[Fan Content] Super Wario Land [Fan-game]

looks amazing! and 4 sections, with each section having a different section having it own song, that sounds beautiful! can't wait to hear what music comes next from the ones I've already heard! still hyped for this game! can't wait to see more!

Shouldn't the same be true of that Wario Land 3 hack?

Either way, I'm leaving it here so the Wario Land section gets some more attention.

The video has been uploading for hours already... my upload speed is so slow! >.<
Shouldn't the same be true of that Wario Land 3 hack?

Either way, I'm leaving it here so the Wario Land section gets some more attention.
I don't think so, as that is actually a Wario Land game, while this is a fan-made game.

I think both are fine to be kept here, if we were to be that strict then the General Chat would need some serious cleaning up, with the dozens of Wario/Gaming Threads that people keep posting there, but it's not like either example is activly harming anything, so I don't think that moving stuff around would be all that necessary, unless the thread creator requests it.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Either way, I posted some thoughts on this demo at Mario Fan Games Galaxy, but I'll mention them here too:

On the bright side, the level design is incredibly interesting in the beach level I tried out. For example, it's got lots of different secrers and alterate paths, it's massive to the point you never quite know what to expect and really... I like how all these different themes are mixed into one level. It's a bit like what you'd get if you mixed Wario Land with Banjo-Tooie.

The music is really good too. Okay, it was nice when it was posted on its own, but it's ten times better when heard in the actual game. It fits the atmosphere of each section fantastically.

The physics mostly work quite well too, which is nice. It's rather difficult to replicate Wario Land physics in a fan game (as many other people's failed attempts in the past will show you), and for the most part, this game does it really well.

That said, there are a few issues. For one thing, the ground pound needs fixing. It's too slow to be useful, and leaves you wide open for attacks afterwards. Contrast to in Wario Land 4 and Shake It where its quick and easy to 'recover' from and is hence much more useful to the player.

Ladder physics are another issue, I find it very hard to grab a ladder in mid air. Presumably this is because the hitbox is too precise, whereas it should be made a bit 'looser'. Basically, think of a vine in a Mario game. Mario can grab onto any part of it, even the very edge, and the same holds for ladders and vines in Wario Land. In here on the other hand, Wario has to be dead centre or he drops like a stone.

Swimming needs fixing too. Currently you press A to swim up and let go to fall down, which isn't very precise. It'd be better if it was like an actual Wario game, where you just hold the direction you want to swim and Wario just goes in that direction.

Finally, the levels also sometimes feel a tad... empty. Maybe some more enemies would help, or some more scenery in the background.

Either way, I posted some thoughts on this demo at Mario Fan Games Galaxy, but I'll mention them here too:

On the bright side, the level design is incredibly interesting in the beach level I tried out. For example, it's got lots of different secrers and alterate paths, it's massive to the point you never quite know what to expect and really... I like how all these different themes are mixed into one level. It's a bit like what you'd get if you mixed Wario Land with Banjo-Tooie.

The music is really good too. Okay, it was nice when it was posted on its own, but it's ten times better when heard in the actual game. It fits the atmosphere of each section fantastically.

The physics mostly work quite well too, which is nice. It's rather difficult to replicate Wario Land physics in a fan game (as many other people's failed attempts in the past will show you), and for the most part, this game does it really well.

That said, there are a few issues. For one thing, the ground pound needs fixing. It's too slow to be useful, and leaves you wide open for attacks afterwards. Contrast to in Wario Land 4 and Shake It where its quick and easy to 'recover' from and is hence much more useful to the player.

Ladder physics are another issue, I find it very hard to grab a ladder in mid air. Presumably this is because the hitbox is too precise, whereas it should be made a bit 'looser'. Basically, think of a vine in a Mario game. Mario can grab onto any part of it, even the very edge, and the same holds for ladders and vines in Wario Land. In here on the other hand, Wario has to be dead centre or he drops like a stone.

Swimming needs fixing too. Currently you press A to swim up and let go to fall down, which isn't very precise. It'd be better if it was like an actual Wario game, where you just hold the direction you want to swim and Wario just goes in that direction.

Finally, the levels also sometimes feel a tad... empty. Maybe some more enemies would help, or some more scenery in the background.
I see what you mean with the ground pound, and I have to agree!

Ladder physics are weird, I noticed that too. I'll ask Andy if he's able to fix those.

I feel like the swimming is simpler this way, but I think Andy should consider this.

The levels feel empty because the game isn't finished yet. A lot of assets are missing, some tiles aren't there yet... etc. Though we're actively working on making everything look good, level design / visual wise!

Finally, it was uploaded! Here's my video:
Copied from the description, for those who prefer embedded videos:
"This project wasn't made by me: working on it are WwwWario, gameonion, BRIE, and Bauerklos.
It's in its Alpha stages, and a thread about it is located on warioforums: http://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/super-wario-land-fan-game.1576/
Anyway, I liked this level!
Some feedback:
- I don't like the ground pound delay. It doesn't feel Wario-like and it's unnecessarily off-setting.
- Frog Wario should be able to swim up and down, not only left and right. Tapping "Jump" repeatedly is tedious and doesn't work well. Being able to swim up and down also lends for more fluent level design around the power-up.
- Dieing is too easy, and the punishment too harsh. I know you're supposed to get more hearts later on, but that means the first level would be the easiest to die in, which doesn't make sense to me. I died for stupid reasons, and having to redo the entire mission up to the point I died is tedious.
- Why does water hurt Dragon Wario? It doesn't make sense to me, and I think making Dragon Wario able to do stuff underwater like in the original Wario Land would lend to more interesting level design, as standard Wario can't smash blocks underwater.
- For the level design: make people need to go different ways right from the start. The level intro doesn't need to be at the far left side: it could be in the middle or something. The beginning of each mission is the same now, and it would be more fun if the paths to each star would diverge earlier, instead of one long path to the end of the level and then some splits along that long path.
Other than that, I think it's mostly polishing that needs to be done, and some more variety needs to be added. For example, not every enemy that acts the same has to look the same. But I think such improvements will be made down the line.
Anyway: like I said before, it's quite easy to die. The question for this video, is as follows: How many times did Wario die in this video recording? If you're the first to correctly answer the question, you'll earn 9 CP (it's so much because it's quite a long video ;)) (folk.simpsite.nl/cp)"

Finally, it was uploaded! Here's my video:
Copied from the description, for those who prefer embedded videos:
"This project wasn't made by me: working on it are WwwWario, gameonion, BRIE, and Bauerklos.
It's in its Alpha stages, and a thread about it is located on warioforums: http://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/super-wario-land-fan-game.1576/
Anyway, I liked this level!
Some feedback:
- I don't like the ground pound delay. It doesn't feel Wario-like and it's unnecessarily off-setting.
- Frog Wario should be able to swim up and down, not only left and right. Tapping "Jump" repeatedly is tedious and doesn't work well. Being able to swim up and down also lends for more fluent level design around the power-up.
- Dieing is too easy, and the punishment too harsh. I know you're supposed to get more hearts later on, but that means the first level would be the easiest to die in, which doesn't make sense to me. I died for stupid reasons, and having to redo the entire mission up to the point I died is tedious.
- Why does water hurt Dragon Wario? It doesn't make sense to me, and I think making Dragon Wario able to do stuff underwater like in the original Wario Land would lend to more interesting level design, as standard Wario can't smash blocks underwater.
- For the level design: make people need to go different ways right from the start. The level intro doesn't need to be at the far left side: it could be in the middle or something. The beginning of each mission is the same now, and it would be more fun if the paths to each star would diverge earlier, instead of one long path to the end of the level and then some splits along that long path.
Other than that, I think it's mostly polishing that needs to be done, and some more variety needs to be added. For example, not every enemy that acts the same has to look the same. But I think such improvements will be made down the line.
Anyway: like I said before, it's quite easy to die. The question for this video, is as follows: How many times did Wario die in this video recording? If you're the first to correctly answer the question, you'll earn 9 CP (it's so much because it's quite a long video ;)) (folk.simpsite.nl/cp)"

Oh, trust me. I died a lot too, especially in the well. Andy already made some adjustments, so don't worry! ;)

Water hurts Dragon Wario for specific level design related reasons. Not in this level, but in later levels down the line.

For other levels, we're planning different starting points. Same for different missions. The current spawn point was just set for the demo, there will be different spawns in the final game, along with missions changing the levels a bit. Also: I like that enemy idea!

HgZD8t6.png
Yawns Just gonna leave this here...runs away

Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed new things, too. But... I don't really know, eh, there's so much wrong with this now... level design seems poor, lots of mechanics suck which aren't the easiest to change, levels are empty, and... that's pretty much the whole game, isn't it? Nothing much left that's good about it except the music and the graphics :\

Also, ladders work perfectly fine for me. I can grab them by just slightly touching them... I don't have any problems with them. If I hold up, he won't grab it but he will quickly grab it and jump upwards. Maybe that's what you are referring to. But grabbing it shouldn't be a problem at all.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. I've noticed new things, too. But... I don't really know, eh, there's so much wrong with this now... level design seems poor, lots of mechanics suck which aren't the easiest to change, levels are empty, and... that's pretty much the whole game, isn't it? Nothing much left that's good about it except the music and the graphics :\

No! Level design is good, lots of the mechanics are good, levels are interesting...
It's already very good! But the purpose of such releasing of prototypes is getting feedback. And feedback is needed to make a game that is worthy of the original Wario Land games. That does not mean this version wasn't good, however!

Anything new?
Don't worry, we're not dead. :D
We'll update you if something worthwhile happens or when we want to. If we don't update for a while, we're probably still working on it. Also take note that we have a private life to take care of too!
So please, be patient if we don't post! Feel free to discuss existing things though, I'll be watching / reading...

Back