Thoughts: "Am I the only one who...?"

Am I the only one who has a secret (not anymore) obsession with game corruptions?

I don't know why but there's something very enjoyable about taking a game, using software to help manipulate the bytes in a ROMs and seeing how an old cartridge based game reacts. I've done this with the Japanese Mega Man 1 ROM and have gotten hilarious results, though I don't have any screenshots on my phone.

For the uninitiated, this is what I would love to do to any type of game and figure out the perfect combinations for the Vinesauce Real Time Corruptor program:

Am I the only one who has a secret (not anymore) obsession with game corruptions?

I don't know why but there's something very enjoyable about taking a game, using software to help manipulate the bytes in a ROMs and seeing how an old cartridge based game reacts. I've done this with the Japanese Mega Man 1 ROM and have gotten hilarious results, though I don't have any screenshots on my phone.

For the uninitiated, this is what I would love to do to any type of game and figure out the perfect combinations for the Vinesauce Real Time Corruptor program:

I keep hoping I can get some interesting results in puzzle games but I mostly just get graphical glitches.

please hook me up with a link to the corrupter. i need more of this in my life XD

I keep hoping I can get some interesting results in puzzle games but I mostly just get graphical glitches.
A lot of games are very hard to get good results with like what YouTube streamers can get. My best results so far have been messing around with Cut Man's stage. Ive been able to glitch out the stage enough to have the layout be slightly different from what MM is actually standing on. I've also been able to mess up the music. Other than that though the game locks up and resets itself quickly because I guess the person who programmed it put a lot of safety features into the code so it's a lot of rewinding and testing.

please hook me up with a link to the corrupter. i need more of this in my life XD
Check your inbox here in a sec. :cool:

While I don't feel this way towards a lot of video game videos, I somewhat feel like this is something better watched than tried since when you try it yourself the results are often not that funny.

Hey I can make something out of this,

Am I the only one who usually ignores most video game commentary videos unless it's a specific subject?(ie. sims modding, bootlegs)

While I don't feel this way towards a lot of video game videos, I somewhat feel like this is something better watched than tried since when you try it yourself the results are often not that funny.
It's definitely something you need to have a lot of experience with to get funny results. I've tried looking for advice on good tips to get good corruptions but no one will share their tidbits.

To your second post that's why I don't really like to watch LPs. I like more informative videos or just commentary that's entertaining and not trying to pander to every single person out there.

Wow, that's an old one. ^^
Yeah, I love corruptions too. Watching them more than making them myself. Music corruptions are the best. xD When the music is just slightly off.
Like here: (14:41)

Am I the only one who thinks the notion that you can't EVER criticize a game IN ANY WAY unless you've played it is bullshit?

Like when people defend Paper Mario: Color Trash with the argument: "Come on! You haven't even played it yet! How can you say you won't like it?"
Even though all evidence points towards it being another game you'd hate.

I don't need to play a game to see that the story, characters and gameplay are utter garbage.
I mean have you seen the latest footage from Color Trash? One "thing" card defeats an entire miniboss in one hit. No skill or strategy needed.
So yeah, in some regards seeing a game being played is just as informative as playing it yourself. Playing Paper Jam won't change the fact that there are no new enemies or characters.

Am I the only one who thinks the notion that you can't EVER criticize a game IN ANY WAY unless you've played it is bullshit?

Like when people defend Paper Mario: Color Trash with the argument: "Come on! You haven't even played it yet! How can you say you won't like it?"
Even though all evidence points towards it being another game you'd hate.

I don't need to play a game to see that the story, characters and gameplay are utter garbage.
I mean have you seen the latest footage from Color Trash? One "thing" card defeats an entire miniboss in one hit. No skill or strategy needed.
So yeah, in some regards seeing a game being played is just as informative as playing it yourself. Playing Paper Jam won't change the fact that there are no new enemies or characters.
Yeah, I mean are people not allowed to have an impression? Isn't that partially what trailers are for? To see if you think you'll actually like the game and consider buying it? Not everyone has money to burn to buy a game just to try it.

Isn't that partially what trailers are for?
That's EXACTLY what trailers are for. To give you an impression what the game is gonne be like. If the game turns out completely different from what the trailer suggested then it's a bad trailer at best and false advertising at worst.
Besides, we've also seen quite a bit of gameplay. And gameplay footage doesn't lie.

That's EXACTLY what trailers are for. To give you an impression what the game is gonne be like. If the game turns out completely different from what the trailer suggested then it's a bad trailer at best and false advertising at worst.
Besides, we've also seen quite a bit of gameplay. And gameplay footage doesn't lie.
Really the only time that argument is really fair is when it's a game with unorthodox gameplay or controls.

Back