What was everyone's first reaction to Wario in Brawl?

TB100

What you see is what you get, just a guy...

I think all of us know this trailer as it was the debut of Super Smash Bros Brawl, (And was the introduction trailer for Snake, Pit and of course, Wario). but I'm curious, I know i've seen a lot of reactions to Snake and what not, but I don't know how people reacted to Wario back then, so I want to know, what was your initial reaction to his Smash debut at the time?

Last edited:
Neat, Wario is in Super Smash Bros and he has his bike from WarioWare.

Wonder what his moveset will be?

Aw damn it!

profile_picture_by_risitas_peur-da7roqs.png

Shocked and dissapointed.

I can still remember my thoughts.
My thoughts in order.
1. About time. Wario should have been in Melee.
2. Why is he wearing his WarioWare outfit?
3. Why does he have a fart attack?

"Is that Wario? Dude that is Wario... No that's not... WAT, WHY!?!? This isn't what i wante-well it is but, jus-no, just no. Damn." -T3WB-Senpai-2006
That's exactly what i said when the trailer came out. I'll never forget the dissapointment.

It's been a while, but I do remember being very happy when Wario came up and finding the Ware elements to be a pleasent surprise.

The fart just had me confused more then anything else, at that point there was no way to tell that Smash would hype up farting as the only thing that Wario has ever done, so I assumed it was just a joke and left it at that.

Boy was I wrong.

Excited, yet indifferent. And when someone said his fart was "just like the games," my mind had a hard time remembering when he ever had such an ability. I even wondered if I missed it or if it was something I simply forgot about

Looks like I'm not alone, thank goodness, because now I know I wasn't thinking crazy back in 2007/2008. Meaning whoever said that was an idiot.

I see wasted potential there. Such a shame, such a shame.

Super Smash never caught my attention, but when I watched it first, I was like: "neat, but I'm looking foward to the new Mario Kart." It was like that until a friend shared her copy because I bought my Wii recently and since then Wario has become one of my mains. Has anyone noticed they used some of the Wario Land 4 voice clips?

One more I would like to point out, is that this was the last game where Wario was acting like a bad guy:

And the darkest:

Last edited:
Since I was a young kid when I saw brawl (Subspace) Wario, I didn't like him. I found him way too mean and cruel, but I love that now. I do hate his character trailer now since he's a big fart joke looking at it now, I do remember laughing with my cousins when it first came out though. So I really have mixed feelings that I can't describe, all I know is I love subspace Wario.

Since I was a young kid when I saw brawl (Subspace) Wario, I didn't like him. I found him way too mean and cruel, but I love that now. I do hate his character trailer now since he's a big fart joke looking at it now, I do remember laughing with my cousins when it first came out though. So I really have mixed feelings that I can't describe, all I know is I love subspace Wario.
I agree with literally this entire paragraph-- too much for me to leave a mere Green Check Mark.

Not to just echo everyone in here, but yeah, I was super excited and then caught off guard by the bike/waft in the trailer.
My reaction kinda went like this:
:shokorabounce:S^o^:SBlank::SHuh::SWorried:

Wario's inclusion in the Smash Bros series remains my biggest disappointment in all of video game history, and it all started with that trailer.

This comes from someone who spent all the years since the original N64 game dreaming up wonderful ways to include the character and his world.
It was an excellent opportunity to show off his rich, unique and overlooked history that stands alone and overshadowed by Nintendo's other series.

Last edited:
Back