Underrated games/series?

Puyo Puyo is pretty underrated in the West, and while I wanna think Puyo Puyo Tetris might change that, I can't really say for sure. Hopefully it'll do at least well enough. It has fun puzzle mechanics, wonderful characters, and honestly, the games are pretty easy to pick up for someone like me who can't read Japanese worth spit.

But as for others...the MDK duology. Especially the second game, but I love both games. Fun little third-person shooters, and I wish more people were into them. Definitely check them out. Nobody seems to talk about these games.

I think the term "underrated" is pretty meaningless and overused, especially in today's world.

I mean, nothing ever really deserves a certain amount of recognition. Most things in history that have gotten recognition don't get recognized purely by merit. It's either pure luck or a combination of factors that allow something to get well known.

With the advent of the internet even the most obscure of things can have their own dedicated followings so I don't see why there is a need to complain that something doesn't get enough recognition.

I mostly agree, though theres still factors that can hold something back.

Like, video games, most people look down on the Wii for being nothing more than shovel ware and kiddy games and like one Mario game. But there were plenty of great games on the console, even including some really cool JRPGs. But they dont get much recognition because they are on the Wii : p

I mean, look up Arc Rise Fantasia and youll find like five whole people who really liked that game, haha. I think its one of the best games Ive ever played, but it wont get much recognition from JRPG fans cuz not square enix and not on Playstation : p

• Agree
Reactions: 607
But as for others...the MDK duology. Especially the second game, but I love both games. Fun little third-person shooters, and I wish more people were into them. Definitely check them out. Nobody seems to talk about these games.

I loved the first MDK but wasn't too crazy about the second. I didn't like the tedious platforming puzzles, the doctor levels and the humour felt a bit forced at times.

The parody comic covers were pretty great though

This character shares a lot in common with Wario, not only they're fat muscular men with moustaches in a hunt for gold, but both characters made playable and antagonic roles:

In college i went crazy emulating SNES games and this was one i played, Its such a charming, fun hidden gem of the SNES. I've never seen any talk of it anywhere and it likely sold horribly.

The arcade one was okay for the time and the SNES one had great ideas but wasn't fun to play, fun to watch though. This one however actually felt like i was playing the show.
Mega Drive Road Runner is best Road Runner.

The first installment in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series isn't very well known compared to the other games, but I consider it to be the best.
upload_2017-7-24_23-16-56.jpeg

I don't understand why Nintendo went on with the controllable Mini Mario idea instead of this amazing puzzle-platformer that is also one of the best GBA games in my opinion.

The first installment in the Mario vs. Donkey Kong series isn't very well known compared to the other games, but I consider it to be the best.
View attachment 4577

I don't understand why Nintendo went on with the controllable Mini Mario idea instead of this amazing puzzle-platformer that is also one of the best GBA games in my opinion.

This. It was like a legit follow-up to DK94, and it was inspired and pretty cool.

the other entries i haven't played, but they seem to stray pretty far from this original game.

Before Namco Museum DS added Game Navigation the best way to play The Tower of Druaga for the longest time was the PC Engine port since it has a hint system for the cryptic ass chests. It even included cutscenes and you get to see a whole lot of Ishtar's byotiful face throughout the game which is a plus. It even adds a level up screen and an equip screen which knocks down the insane difficulty of the original version. The graphics are better and the music IMO is better.

Too bad its Japan only but hey, theres always to english patch.

Mappy is one of the most addictive classic Namco games that is generally overlooked but just kinda acknowledged, But for people who gave it the time of day its usually agreed upon that its an amazing game. Poor Mappy just couldn't stand up to Puck-Man.

I feel like Mario Kart Super Circuit is underrated. Most of the times I read about it, it's either people saying the game was bad, people saying the music was bad, or people saying its Rainbow Road was stupid.
Mario Kart Super Circuit is my favourite Mario Kart, the soundtrack is amazing, it's just a shame all samples had to get compressed by a lot, and its Rainbow Road is the most fun Rainbow Road out there, to me. d:)

I feel like if the game has "Mario" in the title it doesn't really count. Okay I guess its a perspective thing. From the perspective of the Mario series certain Mario games are underrated. From the perspective of gaming as a whole, all Mario games do fairly well. Compare Mario VS Donkey and Codename S.T.E.A.M. and there's no competition.

• Agree
Reactions: 607
Back