing, etc., and it's not the easiest thing in the world to do...

So, eh, I don't know. Another failed project.

I'd say listen to the feedback from us as much as possible, and continue work on the project, if you're having fun. But do it because you like doing it, and not because you want to get good reviews.
I was having fun, until I realized myself how bad this actually is. I'm not making this to get good reviews only, but understanding that what you make is really bad is a very big motivation killer.

Dude, often times this is a natural part of the creative process. You put out a demo, you got criticism, now you know what needs to be fixed and/or worked on, so the next step is to get back to work, not to quit. This happens to a lot of projects, it doesn't mean give up. Be thankful you got this stuff pointed out to you this early on so you didn't have to see your whole game get lambasted.

If you have to bust your ass to fix it, than bust your ass. You have to be willing to go all the way to make your art the best it can possibly be. And if you don't believe in the project than no one else will either.

If you let this fail, it's only because you didn't want it to succeed bad enough.

100% agree with @Juan Schwartz here.

You can improve. You can make really good games if you put your mind to it.

I mean, I've had the mindset you have now with Mario's Nightmare Quest. I've nearly given up a ton of times, took quite a bit of criticism for design issues and have often grown unsatisfied with the level design.

But I haven't given up. And I won't give up. Because giving up on a game pretty much guarantees it will be bad forever.

And you should do the same. Super Wario Land isn't a failed project, at least if you continue with it. But do you know what would be one?

This game if you tossed it all away and just gave up on the project.

There's potential here @WwwWario, don't squander it by just giving up on the whole project as a 'failure'.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and give something a bit different. The non-CM30 review made me a bit mad and I'm not even involved with this.

The review was needlessly redundant by starting with "Looks like WwwWario has stopped making his FNAF clones" . It comes off more like the reviewer has a personal issue with WwwWario because he doesn't like the games he was making before, or FNAF out in general. What does this have to do with this game? Nothing. Who cares about FNAF, we're talking about Wario. This is just fan work anyway, so it's pointless to pull a rabid Sonic fan move and bring up irrelevant fluff.

The following statements come off as being presumptuous:
"Ho boy, the gameplay. It's just completely awkward! First off, the Star Select GUI requires the mouse, whilst everything else requires keyboard controls. This isn't a DS game, you can't just do that and expect players to slide into it like DMs."
Ho boy, let me use exasperated phrases disguised as me trying to be helpful!

"The spriting of the game is alright. WwwWario here may not have made most of them, but that's never something to bother me."
Obviously it's bothering you because you had to mention it.

"The music doesn't loop the best, but it's pretty good. Props to Alex on that."
This is the only good thing he says about anyone on the team, and addresses WwwWario by name several times.

"It tries to be a successor to Wario Land, but it was absolutely no fun. Here's hoping the full game is better."
Except you really don't want it to be better because all you're doing is disguising your annoyance with the game or WwwWario with masked condescension.

@WwwWario, I can see why something like this would discourage you. Did the person give clear feedback? Yes. Was he specific about certain issues? Yes. The guy is an idiot for the way he expressed himself, but please, please do not let this shape the public perception of the game in your mind.

The review @CM30 wrote for you is highly constructive. He gives you honest feedback that's not disguised in poor wordplay, fake sincerity, and he wants your game to be good. See if there's anything you can easily work out.

I can't tell you if continuing the game or stopping is best. That's something only you can decide. Keep in mind though that you have one detractor and several cheerleaders rooting for you. Anything worth doing and anything worthwhile is going to be hard to get to and do. Think back to the days, nights, weekends, hours you've poured into the project. The excitement, nervousness, happiness that you put into this have carried you to this point and I'm sure you probably think back to those times. Let that excitement guide you when or if you continue to work on this.

Think about this too - the game loads, runs, you can get to the main game, play control Wario... You've made a game. You made a game! This is something most people want to do but are too scared to. You beat the odds. If anything you deserve a pat on the back for that.

I'm very sorry to see you so discouraged over the initial perception. While that reviewer I criticized did have coherent criticisms (coherent in the sense that he was able to name issues despite his fluffy bamter). Just know that you have us for support if you need it.

And keep trying!

I've been keeping an eye on this project and I certainly believe it deserves a lot of respect.
I can see there was a lot of dedication put in this project and there are a lot of fun elements in it as well (I really like the Wario bike!)

Ofcourse, the reviews may seem a bit blunt, but it is still constructive critism. You have to take note of the points that are made and try to improve on them. Personally I like to look at critic points as a sort of to-do list.
I've seen many of your other projects, @WwwWario, and you have really been improving as time goes by.

It is very understandable that the reviews have been overwhelming. But in the end, learning and having fun with creating games is WAY more important than the end product. ;)

UPDATE

So, I talked about canceling the game. I still haven't left that idea. But I decided to give this one more shot. I'm leaving tomorrow, starting a new school, and will only be home in some weekends and during vacations. But, IF this project is worth continuing, I'll work on this when I'm home and have time. So I made an updated demo for you guys to try out, and give feedback on. I've tried to fix most things people were unhappy about, but I have no idea if it's good enough.

Anyway, what people were most upset about was confusing level design, and confusion around the Costumes, as well as the game being too hard. The game is about exploration though, but I can understand the confusion. So, what I've done in this update is as follows:

-Made a full tutorial level where most basic things are explained, like controls and explaining Heart Stones, as well as the transformation boxes and how they're used, where I mention how important it is to READ about the costumes and learn what each can do
-Added more hearts in the levels
-You now use the keyboard instead of the mouse when selecting a star mission
-Made a few graphical upgrades (more details to the umbrella enemy, black outlines for the normal enemies, and more details to the palm trees in Level 2)
-Made some changes in the level design to make it less confusing and more obvious. The changes are:
  • In Level 1, on the Frog Wario Goes For a Swim star, the player could swim down the water, and go far down, only to figure out that you NEED Frog Wario to proceed there, and they had to backtrack. So I've now moved the Frog box to before you even enter the water, and added a vine in the water below, so you cannot go down there without the Frog Suit, so then you know that you need the Frog suit to proceed, and that the Frog Wario Goes For a Swim star is most likely down there.
  • In Level 2, I've moved the Cloud Wario box to the entrance of the pyramid, to make it more obvious that you need Cloud Wario to reach the secret door above to get the The Great Pyramid Holds a Secret star.
  • Removed a few enemies at some places to make it slightly easier
  • Removed some boxes in the cave on the far left in Level 2 to make it quicker to get the Heart Stone (Eariler, you'd had to break those blocks with a Dash attack, THEN go and get Cloud Wario to reach a secret door to get the Heart Stone. Now you don't need to break those blocks).
  • Added 2 signs in Level 2 saying "Mines" that points downwards, next to the explosive blocks. That way you'll know where the path to the mines/ruins is, and that you need Biker Wario to get down there.
  • Added a sign down in the ruins saying "Pyramid" that points to the right, so you know where that path leads.
  • Removed one Rock Block down in the Well in Level 1 (Blocks that you only can destroy by picking up a rock and throw it at the block). Previously, it was 2 blocks there, so you needed to break one, go back and grab another one, and break the other. Now it's just 1 block, so it goes faster to proceed.

Hopefully this will make the game more understandable and less confusing and less hard. I'd love if you guys could try it out and tell me what you think.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/051ldetjr2g6e2t/Project+Wario+Land+v11(2).exe

Happy to see that you are still continuing development. :)

I've almost completed it now (got 8 stars and one red diamond, unlocked all costumes)
Here's a few pointers from me:
- The tutorial level is good and clear. I do think you should mention that the red diamond and star are just for display, though.
- The level design seems alright by me, There is definitly improvement there. I got the 8 stars without too much problems. however there are a few items that I think are unreachable, like here: http://i.imgur.com/CFOGU9S.png (or maybe I am missing something)
- As dragon wario, I got stuck here: http://i.imgur.com/EFPlTp3.png Perhaps his fire should get the ability to destroy blocks as well?
- You can press 'up' at the level bubbles (in the level select screen) multiple times, it causes the level enter sound to play multiple times.
- The boss in 'The Great Pyramid Holds a Secret star' is too unforgiving. I died a lot there. The collision seems to be very big, perhaps the enemy could shrink in size each time it gets hit?
- I got stuck ground pounding at the giant tornado: http://i.imgur.com/B3aiO6w.gifv
- I think the Big ? block that unlocks the ! blocks should be a big ! block as well.

Also, I like the missions you put in there, perhaps these missions can reward some coins as well? Rewards give more incentive to complete them.

Well, I've just played the update.

For the most part, it's better. The level design is certainly less confusing, that's for sure. I guess it looked a bit better, though I didn't really notice much there.

However, there are still two issues.

1. The secret boss in the pyramid doesn't work properly. I seem to get hit purely for landing on it, and sometime because it seems it doesn't turn non solid when in mercy invincibility mode. So maybe figure out a way to make it easier to beat, perhaps by having it take less hits, not hurt you when you land on its head, etc.

2. There's a very weird issue with the door in the frog Wario area. You can enter it from off the side of the ledge, and you end up back outside the frog Wario area instead of at the beach. This is very annoying, especially given how easy it is to make that mistake.

So yeah, it's a good game, and the updates do improve quite a bit, but it needs a few more tweaks and bug fixes yet.

Happy to see that you are still continuing development. :)

I've almost completed it now (got 8 stars and one red diamond, unlocked all costumes)
Here's a few pointers from me:
- The tutorial level is good and clear. I do think you should mention that the red diamond and star are just for display, though.
- The level design seems alright by me, There is definitly improvement there. I got the 8 stars without too much problems. however there are a few items that I think are unreachable, like here: http://i.imgur.com/CFOGU9S.png (or maybe I am missing something)
- As dragon wario, I got stuck here: http://i.imgur.com/EFPlTp3.png Perhaps his fire should get the ability to destroy blocks as well?
- You can press 'up' at the level bubbles (in the level select screen) multiple times, it causes the level enter sound to play multiple times.
- The boss in 'The Great Pyramid Holds a Secret star' is too unforgiving. I died a lot there. The collision seems to be very big, perhaps the enemy could shrink in size each time it gets hit?
- I got stuck ground pounding at the giant tornado: http://i.imgur.com/B3aiO6w.gifv
- I think the Big ? block that unlocks the ! blocks should be a big ! block as well.

Also, I like the missions you put in there, perhaps these missions can reward some coins as well? Rewards give more incentive to complete them.
Thanks for the feedback! :)

-Good point. I do think I'll move the star to the end of the level instead, to make it end like a normal level does.
-Ah yes. If you look right below your feet, there's a crack in the ground :) Secret block you can break
-Nice find. Fixed it now by adding a path to the right blocked by vines
-Thanks, fixed now
-Will look into that mini boss right now
-Upsy. Will find a solution to that
-Good idea, will look into it

Now it needs an Ashley power up, which turns Wario into Ashley! wand can now be used. :3

Where can I try out this game? or is it top secret that only a select few can play?

Edit : Never mind, found it! All I had to do was read the updates.

Back