[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Oh, and Drenn? It would be really nice if when you open a new window (like when editing tiles) if it appeared in the middle of the screen instead of the top left corner. The way I'm working I have to drag them around every time.
Is that possible to change?

Oh, and Drenn? It would be really nice if when you open a new window (like when editing tiles) if it appeared in the middle of the screen instead of the top left corner. The way I'm working I have to drag them around every time.
Seriously? You've got a problem with that? Well, I guess I may just be used to it now since it happens to me all the time, and honestly, I just full-screen the window anyway.

Reactions: 607
Seriously? You've got a problem with that? Well, I guess I may just be used to it now since it happens to me all the time, and honestly, I just full-screen the window anyway.
It's not a huge problem but it is a bit annoying with my setup.

Drenn, can you add an option to copy and paste subtiles? Every time I want to make a variation on an existing tile I have to manually copy it pixel by pixel and it would save a lot of time to have that option.

I've made a new release for the editor, v0.4.1. Download
Code:
v0.4.1: October 17th, 2014

- Graphics editor can import and export graphics
- A metadata file is created to go with the rom (keeps tracks of moved 
graphics, and maybe other things in the future)
- All files in the "ref" folder have been reformatted; please don't use old 
files.
- Bugfixes
The only real new thing is the ability to export graphics. That wasn't the hard part though, the hard part was being able to relocate sprite graphics while keeping track of every single pointer to them! I even had to hard-code pointers for 3 enemies, the Spearhead, Hammer-bot, and Doughnuteer - because they're used in the credits. Anyway, it all works, I hope. =P

Also, it creates a metadata file with the extension ".mtd". It's not very important for now, but as time goes on I might put more important information in there. Currently all it does is keep track of moved sprite graphics. It's helpful for the editor to know where all this data is.

I also think some kind of miscellaneous graphics editor is called for, so that things like wario's sprites and musical coins can edited.
I got a video of the door to title screen: Just for fun.

How did you do that? Set the sector destination to a place without a region?

Drenn, here are some thing we'd really like to edit:
-the background inside the temple. (For a possible story)
-the sprites of the intro (or at least their palettes. I wanna make Wario's plane purple or something to imply he had to buy a new one. ^^)
-Wario's sprites (for example during the ending when he gives the peace sign to the player before leaving with his treasure, I want to make it into a W-sign like he does on the cover.)
-tile animations (like the water or background stuff)
-probably more that I can't remember right now.

Is there a good way to do any of that?

When I edit palettes this first comes up:
View attachment 169
This isn't the GBC's color palette, is it? It feels like there are a lot of colors missing.
If not, is there a way we could get a palette with only the colors that were possible on the GBC?
That would be great.

I've noticed some stuff missing in the tile editor.
Some tile effects don't seem to have labels. Like the horizontal pipe in the vast plain that turns you visible again is just "480C".
And in another level a block had 49DF as an effect. I think it was one that was solid for Wario but empty for enemies.

It would be really nice if you could (while editing objects) press the right mouse button on a tile without an object to select the X for removing objects. That would be very convenient although not that important.
2 - Animations would indeed be nice to edit, that would need its own interface. Everything else, could go into some kind of miscellaneous graphics editor...
3 - There should be other tabs in the color selector to give you more precise control. It's a built-in java thing...
4 - Indeed, the list isn't complete. It's kind of low-priority at the moment, but I don't have to be the one to fill in the blanks. "tileEffects.txt" is safe to edit.
5 - Shouldn't be a problem.

I'm not really sure how to control that, but it does annoy me too... =P
Drenn, can you add an option to copy and paste subtiles? Every time I want to make a variation on an existing tile I have to manually copy it pixel by pixel and it would save a lot of time to have that option.
With the new update you can export the graphics for editing in more specialized software. :)

Actually though, that wasn't even necessary in the case of subtiles, because they're uncompressed. Even with version 0.4 you could have opened the rom in YY-CHR, and navigated to the address provided by the editor at the bottom of the tile editor.

That actually sounds more elaborate than just doing it in the subtile editor xD
There are a bajillion tile editors out there which are way better than the built-in editor. I'm not going to bother fleshing out the tile editor. =P
When I edit palettes this first comes up:
View attachment 169
This isn't the GBC's color palette, is it? It feels like there are a lot of colors missing.
If not, is there a way we could get a palette with only the colors that were possible on the GBC?
That would be great.
I may have misunderstood the question. That's just java's default set of palettes it gives you, for whatever reason. The gameboy takes palettes in a 16-bit format - 5 bits for red, green, and blue values. It wouldn't make sense to list them all. The editor multiplies these values by 8 so that it almost fills up the range 8 bits would take. So, the strongest "red" value is 248.

In case you're wondering, yes - the GBC had much better palettes than the NES :)

There are a bajillion tile editors out there which are way better than the built-in editor. I'm not going to bother fleshing out the tile editor. =P
Which one would you recommend?

I may have misunderstood the question. That's just java's default set of palettes it gives you, for whatever reason. The gameboy takes palettes in a 16-bit format - 5 bits for red, green, and blue values. It wouldn't make sense to list them all. The editor multiplies these values by 8 so that it almost fills up the range 8 bits would take. So, the strongest "red" value is 248.
Uhhhhhhh.......
I still don't know how to get the colors tho. xD

Which one would you recommend?

Uhhhhhhh.......
I still don't know how to get the colors tho. xD
Graphics editing isn't really my "thing", but from what I've tried so far, YY-CHR seems nice.

After opening the exported file in YY-CHR, set "Graphic format" to "2BPP GB". And if you're editing sprites, set "Pattern" to "FC/NES x16".

I don't understand the problem with palettes though? Is there not a tab saying "RGB" when you open the palette editor?

Graphics editing isn't really my "thing", but from what I've tried so far, YY-CHR seems nice.

After opening the exported file in YY-CHR, set "Graphic format" to "2BPP GB". And if you're editing sprites, set "Pattern" to "FC/NES x16".

I don't understand the problem with palettes though? Is there not a tab saying "RGB" when you open the palette editor?
Wait... can I just use any color, no matter if it's part of the GBC's palette or not?

It looks like this. xD
yychr.png

Make sure that YYCHR.ENG is in the same folder as the executable, I guess.

BTW, name the exported palette file the same as the main binary file you exported, with the extension ".pal" so you can edit it with the correct palettes. Though, you have to click on "PAL" in order to view the palettes properly. IDK what "PAL SET" is supposed to do, so it's kind of annoying that it's set by default. =P

Back