For Convenience, these Wario Games are also Cameo Titles...

CM30

Diamond City Mayor
Diamond City Leader
Namely Wario's Woods, Mario and Wario and Wario Blast Featuring Bomberman. This is because for the most part, they have absolutely nothing to do with anything else in the Wario series and are arguably closer to cameo games than 'actual' main series titles.

Here are some pictures of them in case you've forgotten what they are:

WariosWoods.jpg

WarioBlast.jpg

ENTIRE_warioMario_box.JPG

Hope people understand this decision.

What group does Super Mario Land 2 fall under? It's not really a "crossover" since it's Wario's origin game and it existed before Wario had a series of his own to "cross over" from. But it's not really a Wario Land game either, though it's the precursor to the Wario Land series.

That would be a Mario game with Wario debuting as a final boss. Super Mario Land 3 would just be a Wario game, but with "Super Mario Land 3" in the title to push sales, I think...

Also want to bring up Mario's Super Picross for the SNES, released only in Japan. Levels featuring Wario did not offer hints and so were much harder than Mario's levels. I'm not sure to what extent Wario plays a role, being that this is a puzzle game. Also, there was a special Wario Land II edition of Picross NP aka Picross NP Vol. 7 (NP = Nintendo Power. A service that existed only in Japan allowing you to download games to a specially designed Super Famicom memory cassette.) that featured puzzles based on that game. I'm a big Picross fan and so I hope to one day be able to play some of these! :cool:

• Informative
Reactions: 607
Isnt Dr Mario 64 also a cameo game or a crossover?
If you want to get accurate. A cameo is just a breif appearance of a character in a game who doesn't really play much of a role in it. If the character plays an important role in the game than it's not a "cameo" it's a "cross-over".

For example: Roysten appearing in Grabbed by the Ghoulies is a cameo.
Wario appearing in Super Mario 64 is a crossover.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cameo_appearance
www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fictional_crossover

You may think this is just semantics but it's not. A crossover often implies a shared universe while a cameo does not.

www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_universe

Last edited:
If you want to get accurate. A cameo is just a breif appearance of a character in a game who doesn't really play much of a role in it. If the character plays an important role in the game than it's not a "cameo" it's a "cross-over".

You may think this is just semantics but it's not. A crossover often implies a shared universe while a cameo does not.

So, all games listed by CM30 are, by definition, crossovers, and not cameos, correct?

I'd consider them more closer to crossovers since Wario has more significance in these than say his appearance in that Stafy game.

Actually, his appearence in Stafy may almost be a crossover, he has quite an active role. Though, I'd agree it's a cameo appearence, he doesn't add anything to the game, I don't think.

I always considered Wario's Woods and Wario Blast titles you can place in the Wario family tree. Wario is the face of both games, the star villain, and they are named specifically with him in mind. They also don't involve the Mario Bros, Bowser etc. so they can't be called "Mario" games.

The whole focus and backstory of Wario Blast was you play as Wario, the invading villain. Bomberman's role is treated as an optional alternative and wasn't even mentioned in the game's story or promotions. With a title like "WARIO BLAST: Featuring Bomberman", Wario is making damn sure he's the star of the show. First he invaded the Mario Land series with Wario Land, then he randomly turned Bomberman GB into Wario Blast the same year. He was quite the productive crook in 1994.

Guess you must really hate DK Vine calling all its similar titles 'cameo' games, right?

Back