The differences between the B&W WL2 and the color WL2

Vampfox

Wario Fan Supreme
Coins
Coins
The original Wario Land 2 and the Gameboy Color Wario Land 2 are pretty much the same game however their is one small difference between the two.
An underwater enemy has been replaced.
See for yourself.

Original verison.

Color verison.

As you can see the underwater enemy in the first picture was replaced with the sawfish enemy in the color verison.

The enemy from the first verison doesn't have a name as far as I know it doesn't even have a page on Mario Wiki.

I think that we should try and get this on Mario Wiki.

Attachments

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Gold Necklace Gold Earrings User Title Style Change Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined)
Huh, that's interesting. Maybe I'll add it today.

Edit: I need to confirm this. Can anyone find a video of the black and white version of Wario Land II for me?

Last edited:

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined) Gold Necklace Gold Earrings User Title Style Change Postbit Highlight (Pre-Defined)
Huh, that's interesting. Looks like a beta fish they used for exactly one room in the level.

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Well, started the page:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Kamukamu

I assume they're the same as the boss, given their similarities in appearance and attack pattern. However, I still need a few more details, like how to attack the enemy and a sprite to display for it.

This could be tricky given the lack of Game Boy classic Wario Land II ROMs online...

Triple M

Magma Mixer Murata
Coins
Coins
Username Change User Name Style Change
Huh, that's interesting. Looks like a beta fish they used for exactly one room in the level.
They probably forgot to make that fish the same as the others and for the color version fixed that mistake. I wonder if there are any other differences in the color version?

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
They probably forgot to make that fish the same as the others and for the color version fixed that mistake. I wonder if there are any other differences in the color version?
I'm gonna see tomorrow. But there's a video up there, so if anyone has a bit of free time, get comparing!

JS Shantae

Half-Genie Hero
Diamond City Insider
Coins
Coins
The original Wario Land 2 and the Gameboy Color Wario Land 2 are pretty much the same game however their is one small difference between the two.
An underwater enemy has been replaced.
See for yourself.

Original verison.

Color verison.

As you can see the underwater enemy in the first picture was replaced with the sawfish enemy in the color verison.

The enemy from the first verison doesn't have a name as far as I know it doesn't even have a page on Mario Wiki.

I think that we should try and get this on Mario Wiki.

Well I'll be goddamned. I thought I knew everything there was to know about this game.

Good find!

1459802683255.png

Reianoid

Practically a spambot.
Coins
Coins
Sorry for a bit of a necropost,but I also have gotten some footage of this as well. =) (Sorry for background noise,forgot to shut off my mic.)

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
Wow, looks pretty good! But can you kill those enemies in any way? Or are they invincible like the Sawfish?

Also, someone should check if this worm enemy is used anywhere:

WL2_Worm.png

The Cutting Room Floor says its graphics exist in the Game Boy Color one, but that (like the fish) it's not used anywhere. So is it possibly used in the Game Boy version? Does any code exist for it that it doesn't exist in the revamped game? Are the graphics different?

Could be another one to look for.

Reianoid

Practically a spambot.
Coins
Coins
Wow, looks pretty good! But can you kill those enemies in any way? Or are they invincible like the Sawfish?

Also, someone should check if this worm enemy is used anywhere:

View attachment 1951

The Cutting Room Floor says its graphics exist in the Game Boy Color one, but that (like the fish) it's not used anywhere. So is it possibly used in the Game Boy version? Does any code exist for it that it doesn't exist in the revamped game? Are the graphics different?

Could be another one to look for.
I'll try to find it in my own freetime,then I'll post a video an upload it on here. =) And they are invinsible,and they seem to have a resistance against hitting it on it's underside,though I can still be hit. It's not effective as the Sawfish.

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
WOOAAAH I had no idea! I thought that was an unused sprite! Wow.

Another difference I noticed is that the windows in the GBC version are rectangular instead of rounded. That's because of the limited colors. It would've looked weird if they had kept the shape.

Reianoid

Practically a spambot.
Coins
Coins
WOOAAAH I had no idea! I thought that was an unused sprite! Wow.

Another difference I noticed is that the windows in the GBC version are rectangular instead of rounded. That's because of the limited colors. It would've looked weird if they had kept the shape.
I've also noticed tiny details while playing it as well. =P Really intresting. And on the title screen two of the edges on the cloud sprites are peach colored while the rest are black.

Coins
Coins
Hm... the GBC version is still good though, right?
Because my copy of Wario Land II won't save anymore, and I'd like to play it again so I was thinking of getting the GBC version, as I hadn't ever played that yet.
Is the GBC version way inferior to the original or are they both good?

JoeKarta

Bucket Head
Coins
Coins
Because my copy of Wario Land II won't save anymore, and I'd like to play it again so I was thinking of getting the GBC version, as I hadn't ever played that yet.
I would say the GBC version is even better because color makes the game look so much better.

Reianoid

Practically a spambot.
Coins
Coins
There's really no big differences (Besides the enemy that this thread mentioned a lot), though I still recommend the GBC version like JoeKarta said,it looks nicer.

ShyGuyXXL

Shyster Guyster
Diamond City Leader
Coins
Coins
So I just downloaded a rom of the B&W version and I'm gonna play through it in its entirety and if I notice any more notable differences (not gonna mention every pixel that's different) then I'll let you know.
Right now all the physics feel the same. But there's a bit of lag when you break a lot of boxes or walls but maybe that's because of the emulator.

Hey, @CM30 , here's an image of the fish, if you wanna put it on the wiki:
Fish.png