Wario Interviews/Development stuff repository

Uh oh? I thought the game did really well and a Switch WarioWare would be a literal dream come true, especially since I finally have one.

The game did decent but not huge numbers in Japan considering its context of release. Its western performance (which doesn't appear to have been great based on the available data points) and how much the decision-makers value it is the big ?

Well I'm sure a lot of that can be attributed to how it was released on the very tail end of the 3DS' life and a Switch release would be a huge hit! I think if anything, Gold shows that people still have interest in the series.

Honestly, doing decent numbers in Japan is probably better than how most late gen 3DS games did.

I mean, it probably did better than the Luigi's Mansion remake, and certainly did better than the second Dillon's Rolling Western game, Ever Oasis, the Mario & Luigi remakes, Metroid Prime Federation Force, etc.

Nintendo finally should confirm the Wario Land VB remake. In july we will be 12 years without a new Wario Land entry. There are so many WarioWare games on modern consoles... it's really time for a new Wario Land adventure. The Wario Land games are very old.

Nintendo finally should confirm the Wario Land VB remake. In july we will be 12 years without a new Wario Land entry. There are so many WarioWare games on modern consoles... it's really time for a new Wario Land adventure. The Wario Land games are very old.

Indeed. Wario Land has been ignored for well over a decade now, and Virtual Boy Wario Land is definitely a game that more people ought to play.
But to be honest, I would be happy with anything Wario Land related right now.

I definitely would love to play VB Wario Land, it looks so great. It's a shame that the Switch doesn't have a traditional Virtual Console meaning that we might not even see any classic Land games on there for a while, if at all.

@TB100 reminded me to run the Nintendo Dream web Q&A through DeepL (some stuff is still exclusive to the yet-untranscripted print version though)

Titles of the character trailers:

A must-see! Character PVs

For the character PVs that are being shown on the official site, we asked them to tell us the "title" of each PV. I'm sure it will help you imagine more concretely.

Mona: "Mona's Seven Changes
Jimi T.: "Afro Night★Fever
Ashley & Red "Magical Halloween
Five Watt & Nine Bolt & Eighteen Bolt "Rhythm Live 5918+13
Kat & Anna "Showdown of the Fates! Diamond Castle
Penny & Dr. Crygore "Wake-up Call
Dribble & Spitz & Aubulon "Until Uchu No Hazama
This character PV shows a different side of the characters than in the game.
There's even a scene that will make you grin if you've played the series so far! Did you find it?

On voice acting:
Q&A with the development staff on voice recording
We asked the development staff to answer questions about the reasons for casting the voices in the game, and episodes during the recording process!

Q. Please tell us how you chose Wario and the other voice actors. Are you aware of the voices used in the past?

A. I used the English voices from the previous games in the series as a reference, and cast them to match the characters' images.

For the Ateen Bolt stage, we asked Plei Kimura, who has experience in rapping, to play Ateen Bolt, and Yui Matsuyama, who is also a singer, to play Thirteen Amp. Thanks to both of them, I think we were able to create a wonderful rap scene.

Q. Do you have any memorable episodes about the voice actors' voice recording?

A. Mr. Kondo, who played the role of Wario, kept adding unique ad-libs, which matched the free-spirited character of Wario perfectly. The staff even had the illusion that Wario was really there.

Q. Did the development staff teach you the Kansai dialect?

A. The voice actors who are in charge of the Kansai-ben characters are all native Kansai speakers, so their intonation is very natural. However, the Hakata dialect of EIGHTEEN BOLT is "nante".

Character Q&A (and a reminder machine translation sitll has a lot of limits)

haracter Q&A with Wario and his friends
In the character PV, you can see various aspects of the characters.
I want to know more about Wario and his friends!
What a surprise! Wario and his friends answered us directly!

Q. In the PV, we can see Ashley in a variety of outfits, but what does she think about the slightly sexy outfit, the mandrake, and the outfit she decided on at the end?

Ashley:.
...Ashley. ...You...you've been watching Ashley's Hensin ......, haven't you? (Angry)

Red.
...Red. Ashley's mad, so I'll answer for her.
I think Ashley wanted to try on different outfits because she's curious as hell. She seemed a little happy when she wore the last outfit, so I think she likes it.
But he gets really mad when I compliment him, so even if it looks good on him, just leave him alone!

Q. How do you plan to spend this winter vacation, Wario-sama?

Wario.
Did you call for me? What do you mean, winter break?
That's a given! I'm going to play "Made in Wario Gorgeous"!
If you know what you're doing, go buy yourself a copy of Made in Wario Gorgeous and play it!
If you already have it, buy another one and give it to a friend to play with!

It's sure to be a fun and hot winter vacation!

Questions and content exclusive to the print version:

In the February issue of Nindori...
Staff comments about each PV! Also, all the illustrations of Mona and Ashley's costume changes are included. In addition, we've included all the illustrations of Mona and Ashley's costume changes.

Q. The overseas version of Wario is voiced by Charles Martenay, who is also known as Mario's voice. Did you have any reaction to the full voice over?
Q. Is Mr. Takashi Takeuchi, who plays Joe, the same Mr. Takeuchi from Nintendo who is in charge of character design? Also, are there any other characters voiced by your staff?

Q. In the game, you can see everyone having a barbecue together, but did they meet through Wario Company? →Answer: Five Watt.
Q.Do any of the Wario family members go to school? If so, what kind of school life do they have? →Answers: Mona, Kat, and Penny
Q. Do Kat and Anna like western food? →Answer: Anna

Q. Do Kat and Anna like western food? We hope you enjoy it as much as we do.

Oh that's interesting:

A. I used the English voices from the previous games in the series as a reference, and cast them to match the characters' images.

Seems those memes about Ashley being younger in Japan can finally die now, since her voice acting in the English version is now basically the basis for it in WarioWare Gold too.

Q.Do any of the Wario family members go to school? If so, what kind of school life do they have? →Answers: Mona, Kat, and Penny
Wait, what about 9-Volt and 18-Volt? We've seen the two go to school countlessly and yet they're never mentioned here? Was their schoollife simply a VR simulation or something? Was 9-Volt's math lesson simply some fake thing he conjured up in his head?
Before someone says something, yes, I'm aware the team likely just forgot about it, but that's still an odd ommission.

Last edited:
Wait, what about 9-Volt and 18-Volt? We've seen the two go to school countlessly and yet they're never mentioned here? Was their schoollife simply a VR simulation or something? Was 9-Volt's math lesson simply some fake thing he conjured up in his head?
Before someone says something, yes, I'm aware the team likely just forgot about it, but that's still an odd ommission. This is a joke.
I didn't realize it at the time but Ashley being obmitted is interesting

Does Ashley just not go to school in the Japanese one?
Is it just me, or do many, and I mean many children and teens in fictional works not attend any form of education? Even if they would definitely be legal to do so in real-life. It's something that I've always wondered about, and it's one of those things that don't make much sense but still occur a lot in media of that target audience, especially video games. Or do they go to school, but it's just never mentioned, just like how in many fictional works no-one ever needs to go to the bathroom unless it's plot-relevant.

Back