[DEAD] Wario Land 3 Hack Project

Hah! I CAN edit the background here. :D
That means we can do my story if we want. ^^
HAH.PNG

It also looks like Wario's sprites, keys, chests, and musical coin graphics are all uncompressed, which means there's no special need to add support for them in the editor. Wario's all over the place, but the keys and stuff are at c000. So unless you want palette editing or something, you can do what you want with those sprites.

Remember to set the pattern to "FC/NES x16" since they're sprites.

Edit: ah, but there seems to be a copy of the musical coin sprite around d5000, and by the looks of things it's compressed. It's probably used on status screens or something...

Last edited:
Ohhh.... Daaaaannngit!
I just found out that the music coins are using a lot of mirrored tiles... which means I can't put in the big Wario face! D:
I can only put something into the small circle of the coin. So nothing that's bigger than the note. :C

Ohhh.... Daaaaannngit!
I just found out that the music coins are using a lot of mirrored tiles... which means I can't put in the big Wario face! D:
I can only put something into the small circle of the coin. So nothing that's bigger than the note. :C
Ahh, that sucks, I really liked that sprite :(

Even if we could edit the animation somehow, it doesn't seem like there's enough room in vram for the extra tiles that would be needed... there only seems to be 1 unused tile... and the numbers are actually placeholders for the treasure sprites. :(

Ugh... I'd have to cram Wario in there if we still wanted to have him on the coin... wouldn't look good. :C

Edit: Not even the head of his map screen sprite fits in there very well. It just looks stupid.

Drenn:
Nice to see a new version of the editor :)

ShyGuy:
I really liked your Big Wario Coin... The small one is decent, but not the same... Now I'm disapointed in Nintendo RD1 for saving memory on the coin tiles like that...
Nice to see Temple and Wario editing :)
Also, I recommend you use YY-CHR-NET, you can download it here.

It'd be a shame for the big wario coin to go to waste... I made an attempt to get rid of the duplication of the tiles so you can edit it as you please. You'll find "wl3-coinpatch.ips" in the google drive folder.

What was changed was:
- Parts of the chest opening animation were replaced with new tiles for the coin.
- The coin's animation data was changed to use these new tiles.
- An unmodified copy of the sprite graphics was added to the rom, including the graphics for the chest animation.
- ASM code was added to reload the original graphics when a chest is being opened, so that its animation doesn't get ruined.

As far as I know, this only applies to the musical coins in-game. On the status screens, it seems to load the graphics from somewhere else.

I hope it works okay. Something I've noticed is that if a music coin is near a chest, you'll see graphical garbage for a split second before it disappears. It's not a big deal, but if this ends up being used, maybe we shouldn't put music coins too close to chests. =P

Edit: Bwah, it only works for grey chests! Gotta fix that =(

Last edited:
Wow, Drenn! You've been busy, I see! :o
I saw you mentioning something about the enemy sprites in the ending. Does that mean they are indeed right? Then I don't need to test that anymore. Because I was afraid that when we would change the sprites there was a chance they wouldn't change in the ending in the right way.

Wow, Drenn! You've been busy, I see! :o
I saw you mentioning something about the enemy sprites in the ending. Does that mean they are indeed right? Then I don't need to test that anymore. Because I was afraid that when we would change the sprites there was a chance they wouldn't change in the ending in the right way.
I'll take any excuse to screw around with a gameboy game. =P

The credits do indeed read the same enemy graphics data as in-game. However, the data is compressed, which means sometimes the editor needs to move it around. When that happens, I also need to update the the credits code which accesses it. I'd forgotten about it at first, and the enemies turned out to be rectangular blobs. =P But it should be safe now.

I think I've fixed the patch now, should be working for all chests...

Reactions: 607
Lessons at university got canceled, I went all the way to uni for nothing...

But on the bright side, I'm home now, and have a lot of free time, hopefully I can use it to do R&A :)

Drenn, I haven't tested it yet, but I'm impressed by your effort :)
We gave you a lot of motivation, haven't we? :p

607, Drenn, what are you guys talking about credits using enemy data? I don't get it.
Do you mean the red, yellow and green colors or something?

Lessons at university got canceled, I went all the way to uni for nothing...

But on the bright side, I'm home now, and have a lot of free time, hopefully I can use it to do R&A :)

Drenn, I haven't tested it yet, but I'm impressed by your effort :)
We gave you a lot of motivation, haven't we? :p

607, Drenn, what are you guys talking about credits using enemy data? I don't get it.
Do you mean the red, yellow and green colors or something?
There's a little cutscene where the enemies turn to human form, we were just talking about how changes to enemy graphics will apply to that cutscene also.

Ow!!! NEW VERSION OF THE EDITOR! YAAAAAAAAAY! Uhhhh.... Fan mode disengaged?

Ok, so...
ShyGuyXXL: I can't wait to see your wonderful sprites, and I'll see if I can change the Spearheads in my 1-1 to Goomba's, because that seems fun.
Drenn: if you want, you can add my Object List to your editor download file, if anyone else wishes to play around with it.

I FINALLY REMEMBER what I wanted to ask Drenn:
Would it be possible to import music from Pokemon Red, Blue or Yellow?

Last edited:
Back