tahutoa:

• Waa

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Naa

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

...What the hell do you call this genre, by the way? I know it has a name, but I've no fucking clue what.
"Sad Clown music" is the name everyone would be recognize it by, but it's more specific than that.

Semi-related: I (sort of?) dislike that SoundCloud apparently says you can't make moolah off of anything but original comp's, but at least that's just more incentive to write more music.

...What the hell do you call this genre, by the way? I know it has a name, but I've no fucking clue what.
"Sad Clown music" is the name everyone would be recognize it by, but it's more specific than that.

Sounds like an organ toccata but with an electric piano instead. (I suppose it's an e-piano, right?)

Sounds like an organ toccata but with an electric piano instead. (I suppose it's an e-piano, right?)
It's WL4's [86,2] preset with my homebrew music box effect, so technically yes-- the fact that I pitched the whole tune down by 1200 cents made it obvious that it wasn't a music box sound, but oh well. As for it being a toccata or not, I have no idea (obviously). If anyone's willing to offer up a second opinion, for confirmation or otherwise, that'd be rad.

Also, here's another version of the tune I put together in Pro Tools earlier today.

Attachments

• Gabliacci (PT).mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
You should make microgame music from the newer WarioWare games with the first game's soundfont! That would be fenomenal.

Hey tahutoa, when did you get into music and how?
At the end of 2015, and the beginning of 2016, I finally tried Undertale out. That was a phenomenal experience, but anyway, that will become relevant later. Over the course of 2016, I made about 2 or 3 song covers in Mario Paint Composer, and I discovered I really enjoyed it, though because I was stupid I didn't quite realize at the time how much I enjoy doing it. Then, Late 2016 I believe was when I discovered people were making Undertale arrangements of songs from other things for their own little AU's, and I found the concept absolutely fascinating, especially since this phenomenon is responsible for this existing.

Anyway, in Spring of 2017, I can't remember entirely where I got the idea to look into FL from, MAYBE when I found out that's how Dorked was making Inverted Fate's soundtrack, though my memory from this point in time is kind of fuzzy. I just know I ended up getting FL Studio 6 specifically because some tutorial on how to use FL-- which I discovered was made by Radiation after getting to the end, coincidentally-- used that specific version, and because I now knew this was a source I could trust, that was the version I went for, and it's the version I still use.

As for first projects, I know that I eventually got the idea of what The Black Hole theme song would sound like in the style of sans. and so that's what I made. After that I also covered the Overture in the style of Bonetrousle, and then (at the time) I didn't have any other songs from the movie that I could use as references, so I kind of wandered a bit. I ended up doing a shitty arrangement of Telstar (I kept accidentally writing harmonies instead of the melody because at the time I was still really new to doing things by ear and it didn't set off any alarm bells like it would now), and then after that Booster's Tower.

At some point after this I realized what the Grid Lines were actually for, and then my covers actually matched the tempo they claimed to be playing at. Then I did The Blue Wrath, which was when I first started getting good at stuff. More projects ensued, etc., etc., don't really care. Later on I ran out of upload time, so I created tah2toa, and that's when things really started getting serious. Frequent uploads, all sorts of different tunes could be found on there.

You'll also see by scrolling through that profile's tracks, evidence of me doing waarangements more and more often, as I learned how the soundfont ticked (and subsequently got a fuckton better at knowing how to mesh instruments together for an arrangement). I kept getting better and better at it, then I ran out of upload time on tah2toa, so I went back to my first acct.
I deleted all the Pac-Man World 2 anthology tracks, then got back to work. I kept going until I ran out of upload time for realsies, then I got SoundCloud Pro. I went back to uploading, just posting new shit all the time pretty much. I joined up on the Wario Land 4 2 project in Late February/Early March, and was accepted pretty quickly after I used my waarangements and original tunes playlists as my portfolio.
From there, I produced all the tracks heard in the WL4II OST, and as a side effect of working with MarioSpore, I became even better at using the WL4 soundfont because I finally could bring myself to look into the sound effect presets whereas before then my Sperg's debilitating fear of the unknown kept me from doing so.

That's pretty much my entire musician's biography.

The most I do with music is WarioWare DIY and some small tracks I made for my games...
AND EVEN THEN... THEY SUCK
Well, now, don't say that! Link me to them if you can, I'd like to give them a listen!
As far as composing goes, the only advice I can give is to keep at it. Thing is, if I got that advice from someone it'd only aggravate me, because that's what everyone says, but obnoxiously enough, it's totally and completely true, so I have to give it. (If you take a look at my compositions playlist, you can see how I've improved since I first attempted to compose something. That first song was meant to be in Major key but I was too fucking stupid to know how to write down the actual notes I'd heard in my head.) Despite how we humans are programmed to think, it is impossible to find a shortcut when it comes to improving your skills. Not difficult-- impossible. You can have teachers tell you how to do stuff, and you can learn tricks and things to speed up certain processes, but talent has to be created-- you gotta build that raw, crackling neon red pillar of energy yourself. The bits you have to help you accomplish this are just different colored spheres orbiting around the pillar, giving the tides their ebb and flow, contributing to their productivity.

"First, you must generate the idea, usually from memory or experience or activity. Then you have to retain it-- that is, hold it steady in your mind and keep it from disappearing. Then you have to inspect it-- study it and make inferences about it. Finally, you have to be able to transform it-- alter it in some way to suit your higher purposes. Some people are good at some of these but not all four."

This really resonated with me (especially because she talked about the Thomas Jefferson thing right before that, and although it's a bit different from the Dali version that I know, fundamentally it's the same. At some point I want to try the technique myself and see what'll come of it, but ya know how it is. Anyway, I'm good at steps 1, 3, and 4, but not step 2, usually due to negligence/laziness/both. A lot of the ideas I do "retain" via FL Studio are the ones that make it into my Tunes by Tahu... more so than ones I composed whilst awake, anyway (I think. I'll have to look again to be sure).
If you're an artist of some kind who gets inspired bu the ideas that sleep (well, or dozing) brings, which step do YOU suck at?

The reason I did so lies within chapter six of the other book I had to look at for this lesson, wherein Michael Wooten tells some dude to locate this CD on his shelf with his eyes closed. It all comes down to the vibes, you know, but like, for real it does. Keep in mind, I had no idea what I was doing, but I can guarantee you all the mistakes I made starting from the second statement I wasn't 100% sure about the key I was pressing, on a fundamental level, and I'd bet the reason I fucked it up is because I didn't trust my instincts. It's why even now, as I type this, it's really fucking difficulr to NOT look at my fingers and where they are right now (yes I'm truing to do it gain). But yeah here;s that, in its entirety.

"First, you must generate the idea, usually from memory or experience or activity. Then you have to retain it-- that is, hold it sreadu in uiur mind and keep it from disappearinf. Then yiu have to inspect it-- study it and make inferences about it. Finallu, yoi have to be avle to transdorm it-- akter it in some way to suit yoir hifher purposes. Some people are good at some of these but not all four." This really resonated with me (especially because she talked about the Thomas Jefferson thing right before that, and although it's a bit different from the Dali version that I know, fundamentally it's the same. At some point I want to tru the technique myself and see what;kk come of it, but ya know how it is. Anyway, I'm good at steps 1, 2, a3, and 4, but not step 2, usually due to negligence/laziness/both. A lor of the ideas I do "retain" cia FL Studio are the ones that make it into my Tunes by Tahu... more so than ones I composed whilst awake, anyway (I think. I'll have to look again to be sure). If you're an artist of some kind who gets inspired bu the ideas that sleep brings, which step do YOU suck at?

No idea why hitting backspace for the "which" steps part added an A and also didn't fucking work, but anyway, I seem to be getting brtter about the whole typey no lookey thing, though. I've even learnt to feel for the F. I guess this is what tuping on a normal laptop feels like for a blind person, eh? Pretty soon I'll just be making the usual kindof dipshit typos I make by pressing two keys at once like a moron (which never see the light of day if I've got anything to say about it goddammit Ijust looked I hoped I didn't accidentally erase that space bar a moment ago, or miss the O goddammit I looked again I'm just goonna stop now and admite my achievement like a good little pride whore I hope I pressed that one key like I meant to.

I wish I had all the music programs you had, with all the cool instruments, so then I could make my work sound so much better.

I wish I had all the music programs you had, with all the cool instruments, so then I could make my work sound so much better.
Well, I mean, there's always .sf2's. Those make life much easier my friend. I'll give you the ones that in my experience have been most vital for quality of life (y)

Attachments

• Animal Crossing.sf2
    8.4 MB · Views: 194
  • Best Friends Forever.sf2
    3.6 MB · Views: 208
  • BGM_RIVAL.sf2
    234.6 KB · Views: 201
  • BubsyBoi.sf2
    133.6 KB · Views: 183
  • Doom Snes II.sf2
    10.7 MB · Views: 187
  • EarthBound.sf2
    3.8 MB · Views: 213
  • Insaniquarium.sf2
    5.2 MB · Views: 179
  • March of the Minis.sf2
    4.5 MB · Views: 181
  • mega_man_x2.sf2
    343.4 KB · Views: 166
  • wario copy - Copy.sf2
    9.2 MB · Views: 204
I haven't been paying much attention to this thread so I'm asking this as a genuine simple question. Have you actually composed anything yourself yet tahutoa? Whether it be an original composition or an arrangement?

I haven't been paying much attention to this thread so I'm asking this as a genuine simple question. Have you actually composed anything yourself yet tahutoa? Whether it be an original composition or an arrangement?
yes I have. I actually brought it up in this post:
As far as composing goes, the only advice I can give is to keep at it. Thing is, if I got that advice from someone it'd only aggravate me, because that's what everyone says, but obnoxiously enough, it's totally and completely true, so I have to give it. (If you take a look at my compositions playlist, you can see how I've improved since I first attempted to compose something. That first song was meant to be in Major key but I was too fucking stupid to know how to write down the actual notes I'd heard in my head.) Despite how we humans are programmed to think, it is impossible to find a shortcut when it comes to improving your skills. Not difficult-- impossible. You can have teachers tell you how to do stuff, and you can learn tricks and things to speed up certain processes, but talent has to be created-- you gotta build that raw, crackling neon red pillar of energy yourself. The bits you have to help you accomplish this are just different colored spheres orbiting around the pillar, giving the tides their ebb and flow, contributing to their productivity.
I've got some good stuff in there too, if I do say so myself. and I do!

Well, I mean, there's always .sf2's. Those make life much easier my friend. I'll give you the ones that in my experience have been most vital for quality of life (y)
I would really like to use that Wario Land 4 one, but I don't have any programs to use it with. Any recommendations?

Interesting stuff though do you still work with MIDIs?
yessum. If one were to approach w/ a request, I'd need a .mid first, since creating one is really time-consuming. If I didn't care about the source material I'd ask the requester to forward me one (if they could). If not, I'd probably just copy-paste the song name into the Google bar and add MIDI to the end.
I would really like to use that Wario Land 4 one, but I don't have any programs to use it with. Any recommendations?
SynthFont is great for what it is. It's the program with which I created a lot of the mp3's for the WL4II uploads, such as Golden Diva, Room 52, Fury Rock, Uncovered Lake (Indoors and Out), Inventory/Mini-Game Shop, Item Shop, etc.

yessum. If one were to approach w/ a request, I'd need a .mid first, since creating one is really time-consuming. If I didn't care about the source material I'd ask the requester to forward me one (if they could). If not, I'd probably just copy-paste the song name into the Google bar and add MIDI to the end.
Well hopefully you can acquire enough skill to not have to rely on other people's MIDIs as crutches.

Back