Appreciation and Discussion Thread for the Ware characters (outside of Ashley)

On a different note, I have been thinking for a while now how I have really grown to appreciate Brawl's Wario series content a lot more, ever since Smash 4 gave us a mostly lackluster offering in that regard. But nowadays it really strikes me as amazing how diverse it's presentation of the cast was:

-Wario is obviously playable, has two outfits (when everyone else only had one) and the most trophys and stickers out of any character in his series (anything else would make no sense).
-Jimmy has an appearence in the taunt microgame of the WarioWare Inc, stage.
-Kat & Ana are Assist Trophy characters, whixh means they even get 3D models.
-The themes of Mona (well Mona Pizza anyway),Mike and Ashley have remixes in both english and japanese.
-All the main characters appear as stickers, with 9-Volt and Mona getting 2, instead of just one.

Granted Smash 4 had some acknowledgement for most of the cast, but most things after that outside of The Best Plus and the Badge Arcade (and even then they still felt the need to make a backhanded comment against the non-gothic loly characters) not so much, it's particulary curious since we are actually getting more WarioWare related content (not counting new games) then usual now and yet even Wario himself tends to be a no show for some of it, not even a passing reference.

So yeah, anyone else really amazed at that in hindsight?

And for the record this is NOT meant to be a jab against Ashley, while I have strong negative feelings towards the character nowadays (thanks to a certain mentality that revolves around her) I still wouldn't like it if someone else was in her place, I'm more critical towards the way Nintendo is handling this, rather then what character happens to benefit from it.

While his moveset in Brawl is something that I don't especially like (I mean, I like playing as Wario and all, but it doesn't feel like Wario should), WarioWare's representation in that game is pretty fantastic. The stage is a great WarioWare stage, its characters make a variety of appearances (most of them as stickers and trophies, but as you said, a few manage to appear in-game), and Wario's costumes were a great addition. Also, Wario-Man is a thing. Brawl was pretty good about representing WarioWare (Wario Land, however, got a single move and one sticker, which is still more than I can say about Smash 4).

After Smash 4 I have a hard time to curse about Wario's representation in Brwal, there was at least SOME attempt to represent Land, via the Charge, Tiny Wario/Wario World Logo sticker Game Boy color scheme and the few things that were kept in 4, such as the victory theme and swing ding, WarioWare on the other hand got great representation, not just with the character appearences I mentioned above, but the decent amount of content in general (and thats all I will say about this, before this becomes even more OT).

Last edited:
I guess Brawl is tolerable in hindsight due to how now Nintendo is all but focusing on Ashley more than is necessary. Even if it's small things. I mean I still get that the Badge Arcade stuff isn't much but with all of these Ashley-only things piling up more and more and Wario and the rest of the Ware cast getting nothing it gets frustrating and disheartening.

I guess Brawl is tolerable in hindsight due to how now Nintendo is all but focusing on Ashley more than is necessary. Even if it's small things. I mean I still get that the Badge Arcade stuff isn't much but with all of these Ashley-only things piling up more and more and Wario and the rest of the Ware cast getting nothing it gets frustrating and disheartening.

We've been through this, BigMagma. Don't be jelly of Ashley, Ashley's just doing her own thing. Don't get mad at her, besides, Nintendo knows she's popular, wouldn't you try and capitalize somebody's popularity to make more money?

Last edited:
I should probably make a proper post in this thread. I mainly enjoyed the WarioWare games for the gameplay and its wackiness and not so much its characters. That being said I do have some favorites.

I like Kat & Ana,Dr. Crygor, 9-Volt, and Orbulon. I find Kat & Ana cute and funny, Dr. Crygor I also find funny,and I like 9-Volt for representing Nintendo's history and I like his microgames. I also like Orbulon's microgames usually.

This may come as a shock to some but there was a time when I actually quite liked Ashley. When Sm4sh came out I joked with some friends about wanting to see more of this. Though the outcome is obviously different. At the time I didn't see Ashley as overshadowing the series since it's not like she outright replaced Kat & Ana as WarioWare reps and this was before the 3DS stuff and being aware of her "cult". A lot of stuff has happened since then which you can see on the forums.

You could say I liked Ashley in the past but as an underdog favorite that was treated the same as the other characters and not the overexposed and overpushed character(in relation to the rest of the cast) she is now.
Edit: I will speak as I please, Kyon.

I don't see the harm of Ashley getting some recognition. Sure, she got her own Club Nintendo Reward, her song was chosen to be the 2nd in the Warioware 3ds stage, only ware character to get a remixed song in Smash 4( I think.) more new artwork every 2 - 3 months, Mario Maker custom, Assist Trophy, mii outfit, 3ds theme(s) among others.

No harm done, just extra Ashley stuff to get.

I made this sound like I'm bragging. Point is, why? why would this all be a bad thing to some of you? shouldn't we be grateful a ware character is getting this much recognition?

Last edited:
You keep bringing up this point but I refuse to comment on it any further. This thread is mostly not to discuss Ashley so take it elsewhere.

Why were we talking about Ashley here? lol. I only brought her up because you brought up Ashley and for some reason I thought this was another thread because you were talking about Ashley so I assumed it was anywhere but this thread.

I'd also like to point out that popularity on it's own isn't even an excuse either, given that 9-Volt is by far the most popular Ware character in the west (and one of the more popular Ware characters in japan) :
http://warioforums.com/index.php?threads/whos-actually-the-most-popular-warioware-character.1202/
So it's not like she is the only well liked character to come out of the series and there is absolutely no reason why his popularity ( and most people that have ever played a Ware game will tell you that he is well liked and his stages are beloved) shouldn't be aknowledged as well.

The thing is that ultimatly there isn't anything in the Ware series itself that justifies to put one character over the other (other then the big Wa himself for obvious reasons), they all serve the same purpose and ''popularity'' only does so much, who is to say that stuff revolving around the non-Ashley characters wouldn't do well or be well recieved, there certainly wasn't an outcry when Kat & Ana were the Wario Assist Trophy in Brawl instead of Ashley.

"By far the favorite of her series" - Nintendo

Either Nintendo or you guys are thinking wrong.
Until someone who actually has an authority over the WarioWare series states this, rather then it just being a stock advertising sentence in an app, it's nothing more then a shallow quote and even if someone DOES say it that doesn't automaticly make it true.

Stop, Kyon.

Anyway, yeah I get that popularity isn't everything. I just preferred when the characters had more equal footing and none were treated superior or anything to others. If any characters were to be picked over others it was because it made sense. Kat & Ana as assist trophies made sense. Ashley as a halloween theme still made sense. Ashley as a christmas theme doesn't aside from just do it because people like her. Though I would like to make it clear that this is mainly towards Nintendo and not the character itself. There are also... other factors that are making me resentful that I won't bring up but most people can probably figure out. I'm going to stop since since I've said more about this than I wanted to.

In other news a user on Tumblr posted the Mega Party Game$ profiles for the cast, which is actually the first time that I have ever seen them in english (instead of german).

Anyway, I figured I'd share them here, because why not.

Wario
2mgtwmp.jpg

Mona
26243d3.jpg

Jimmy
4ghog7.jpg

Dr Crygor
16aecfl.jpg

9-Volt
2hxa5wi.jpg

Orbulon
2rng2g4.jpg

Kat
xduhqr.jpg

Ana
52gnzr.jpg

Dribble
28k3sif.jpg

Spitz
2u89hr4.jpg

Nothing huge, but I always found them neat, Mega Party Game$ was generally a really nice game for anyone who likes the characters, on top of being a really fun multiplayer game of course.

Last edited:
Back