Your favorite "little things" in the Wario Land series

One "little thing" I JUST realized is that the sprite of the Music Box world -> :musicbox: actually changes at the end of the game.
The boudler at the top of the volcano disappears from the sprite, just like it did during the game.

Here's a comparison:
musicbox-comparison.gif

There's also a mistake where one color changes, turning half of sea turtle rocks and part of the outer rim blue.

Edit: Wait, this might just be a problem on my end.... I'm not sure...

Last edited:
Speaking of this sprite, it's really interesting how they made it. If you're familiar with 8-bit sprites you'd know that one sub-tile can't have more than 4 colors (3 if you don't count transparency). But this seems to have more than that in some places, right?

Well actually it's made up of 2 layers:

Music Box analysis.png

They match up like this:

musicbox-comparison.gif

I think this is really cool. They squeezed every bit of detail out of the gameboy that they could.
This also explains why the rotating music box when the credits play is in sepia tone. ^^
It would be impossible to make that color while also making it look as good.

Last edited:
I like the treasure choices in WL4 such as a GBA and Teddy Bear.
Its like the value comes from Shokora's memories not the actual monetary value (despite em being golden, but its Wario so hey). It also explains why Princess Shokora gets older the more treasures you recover. You are recovering her memories which dictates her form as a human because you recover her experiences up until that point.
Also in the beginning of the game the newspaper predicts shokora as a young adult while the true ending shows her as a mature adult. Maybe as a young adult that was the last accounting of her before the golden diva placed a curse on her (I don't know i just felt like clearing up that "may or may not intended by the developers" plot hole)

I like the treasure choices in WL4 such as a GBA and Teddy Bear.
Its like the value comes from Shokora's memories not the actual monetary value (despite em being golden, but its Wario so hey). It also explains why Princess Shokora gets older the more treasures you recover. You are recovering her memories which dictates her form as a human because you recover her experiences up until that point.
Also in the beginning of the game the newspaper predicts shokora as a young adult while the true ending shows her as a mature adult. Maybe as a young adult that was the last accounting of her before the golden diva placed a curse on her (I don't know i just felt like clearing up that "may or may not intended by the developers" plot hole)
This is way too sweet and I love every bit of it ♥

I think her adult form is called "True" Shokora for that might have been a reward reserved only for the players that go outta their way to beat the Golden Diva in time, they might have wanted to keep it a surprise. The developers were way too subtle in hinting Shokora was with Wario all along since the beginning of the adventure, so... wouldn't put it past them to have a reason they just didn't explain. Cuz it wasn't necesary. Look at this thing you wrote right here, bro. Goes to show it works fuckin wonders <3333333

...Just to add to it, the ending. Wario and Shokora sharing a laugh, Shokora thanking Wario and going to finally get some rest, then Wario thinking back to all the memories he's made himself in regards to the treasure and choosing to go for a cheap steak meal... ahhh maaan i dunno it drives the point home, not to mention it's the last numbered Wario Land... it feels like an amazing conclusion to his character and adventure if we wanna track down a development, and that really packages the whole experience, it's too heartwarming.

in wario land 4 I like the face the angry spear fish makes when you hit it

edit: it's called a goggley blade which I was not expecting

I mentioned it long ago in the Land 1 Appreciation thread, but I do think it’s worth bringing up again that I really love how Land 1 represents the differences between Mario and Wario in gameplay alone.

Mario in SML1 & 2 is as you would expect hm to be very nimble and quick on his feet, in exchange he is very fragile, even in powered up state anything can hurt him, on top of that he has only a very limited amount of options for attacks, so he hast o rely on agility and power ups to survive.

Wario on the other hand is slow and imposing, he can’t run and doesn’t take advantage of momentum when he jumps. However instead of those things Wario can only hardly be hurt, a Wanderin‘ Goom has no chance to do anything to him, every enemy in the game has to rely on some sort of weapon or even elements like lightning to bring him down, on top of that Wario has a multitude of ways to bring the pain, be it his charge, putting an enemy into a corner or throwing them around.

The commercials for Land 1 made a big deal out of the idea that you ‘‘can be the villain this time‘‘ and that’s really the big thing, where as Mario ist the traditional plattforming character Wario feels like a boss being made into a playable character, someone who is supposed to be the big tough challenge and not easy to bring down and absolutely outdoes any mook, only this time you get to control him and I think that’s really neat.

I love how every Wario game has a soundtrack that has both music that makes you feel like a burly badass alongside music that's just plain pleasant/calm/nostalgic/sweet/etc. The visuals, especially in Wario Land 4, have lots of room for silliness and personality. Every Wario game I've ever played has never failed to make me smile and laugh a bit.

I've thought at one point that, in the Wario Land games, the Universe is trying to tell Wario something. It's like he visits these gorgeous places and goes on grand adventures with soft, silent music in floating castles while saving people. It's like the world is trying to tell Wario to slow down a bit, and that the journey's the thing that counts. Of course, Wario never, ever, ever really listens, but I think he's capable of good more than he realizes. Just look at the ending for WL4! So much personality in such overlooked games.

I also love the owl music from Wario Land 3.

I mentioned it long ago in the Land 1 Appreciation thread, but I do think it’s worth bringing up again that I really love how Land 1 represents the differences between Mario and Wario in gameplay alone.

Mario in SML1 & 2 is as you would expect hm to be very nimble and quick on his feet, in exchange he is very fragile, even in powered up state anything can hurt him, on top of that he has only a very limited amount of options for attacks, so he hast o rely on agility and power ups to survive.

Wario on the other hand is slow and imposing, he can’t run and doesn’t take advantage of momentum when he jumps. However instead of those things Wario can only hardly be hurt, a Wanderin‘ Goom has no chance to do anything to him, every enemy in the game has to rely on some sort of weapon or even elements like lightning to bring him down, on top of that Wario has a multitude of ways to bring the pain, be it his charge, putting an enemy into a corner or throwing them around.

The commercials for Land 1 made a big deal out of the idea that you ‘‘can be the villain this time‘‘ and that’s really the big thing, where as Mario ist the traditional plattforming character Wario feels like a boss being made into a playable character, someone who is supposed to be the big tough challenge and not easy to bring down and absolutely outdoes any mook, only this time you get to control him and I think that’s really neat.

Long ago I read an article involving Nintendo R&D1 members, and at one point they mentioned Gunpei Yokoi and other members preparing for the transition from Mario Land to Wario Land, which was a big deal for the studio. And what you say is bang on! The original Wario Land was putting emphasis on playing as a big bad boss character. You are playing the villain, who has just been kicked out of Mario's castle in the previous game, and now you have to hit the road to make your own fortune.

Taking over Mario's castle wasn't enough, so he went and took over his series, which is a really rotten thing to do. And it's such a brilliant concept! You were playing the hero in the last two games, and now that he succeeded, the story leaves him and begins to follow the very villain you were fighting. I used to think the thumbs up Wario gives you at the very end of Mario Land 2 was a hint on things to come...

55e228f082d0a081a8e46bae039bd9a2.jpg

Last edited:
I've Played WL1 for a day and I've gotten to Course 5 so far. What I really like the most is that for a GameBoy game, it's really spiffy and feels much more modern.
I like Wario's sprites. They're super hilarious!
The graphics in general are outstanding! They are really well-detailed for a Gameboy game, and so charming and funny, yet fitting Wario's character at the same time.

Back