The differences between the B&W WL2 and the color WL2

Vampfox

Wario Fan Supreme
The original Wario Land 2 and the Gameboy Color Wario Land 2 are pretty much the same game however their is one small difference between the two.
An underwater enemy has been replaced.
See for yourself.

Original verison.

Color verison.

As you can see the underwater enemy in the first picture was replaced with the sawfish enemy in the color verison.

The enemy from the first verison doesn't have a name as far as I know it doesn't even have a page on Mario Wiki.

I think that we should try and get this on Mario Wiki.

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-22_3-57-45.png
    upload_2016-7-22_3-57-45.png
    575.5 KB · Views: 822
Huh, that's interesting. Maybe I'll add it today.

Edit: I need to confirm this. Can anyone find a video of the black and white version of Wario Land II for me?

Last edited:
Huh, that's interesting. Looks like a beta fish they used for exactly one room in the level.

Well, started the page:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Kamukamu

I assume they're the same as the boss, given their similarities in appearance and attack pattern. However, I still need a few more details, like how to attack the enemy and a sprite to display for it.

This could be tricky given the lack of Game Boy classic Wario Land II ROMs online...

Huh, that's interesting. Looks like a beta fish they used for exactly one room in the level.
They probably forgot to make that fish the same as the others and for the color version fixed that mistake. I wonder if there are any other differences in the color version?

They probably forgot to make that fish the same as the others and for the color version fixed that mistake. I wonder if there are any other differences in the color version?

I'm gonna see tomorrow. But there's a video up there, so if anyone has a bit of free time, get comparing!

The original Wario Land 2 and the Gameboy Color Wario Land 2 are pretty much the same game however their is one small difference between the two.
An underwater enemy has been replaced.
See for yourself.

Original verison.

Color verison.

As you can see the underwater enemy in the first picture was replaced with the sawfish enemy in the color verison.

The enemy from the first verison doesn't have a name as far as I know it doesn't even have a page on Mario Wiki.

I think that we should try and get this on Mario Wiki.

Well I'll be goddamned. I thought I knew everything there was to know about this game.

Good find!

1459802683255.png

Hold the phone, folks. That fish is not the only difference between the GB and GBC versions.

That fish also appears in a secret room in the second level "Turn Off the Giant Faucet". There are THREE of them lurking below the main path, beneath the water current (that hidden coin room just below the treasure minigame). These fish chase and latch on like a Metroid, draining your coins until you shake them off. A really cool, creepy, free-roaming baddie. I've only ever found a total of four in the whole game.

Another difference is the huge boulders that flatten you in the secret cavern chapter. In the original GB version the boulders will shatter if you stand underneath them whilst holding a rock. In the GBC version, they'll simply knock the rock out of your hand and smash you flat.

Last edited:
Found another video with the enemy.

Skip to 2:16.

The video only shows two fish, but that's because the third one usually glitches away. I remember this happening with specific underwater areas in the original Wario Land. Fairly common with GB/NES platformers, though....

Last edited:
Wow, looks pretty good! But can you kill those enemies in any way? Or are they invincible like the Sawfish?

Also, someone should check if this worm enemy is used anywhere:

WL2_Worm.png

The Cutting Room Floor says its graphics exist in the Game Boy Color one, but that (like the fish) it's not used anywhere. So is it possibly used in the Game Boy version? Does any code exist for it that it doesn't exist in the revamped game? Are the graphics different?

Could be another one to look for.

Wow, looks pretty good! But can you kill those enemies in any way? Or are they invincible like the Sawfish?

Also, someone should check if this worm enemy is used anywhere:

View attachment 1951

The Cutting Room Floor says its graphics exist in the Game Boy Color one, but that (like the fish) it's not used anywhere. So is it possibly used in the Game Boy version? Does any code exist for it that it doesn't exist in the revamped game? Are the graphics different?

Could be another one to look for.
I'll try to find it in my own freetime,then I'll post a video an upload it on here. =) And they are invinsible,and they seem to have a resistance against hitting it on it's underside,though I can still be hit. It's not effective as the Sawfish.

WOOAAAH I had no idea! I thought that was an unused sprite! Wow.

Another difference I noticed is that the windows in the GBC version are rectangular instead of rounded. That's because of the limited colors. It would've looked weird if they had kept the shape.

• Agree
Reactions: Rei
WOOAAAH I had no idea! I thought that was an unused sprite! Wow.

Another difference I noticed is that the windows in the GBC version are rectangular instead of rounded. That's because of the limited colors. It would've looked weird if they had kept the shape.

I've also noticed tiny details while playing it as well. =P Really intresting. And on the title screen two of the edges on the cloud sprites are peach colored while the rest are black.

The original GB version used to be just as common as the GBC version here in Australia. I own both and they each have the same brilliant Super Game Boy enhancements.

Unfortunately, like most Super Game Boy-enhanced games released 1996-onwards, the colour palette is completely locked. This means you can't choose or change the default colour palette programmed into the game (which is mostly bland and monotone). I've always wanted to know why early Super Game Boy titles like DK Land 1 let you edit the colour pallete, yet, most titles released 1996 and onwards were locked to the default palettes, which were usually bland and monotone. It stinks, because half the fun was colouring your GB games anyway you liked! (Turning day levels to night, making lava look like water or ice etc.)

I have a sneaking suspicion it had something to do with damage to TV projection. Nintendo may have enforced a lock, and kept the default colours bland/monotone, to avoid damaged television sets. I say this because one of my favourite things was creating rich and beautiful colour palettes in DK Land 1, and whenever I used intense colours (lots of deep reds and pinks) I'd often get blotches and marks developing on the TV screen. And this occurred on more than one TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: 607
Hm... the GBC version is still good though, right?
Because my copy of Wario Land II won't save anymore, and I'd like to play it again so I was thinking of getting the GBC version, as I hadn't ever played that yet.
Is the GBC version way inferior to the original or are they both good?

Back