How open are you about your real life self online?

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
For the longest time, it was common for people to be shrouded in mystery on the internet to some degree. Nowadays, it's more common to see real names on places like Youtube than userames. So, what kind of person are you? I'm one of the traditionalists in that I mostly maintain an online persona that is completely distinct from my real life. I have things like Facebook and LinkedIn that are strictly for real life purposes, while say, my Steam and Skype are for my online friends. I am willing to talk about myself but not so much talk about who I am. That being said, I would be willing to diverge some more details about my real life self to some really close online friends.

So what about you guys? Are you more down with just being "yourself" everywhere or are you more of the old school guys online.

I'm pretty reserved about my identity when it comes to posting online.

Why?

Well, take one look at some of the recent things that haven't to people who made their entire life story public. We've seen them say one wrong thing and have their entire career destroyed and life made a living hell. We've seen people get 'swatted' and have their lives put at risk. Making your identity public just creates a ticking time bomb that will explode the minute you say something remotely controversial.

So I'm not putting much information out there. I'd rather not having the social media mob with their torches and pitchforks making life hell the minute I say something even remotely 'questionable'. And I'd honestly say a lot more people should do the same. Privacy is something to cherish and protect, not give away like it's worthless.

Over the years I've gotten a bit more comfortable over the net. If mostly it's due to how many people seem to be ok openly revealing certain things especially on other forums and chats I am in. Of course it's ok to reveal only so much and for the most parts how I look or how anybody looks irl doesn't matter to me as long as they're fun to talk too and are nice.

I don't use my real name on the forums, as I'm not used to it. I also don't want other people to call me by my real name publicly, though, so I guess there are other reasons for not wanting to go by my legal name online.
I do not at all mind people I know IRL calling me 607, though, although people usually don't.
I don't mind sharing other personal information online. I'm living in Heerenveen, I'm 17 years old, and I've uploaded a picture of myself to the social thread before.

I think I'm pretty reserved to the general public. However, I've become somewhat open to some people in this community and around two or three people know quite a bit about myself and my life. Things such as my age and gender I don't mind anyone here knowing, but things such as my real name and voice and other things requires a good amount of trust and being a close enough friend.

I'm extremely optimistic. There was a time when I would share very personal details online (especially back in 2007), but the internet has jaded my trust. I've seen the amount of scrutiny a person can gain in a heartbeat, and how much damage one warped detail or comment can do to a career.

If I've spoken to someone for long enough, than sure, I'm willing to divulge. Some of the members here would fit that bill. However there are some things in my life that are just too personal and sacred for me to reveal.

Uhhhh it all depends with me. Sometimes I feel way too nervous to share any info with anyone online, even close friends. Then the next day Ill publically announce to an entire website which state and city I live in.

I dunno, it all depends on how I feel I guess : p For the most part, if I really feel like youre a friend, Ill share pretty much anything with you : p BUT, if the other person isnt willing to share anything about themselves, its much less likely Ill share anything at all : p Friends share secrets and junk, you gotta share too : p

I never share my full name or anything like that. Unless like Im really close to a person, and they are willing to share theirs with me. I /usually/ dont mind sharing my face, though. Maybe Ill do it here one day. But like no one else here is willing to so why should I? Haha : p
Sharing my voice is a bit harder, cuz I have a weird sounding voice : p CMV says its really nasally. I might do it soon, though.

For this website, there are many members Id be willing to share more with, if we talked outside the site. There are a few people here I think are way cool, and that Id like to be friends with. Ive made friends with a few others as well : p They are way awesome and some of the best people Ive met online.
I really like this site : p It has a really cool community.

I guess it's not too surprising to see people here follow the usual internet dynamic since forums are rather old fashioned. The change towards people being online under their real life name and such is something I started to notice on Youtube when Google forced people to have Google Plus accounts and push Google Plus as a rival to Facebook.

Depending on the community, I will have different things to say and even different posting styles. So some places I may be more open than others. Honestly I'd be more likely to discuss personal stuff if it's relevant to an interesting conversation.

Because at the end of the day that's what I'm here to do on any Discussion Forums, to discuss things. Not make friends.

I'd never rant about my personal stuff online, because I'd rather seek support from, and build trust relationships with those that I personally know. Plus, it just comes off as attention seeking, and it becomes cringy to look at that sort of stuff a week after posting it.

Otherwise, I'm happy to share a little bit about myself if conversations call for it. I do try and keep certain internet content separate from each other, because I'd rather maintain my Facebook as professional and impressionable, and save my forum community postings for loose downtime and nerdy analytics.

But I'm totally up to the chance to meeting up with people in RL, provided that I've taken the time to Skype and get to know you. I've met someone from the MarioWiki community, and we had the best time.

Back