General Wario references thread (Now with Index on page 13).

I have been planning to make an index for everything we have amassed so far for a while now, just to see how much it really is. I aplogize that some of it is a bit sloppy and there are no page indicators, but I'm feeling rather shitty for reasons I don't want to get into so my ethusiasm just sort of died at one point, but hey at least it's something:

VB MarioLand;
Wario was meant to appear in this cancelled game. P6

Super Mario 64 DS :
Wario is playable and seems to be doing the Shoulder Charge on the cover, some of his animations and the way he throws things are clearly inspired by Wario World and the Wild Swing Ding can be done in VS mode. P4,6

New Super Mario Bros U/Mii :
The third player Mii has Wario's outfit. P5,6

Super Mario Maker:
Both Wario and Ashley are Mystery Suit characters, All of Wario's jingles and SFX are from the first Wario Land (note that the videos aren't up anymore, likely due to broken embargos). P10,11,12

Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga:
Wario was meant to make a guest appearence in this game, a poster based on the first Wario Ware's japanese cover can still be found. P1,4

Paper Mario The Thousand Year Door:
A badge that changes the colors of Mario's outfit to Wario's can be bought. P2

Mario Kart 64 :
Sherbet Land is a racetrack and the old Wario title fond is used for his name in Wario Stadium.
P3,6

Mario Kart Double Dash!! :
Wario's car is his vehicle of choice in this game, Birdo and Toad are also shown together in the ending screen, which brings Wario's Woods to mind. P2,3,6

Mario Kart Arcade GP 2 :
Wario's car is back and there are tracks that take place in Diamond City with some interesting details. P3,11

Mario Kart DS :
The ''Brute'' is clearly based of the Wario car. P3

Mario Kart Wii:
Wario's Bike is a vehicle for heavyweights in this game. P1,4

Mario Kart 7:
Wario's Shipyard is clearly one big homage to the first Wario Land, complete with a Bull Wario cameo and remixes of songs from the game. P1,4

Mario Kart Arcade GP DX :
Wario's special item in this game is a boxing glove contraption, similar to the one he uses as Genius Wario in Master of Disguise. P8
Mario Kart 8 :
The Badwagon might be based of the Wario car and the Wario Wing has the typical Ware series Wario logo on it. P4

Mario Party 2:
Wario Land is mentioned by name and Mystery Land gives Wario his hard hat back. P1,3

Mario Party e:
One minigame features Wario in his car in a very Land 4esque desert area, along with some familiar looking sprites. P3,14

Mario Party 4:
Wario's present diorama is a castle which brings Land 2 to mind and it also has a early appearence of the Wario Bike. P5

Mario Party 6:
Wario does the Shoulder Charge on the cover/title screen. P1

Mario Party 8 :
Two of the candy transformations are a lot like Vampir and Bouncy Wario. P4

Mario Party Island Tour:
One minigame features microgames and there is also a greed is good reference. P4

Mario Party 10 :
The Wario amiibo Party board has a ton of references and there are also potential nods to the colored bombs from Wario's Woods and the Bulldog's original design. P6,7

Mario Tennis 64 :
Wario's court is clearly based of Wario Land 3, particulary the Desert Ruins level and there is also remix of ther game's main theme. P3

Mario Tennis GBC :
The Land 3 theme plays on the Warehouse court and the Bulldog can be seen in the backround of it. P3,11

Mario Power Tennis:
Wario's Factory is based of Ware and has a remix of World's hub world theme, the Land 3 theme plays during Wario's trophy celebration. P1,3

Mario Tennis Open:
The Land 3 theme is remixed once more. P3

Mario Golf 64 :
One of Wario's alternate color shemes is based of his Game Boy palette. P1

Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour:
One post hole animation has a potential Flat Wario Reference and another one has him strike a pose similar to the one in Land 4 when beating an already previously beaten level, also Bobo's nam occasionally appears on the scoreboard. P2,4

Mario Golf World Tour:
Wario charges to the tee and his breaking animation is based of the one in Shake It. P3,5

Mario Superstar Baseball:
Wario's Palace is one big tribute to Pecan Sands, most of Wario's team logos feature the Ware Bomb in some fashion and he and Toad have bad chemistry much like in Woods. P1,2,3,7

Mario Super Sluggers:
Wario City looks similar to Diamond City and hasWario in a very Snappedesque outfit, also the a neon sign with the Ware Bomb can be seen in the night version of the field. P3,4

Mario Strikers Charged:
Wario's Deke is the Ground Pound and his Mega Strike and Special Ability might have an origin in World and Smooth Moves respectivly. P5

Mario Sports Mix:
Wario has two variations of the Shoulder Charge, the Ground Pound and the Ware Bomb, with a slightly different design. P3,5

Mario & Sonic 2012 3DS :
Wario uses the Earthquake Punch in one cutscene. P6

Mario & Sonic Sochi 2014 :
Wario does the Shoulder Charge for certain disciplines on the character select and his chackle animation from Master of Disguise is seemingly replicated. P1,7

Dr Mario 64 :
Many characters from Land 3 and Puffy Wario reappear here. P3,4

Mario's Picross 2 :
Wario has his hard hat. P1

Mario's Super Picross:
All of Wario's forms from Land 1 appear as puzzles. P8

Picross NP Vol.7:
The game has a set of Land 2 based puzzles. P11

Game & Watch Gallery 2-4:
Several Land series characters appear throught 2-4, also 2's ''Helmet'' game features the Shoulder Charge and the credits the Bulldog. P3,6,12

DDR Mario Mix:
There is a remix of the Greenhorn Forest theme to be found here. P1

Wrecking Crew 98:
Foreman Spike's redesign is very Warioesque. P4

Fortune Street:
Wario mentions the Black Jewel WarioWare and Rudy at certain points in the game and a G sacj is on the cover. P5,9

Face to Mario:
Wario was in this tech demo. P6

Luigi's Mansion :
The ranking system that gives you a better home depending on your loot from Land 1 reappears here and there is also a heart key similar to the ones from VB Wario Land. P4

Yoshi's Whooly World:
There is a Biker Wario based costume as a amiibo bonus. P8

Diddy Kong Pilot:
Wario along with the Bulldog was in an early build of this cancelled game. P6

Donkey Konga:
Wario cameos on the slot machine. P5

Donkey Konga 3 :
Mona's Pizza theme is featured here. P1

Donkey Kong Country Returns:
The plane hopping mechanic from VB Wario Land is borrowed here and there is a familiar looking enemy. P4

Smash Bros Series:
Possible origins for Wario's moveset and certain details/animations. P3,4,5,7,11,16
Smash Wii U's Gamer stage. P6
Piictochat 2. P2
All of Brawl's Wario content and his victory theme. P3,5
M&W Bucket Trophy and Wario's description in Melee. P3
Potential Woods reference. 9P

Rythm Heaven Series:
Rythm Ware course in the best + and Ashley cameo. P8
Several other details. P5,8,16

Others.
M&W Bucket in Kirby Superstar and Wario cameo in the DS remake. P3,6
Wario appears in Starfy 3, there are several Wario themed costume parts and a remix of the Land 3 theme. P1,6,7
Wario Cameo in Pilotwings 64. P2
Ashley's theme is in Daigosso Band Brothers, Band Brothers (DX) and Band Brothers P. P2,9,11
Wario Tamagotchi, in some N64 Tamagotchi game. P6
Wario Hat in Animal Crossing New Leaf. P5
Mario & Wario reference in Bowser's Inside Story. P3
Wario outfit in Nintendo Land. P5
Wario Land 2 content in GBC tech demo. P6
Ashley cleaning cloths as a Club Nintendo reward. P3
W(V)ario cameo in South Park. P1
Wario World in Nintendo Monopoly. P7
Wario's name appears in Super Punch-Out. P14
Brain Age has a Wario's Woodsesque minigame. P14
Badge Arcade Content. P15
There is a Wario themed co-op baby in The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth-. P14

Last edited:
Ashley's theme is in both Daigosso Band Brothers (DX) and Band Brothers P.

It's also in the first band brothers. they released a pdf partition of the song to promote the game, in fact.

(Funny this is your 666th post...)

I just saw that I never mentioned it before, but the Bulldog in it's Mario Tennis (GBC) cameo uses it's Land 3 design:
Bulldogbp9.png

WarehouseCourt.jpg

It makes sense given that the court uses the Land 3 theme song, but it's still a detail worth pointing out since the thing has several different designs.

It turns out that the Diamond City race tracks have more stuff in them that I didn't list back on page 3, namely:

A Wario Worldesque Gold statue appears on the logo for the Wario Cup:
20150909_134123-1.jpg

20150909_134228-1.jpg

Wario here is clearly based of this artwork from World:
Wario3.jpg

Also the button with the W on it comes from World's manual and is also a sticker in Brawl.

20150909_134259-1.jpg

If my eyes don't decieve me then this is the guitar logo from Club Sugar:
Club_Sugar_screenshot_WarioWare_Touched.png

20150909_134339-1.jpg

Yep, this is Dribble & Spitz's Taxi place:
WWMM_DiamondTaxi.PNG

If anyone else wants to look and see if there is more here is the video I was watching:

Last edited:
It turns out that the Diamond City race tracks have more stuff in them that I didn't list back on page 3, namely:

View attachment 764

View attachment 765
Wario3.jpg

Also the button with the W on it comes from World's manual and is also a sticker in Brawl.

View attachment 766

View attachment 767
WWMM_DiamondTaxi.PNG

If anyone else wants to look and see if there is more here is the video I was watching:

Why do you take pictures instead of screenshots?

Why do you take pictures instead of screenshots?
Because one of the buttons I need in order to make screenshots is broken (my Laptop is five years old after all) and even on my phone trying to make a screenshot of a video (I never played Mario Kart Arcade for obvious reasons) would just give me a black screen.

Because one of the buttons I need in order to make screenshots is broken (my Laptop is five years old after all) and even on my phone trying to make a screenshot of a video (I never played Mario Kart Arcade for obvious reasons) would just give me a black screen.
You could use a snipping tool. Windows 7 has one included with it.

You could use a snipping tool. Windows 7 has one included with it.
Now that you mention it I do have one of those, mind you outside of rare cases I usually take pics directly from my TV, since I can just snap whatever I need, without having to scour for a screenshot or video that has what I'm looking for, so I probably won't use this very much, but thanks for the advice anyway.

View attachment 764

View attachment 765
Wario3.jpg

View attachment 766

View attachment 767
WWMM_DiamondTaxi.PNG

This is the only full Warioware related track, who directed the game?

Back