Your favorite "little things" in the Wario Land series

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
Wario Land as well know is a great series with great gameplay and level design among other things. What are your favorite lesser things from the series? There have a couple threads dedicated to a couple of these sorts of things but I think a broader thread could be better. Personally, I like some of the more exaggerated Wario animations in the early games. I like Wario's sad animation in the first Land and the big thumbs up he gives at the end of levels in Wario Land 2. What do you guys like?

Wario actually being drunk rather than dizzy in the uncut WL2. I actually got an english patch to the japanesse rom for that.
In the beginning and end cutscenes of wario land the shake dimension, i love how they did the dialogue using grunts, mumbles and, jibberish and having subtitles. i wish the game had more cutscenes like this, being an otaku those scenes hit kinda close to home to.
Finally i like how when you pause in WLSML3 the things that are animated but don't move are still animated, like the background of the train levels in parsley woods, or the munchers at the end of parsley woods and beginning of syrup castle (a lot cooler looking than the traditional mario ones from earlier parts of the game)

The boats very slowly moving across the background in Wario Land Shake It's 'Mount Bighill' and 'Bamboozle Village' levels:

See about 1:07

Lots of very little animation like that in Shake It (and often, layers of very subtle parallax too). Love that attention to detail.

Also, the random characters standing in the windows in the haunted house levels are great too. Got to love the mummy crow and zombie just goofily standing around in the windows in the background!

The various details in one room only foregrounds and backgrounds. As I said before, the fact the first two rooms in 40 Below Fridge have a huge tileset with about five different animated features and lots of neat little details is incredible. They put more effort into that than most devs put into an entire world's graphics.

And the various extra ways you can hurt bosses in Wario Land 1 are neat too. Like how (as shown in ProtonJon's LP), you could throw a 10 coin item at the boxing penguin to knock its helmet off if you were small Wario. That's... an incredibly well thought out set up for a simple boss. I mean, you've got the normal dash attack that can make it vulnerable. But then you've got both that coin trick and the exit door in case you can't do a dash attack for some reason. Talk about being prepared!

Finally, you can't forget about the sound room in Wario Land 4. Really, coming up with 16 new songs just for a random joke sound test? That's insane. How often do you even get a sound test which doesn't play the main level music?

I definitely have to say the sound effects in Wario Land 4. I'm not talking about the music. The sounds. It really just adds a whole other layer to that fantastic game. The sound effects are just as strange as everything else in the game yet I never hear anyone talking about them.

I love the loud "OOOWWW!" the old man makes when you attack him. Or the pumped up sound when you charge up to throw something. Makes every action Wario makes seems more powerful and intense. You know it REALLY hurts when Wario attacks!

Oh yeah, here's one. How the music changes depending on the situation. Love how it speeds up when you're rolling, and slows down when you're fat, etc. That sort of dynamic music is in a lot of games now, but Wario Land 4 did that especially well years ago.

I really love abusing Arewo Shitain-hakase, his screams of agony as you throw him across the map is funny.

The sound of collecting coins is so satisfying! I love the jump section of Course 40 just because of that *cling cling cling* sound everywhere!

I also like how Wario has an animation when idle in most games:
In Wario Land SML3, Wario lowers his arms. Nice touch, nothing much, though.
In Wario Land 2, nothing happens. *sad face*
In WL3, Wario starts to sleep, and that is way too hillarious to not be noticed! xD
In WL4, Wario can rope jump and lift weights, to keep his muscular appearance! One of them can be seen before the boss fights.
In Wario Land Shake It, I don't remember what happens, but I don't think anything happens at all.
And finally, in Wario World, Wario scratches his butt or stretches and yawns. It's quite funny, but don't let him do that too many times in a row, or it'll get really nerve racking!!

In Wario Land 2, nothing happens. *sad face*
StarSad.png

I'm pretty sure he sneezes and shivers in the snow levels.
Wario has quite a bunch of idle animations in Shake It!
Like ShyGuyXXL said, he shivers in the cold, he sweats and breathes heavily in the heat (volcano level), and in normal environments he does 3 things randomly:
- Raise his arms saying "Come on!"
- Laugh like an old sailor (followed with a quiet "thbbbbt!")
- Mumble: "Come on come on pick it up and play...."

Wario has quite a bunch of idle animations in Shake It!
Like ShyGuyXXL said, he shivers in the cold, he sweats and breathes heavily in the heat (volcano level), and in normal environments he does 3 things randomly:
- Raise his arms saying "Come on!"
- Laugh like an old sailor (followed with a quiet "thbbbbt!")
- Mumble: "Come on come on pick it up and play...."

Oh yeah! I forgot about those! I love the "Come on pick it up and play..." one! I heard it once and I was like "What? are you talking to me?!"
Hahah, so awesome!

I actually played Land 4 again recently and I gotta say that I really like the subtle hints foreshadowing the Golden Diva, not just the treasure chests, but also how you can see her face during the intro when Wario falls down the pit.

The game in general is a gem when it comes to subtle and silent storytelling, but I want to give that little aspect extra attention since I have seen people accuse the Golden Diva of coming out of nowhere, when in actuallity the game sets up her presence very early on when you realize that you have seen that face before, it's just not very on the nose with it,

Back