When will the new ideal 2D Metroid come?

Getting away from the zero suit talk. While I would like a new metroid game of any kind and while I did quite enjoy Metroid II, I usually would prefer a new game always. I think Metroid II's biggest weakness is its linearity since it just makes it so easy compared to most of the other metroid games.

For an early Game Boy game, Metroid II was very ambitious, especially considering it was the second Metroid game ever made. Plenty of well-hidden paths, and it introduced many trademark mechanics to the series. You're definitely right about the linearity, but it still wasn't a dead linear game (area 3 was a huge labyrinth of four unique branches, and you had to travel down to area four before going back to explore area 3 completely).

For an early Game Boy game, Metroid II was very ambitious, especially considering it was the second Metroid game ever made. Plenty of well-hidden paths, and it introduced many trademark mechanics to the series. You're definitely right about the linearity, but it still wasn't a dead linear game (area 3 was a huge labyrinth of four unique branches, and you had to travel down to area four before going back to explore area 3 completely).
No doubt about all that. I'm kind of just saying that I don't think Metroid II is as good of a base game for a remake as the original Metroid was without making it too different. Still, making it too different wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

We can have some of the bosses from Fusion and Zero Mission. Also we can't really have metroids again since Samus wiped them out, although it was never said if she destroyed all the metroids from Tallon IV, but those weren't a threat since those are very weak and small compared to SR3-88 where metroids could breed and evolve.

I would think that having this much focus on story is partly what makes it hard to come up with another entry in the series.

No doubt about all that. I'm kind of just saying that I don't think Metroid II is as good of a base game for a remake as the original Metroid was without making it too different. Still, making it too different wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.
There's a really good Metroid II fan remake that actually got Nintendo's attention and you guys can download the game. It plays like Fusion/Zero Mission with some Super Metroid elements.

There's a really good Metroid II fan remake that actually got Nintendo's attention and you guys can download the game. It plays like Fusion/Zero Mission with some Super Metroid elements.

I never actually liked that "AM2R" remake. I completely commend the designer's skills, he has real talent! But I don't think his remake captures the style or aesthetics of Metroid II/SR388. Metroid II had its own special flavour of loneliness and atmosphere, which lent a survival horror style when you were lost in Metroid territory with low health and missiles. That could really be embellished to create a chilling thriller of a game. I'd prefer a grand return to SR388 in that style, not a Super Metroid-style remake.

But if they were to make a 2D game in the series, what team would it be?

A team without Sakamoto's.... 'guidance', please. Somebody else from the glory days of R&D1, if any of them are still available/alive/working at Nintendo.

I lost my love for Samus as a character after too much was revealed (the whole Adam Malkovich scenario). She lost that haunting mystique she had in the old days.
I idolised her when I was a kid, because she was just like Clint Eastwood's bounty hunter characters, only female. The intrigue was lost on me after Metroid Fusion's story.

I don't like it either how Nintendo still clings to the idea of having a certain person stick with a certain franchise all the time. It's just one of the things holding them back.

I'm sure many of those R&D1 people are still there. They just have...other projects to attend to these days. That, or some of them have either retired or moved around due to the 2004 restructure.

Also, Admiral Dane > Adam Malkovich

Last edited:
Sakamoto needs to learn that he cannot have total control over everything, Toru Iwatani didn't throw a fit when Pac-Man was made a family man as opposed to a childlike innocence-like character as he originally visioned after all.

Game Companies give some people too much power just because they created the series or were involved with the creation IMO.

Sakamoto needs to learn that he cannot have total control over everything, Toru Iwatani didn't throw a fit when Pac-Man was made a family man as opposed to a childlike innocence-like character as he originally visioned after all.

Game Companies give some people too much power just because they created the series or were involved with the creation IMO.

Agreed. In the case of Metroid, Sakamoto was only involved with the creation, he certainly didn't create Metroid himself. In fact, after finishing Kid Icarus, Sakamoto was placed on the team after it had already begun development, if I recall correctly. I also read that one of the reasons he didn't work on Metroid II is because he had no confidence the series would succeed. Of course, that all changed with Super Metroid.

Perhaps we can hope to see RetroStudios take up another Metroid game in the near future, they've always seem to pick up a struggling series as recently they were working on the DKCR series which had positive reviews. Even if Retro wouldn't be making it this time around I don't see why Nintendo couldn't give another developer as it happened with Other M, though this game had some significant problems mostly just the story and how it made Samus into a character that had to obey orders and rely on others even though it's never happened in the past.

Speaking of Fusion thought the more storytelling aspect was done well, well much better than in Other M. It gave insight to how Samus viewed and worked with the galactic federation and for what purpose were the metroids needed. Especially when the X bacteria came into the picture and started reviving dead enemies through out the game.

It'd atleast be interesting to see if they make a chronological sequel to Fusion as we're still left in the dark after the fight with the Omega Metroid when the SA-X came to well fight it off and help you too.

They should also get Anthony Higgs more involved if they're going to use him again in any form. He certainly had something going for him.

Perhaps we can hope to see RetroStudios take up another Metroid game in the near future, they've always seem to pick up a struggling series as recently they were working on the DKCR series which had positive reviews. Even if Retro wouldn't be making it this time around I don't see why Nintendo couldn't give another developer as it happened with Other M, though this game had some significant problems mostly just the story and how it made Samus into a character that had to obey orders and rely on others even though it's never happened in the past.
You think that given their prior experience with making Metroid and 2D platforming in DKC, Retro could try their hand at a 2D Metroid?

Also, what are the odds of Anthony Higgs being a potential P2? (Pffffft)

Back