When will the new ideal 2D Metroid come?

I'm kind of looking at it as a reimagining of Metroid II than a true remake. Aside from the different Metroid forms it doesn't look a thing like the original.

@Angler of Lake Asparagus Let's goooo over here before we overtake the VB Wario Land thread.

I'm really hoping that what we've seen so far is just the way it's being presented since usually the more action-y aspects are easier to get people excited over. However, the fact that they're playing the title theme music from the first Metroid game and seemingly nothing from Metroid II really worries me.

@Angler of Lake Asparagus Let's goooo over here before we overtake the VB Wario Land thread.

I'm really hoping that what we've seen so far is just the way it's being presented since usually the more action-y aspects are easier to get people excited over. However, the fact that they're playing the title theme music from the first Metroid game and seemingly nothing from Metroid II really worries me.

Every chunk of footage I've viewed (so far) has either typical Metroid/Super Metroid themes, or that distinct Metroid Prime sound. I even heard the overused Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns theme in a lava area, which really gets my goat. I know I'm in the minority, but Metroid II was one of the most influential games of my boyhood. No other Metroid game felt the same to me. The soundtrack was genuinely weird, unsettling, and alien. Not a typical sci-fi orchestra.

Seeing as Sakamoto is chief supervisor, I would have thought he'd be more respectful/faithful to the original, considering he had absolutely nothing to do with it.

Last edited:
I'm just really hopefully the next game doesn't have the most forgettable soundtrack in the world like Federation Force.

QXqJg8C.jpg

yoshio sakamoto redeemed?

QXqJg8C.jpg

yoshio sakamoto redeemed?

Depends how far Sakamoto stuck his fingers in this pie. Was he honour-bound to not tamper with it, despite being Samus' self-appointed "father figure"? (even though Samus was created and designed by Makoto Kano and Wario's Hiroji Kiyotake). The fact Sakamoto had no involvement in Metroid II makes me think of that old Japanese tradition of not tampering with your former-colleagues' old works.

Here's a whopper I recently discussed with my little bro... will "AM2R" be a surprise unlockable, now that they've apparently recruited the famed indie developer?
It would put Nintendo head-over-heels in positive fan reaction.

9aa5bdeda95ddc77f4483850c4dc49c61e34fb3f_hq.jpg

The Europeans are in for a treat with their "Legacy Edition" of the game. I particularly like that "SteelBook" case thing modeled after the original GB cartridge.

@Glowsquid That's great news. Hopefully he capitalises on that desolate, raw, natural structure he tried to convey in the original, with winding tunnels and sandy burrows. It never shied away from having empty caverns and dead ends, which felt realistic in structure and very anti-video game. Always appreciated how much they emphasised the lifeforms growing scarcer in Metroid territory as you go deeper (hell, there's only 2-3 enemies in the entire Omega region).

metroid-samus-returns-legacy-edition.jpg

Last edited:
Fuck, even on Amazon it's 100 bucks... >-<
I... I can't spend that.... can I? o-o

Huh... Well, it is the first classic-style Metroid game since 2004, which is pretty damn special (even if it's a shameless modernised remake... Bah!)
On the other hand, "a fool and his money are soon parted". Are you more a classic Metroid fan than a tight-fisted money grubber?

Last edited:
The Europeans are in for a treat with their "Legacy Edition" of the game. I particularly like that "SteelBook" case thing modeled after the original GB cartridge.

Is it only Europeans? It would be nice to get something like this. Kind of miss the time where each region had these special editions with the entire soundtrack and such. With Blazblue each region came with a special edition with no cost and it included character designs, the soundtrack, and all that. Kind of feels weird to dish out a lot of money for something that used to come free of charge. Well It seems this game has garnered a lot more attention either way, here's hoping Metroid Prime 4 will deliver as well, I'm more interested to see after these two games if they'll do something with the story line for Fusion as it's chronologically the last bit so far. Samus fusion suit also returns in this remake of Metroid ii so uh seems like the creators really dig Fusion, I remember in Metroid Prime if you beat it or Fusion you had the option to connect the GC with your GBA(having Fusion inserted) and you could use the Fusion suit in Metroid Prime of course just cosmetics but I thought it was a neat thing to have.

It's so weird that you have to play with the stick. Can't I just play classic and ignore the 360° aiming? The new music and remixes are really good, but I don't understand why the boss defeated is ripped straight out of Prime 2. It looks nice tho I'm still not really that big into 2.5D lookin' style and is gonna miss the sprite artwork.

Well, happy days. The one side-scroller that didn't involve Metroid's answer to Bowser now gets the full treatment; because what would a Metroid game be without the Riddler? And if shoehorning that mongrel in wasn't enough, they're giving him three phases, supposedly...

I'd like to keep an open mind, but do me a favour! Why can't they utilise the existing creatures from Metroid II and get creative? Enlarge, mutate, have 'em stalk Samus...

m2_13.jpg

m2_14.jpg

m2_15.jpg

m2_16.jpg

Last edited:
Back