What is Wario's age?

Just a Wario Fan

The ίςε cream aficionado
No, seriously, how old is Wario supposed to be? I've always thought Wario to be around 35 to 40 years old.
But in some Mario games it is implied that he is somewhat younger than Mario, who is stated to be 26 years old, though he looks much older to me. But I'm pretty bad at estimating the age of people, both fictional and real-life, so it's probably true. Anyway, how old do you think Wario is (supposed to be?)

Since he's meant to be a twisted counterpart to Mario
Who is possibly around his mid to late twenties, I imagine he's probably in that same range or at least close to it. (Maybe slightly older.)
And like Mario, it's a little easier to see once you remove the mustache

Personally though, I find it very unimportant in the long run
As Wario, like a lot of Mario characters are practically timeless
It's like if they give Mickey Mouse a age or something
It's completely unnecessary in the long run, if you care about that stuff
Then it's there, but otherwise, just ignore it.

Last edited:
I refuse to take any of Miyamoto's statements seriously anymore. The man is always playing with his power, tinkering with stories and history, then changing his tune. He may think his word is gospel, but it means nothing to me.

Absolutely no one in the 80's or 90's gave the implication that Mario was anywhere near 24. Look back on all the Mario media throughout... Did Nintendo hire the aging Captain Lou to play Mario as a 24 year old? Rubbish. Right from the get-go he was shown as a heroic every-man or humble tradesman, no younger than his mid 30's. Is Shiggy trying to pull a Bob the Builder on us and retcon his history?

FSJlezi.jpg

I refuse to take any of Miyamoto's statements seriously anymore. The man is always playing with his power, tinkering with stories and history, then changing his tune. He may think his word is gospel, but it means nothing to me.

Absolutely no one in the 80's or 90's gave the implication that Mario was anywhere near 24. Look back on all the Mario media throughout... Did Nintendo hire the aging Captain Lou to play Mario as a 24 year old? Rubbish. Right from the get-go he was shown as a heroic every-man or humble tradesman, no younger than his mid 30's. Is Shiggy trying to pull a Bob the Builder on us and retcon his history?

FSJlezi.jpg
With all due respect
What exactly did they say about Mario's age back then?
Because I don't think there was much in the way of talk regarding Mario's age back then.
Heck, Super Mario Adventures (A product from the 90s) does sort of imply Mario to be somewhere in his twenties by his comments about the events regarding Mario and Wario's childhood being 20 years before the main story (And just look at how young they look in the flashbacks)
IMG_0161.JPG

IMG_0160.JPG

It's very subtle mind you, but it is there (Sorta?)
And in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros Melee. (A game from 2001)
Mario's bio actually mentions him being 26 years old
ssbm_mario_jp.jpg

So while Mario's age is generally ambiguous, on the very rare times they do bring Mario's age into play, it's usually either subtly implied or sometimes outright stated to be on the twenties spectrum (Mostly in Japanese media though as most western media kept his age ambiguous)

so this is not exactly a new detail or a sudden retconning like let's say the Koopalings not being Bowser's children or Toads not having a gender (Which I will never accept BTW.)

This was moreso a very old and obscure fact about the character that's now just come into light recently after being hidden away from the public eye for a good period, Especially since the actual interview where this came from came from 2005 (Which is almost fifteen years ago.)

Personally, I don't care how old Mario is and i'm actually more shocked at the fact they even have a specific age range for him to begin with. Since I imagine Mario to be this timeless and ageless character ala Mickey Mouse and other classic cartoon characters (Which oftentimes don't have a age.) And that's how I'll continue to see him (No matter what they say regarding his age.)

Though, it doesn't bother me too much really, So I just sort of accepted it and moved on.

My question though is if this holds true today?
Like if someone does interview Miyamoto now, I want the interviewer to actually bring it up and see what he thinks of such a fact now. Especially since he's pretty well known to switch his facts on a whim as time goes by. (Like how he said Mario didn't have a last name in 2012 and then in 2015, suddenly his last name is Mario)

I don't know, it'll be interesting to see what he thinks of such a thing now? (The original interview did come from 2005 after all, which is enough time for him to think of the subject differently now.)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
Ummmmmmm no offense my friend but
When did they say Mario's age back then?
There was absolutely nothing that has implied Mario's age back then aside from assumptions.
Heck, Super Mario Adventures (A product from the 90s) does subtly imply Mario to be somewhere in his twenties by his comments about the events being 20 years before the main story (And just how young they look in the flashback)
View attachment 5503

View attachment 5504
It's very subtle mind you, but it's there (Sort of?)
And in the Japanese version of Super Smash Bros Melee.
Mario's bio mentions him being 26 years old
View attachment 5505
So while Mario's age is generally ambiguous, on the few very rare times they do refer to Mario's Age, it's usually implied or sometimes outright stated to be on the twenties spectrum (Mostly in Japanese media though as most western media kept his age ambiguous)

so this is not exactly a new detail or a sudden retcon like let's say the Koopalings not being Bowser's children or Toads not having a gender (Which I will never accept BTW.)

This was moreso a very old and obscure fact about the character that's now just come into light recently after being hidden away from public eye for a good period, Especially since the actual interview in this came from itself came from 2005 (Which is almost fifteen years ago)

Personally, I don't care how old Mario is and i'm admittedly kind of shocked that they even have a specific age range for him to begin with. Since I imagine Mario to be this timeless and ageless character ala Mickey Mouse and other classic cartoon characters (Which oftentimes don't have a age.) And that's how I'll personally see it till I die. (No matter what they say regarding his age.)

Though, it doesn't bother me too much really (Like I said, I never imagined Mario having a specific age.) so I just sort of accepted it and moved on.

My question though is if this holds true today? (The interview did come from 2005 after all, which is enough time for him to think differently now.)
Like if someone does interview Miyamoto now, I want the interviewer to actually bring it up and
see what he thinks of such a fact now, since he's pretty well known to switch his facts on a whim as time goes by. (Like how he said Mario didn't have a last name in 2012 and then in 2015, suddenly his last name is Mario)

I don't know, it'll be interesting to see what he thinks of such a thing now?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I guess the assumption back in the 80s or 90s was that jobs like carpenters and plumbers weren't jobs you'd usually associate with twenty something year olds.

You're right, I didn't think that through last night. Sorry, folks, but the very notion that Mario is some fresh-faced college grad is pretty absurd to me, considering all the officially-licensed media produced over the years (especially commercials, films, and TV shows). What are we supposed to believe?!

The best way to approach this matter is to look at how Japan portrayed Wario differently in years past.
Younger characters have always been more hip in Japan, too (compared with homely middle-aged plumbers), and Nintendo seem to be shedding their old western media portrayals, perhaps to make Mario more relatable for the modern/younger generation (Charles Martinet's high-pitched voice definitely aids this mission).

Regardless of what Miyamoto/Nintendo say, this is the Mario the world originally fell in love with; a homely, portly, lovable lug who brings out the best in the common man.

26889ec0dd04339a00b0e7ef11433c0b.jpg

mario-comparison.png

2D9855217-today-danny-wells-131205-tease.jpg

Last edited:
I believe that wario is in his late 20s early 30s. Like 28-34 maybe. I think 26 is kinda reasonable but still a little too young and around 40 is a bit too old. It is sort of hard to decipher his age due to different information being thrown everywhere at anytime.

Back