How open are you about your real life self online?

I don't usually like to talk my personal life online, there are things that i'm not afraid to share with people like my interests and stuff (Basically stuff that people you know would generally know about.)
but I don't like delving into my personal life and my problems, after all, I come here to talk about Wario & Nintendo, not to talk about my personal life, and unless there's a thread dedicated to more personal stuff that i'm interested in posting in, or if something really interesting or intense happens, I don't usually go into it that often if hardly at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: 607
but I don't like delving into my personal life and my problems, after all, I come here to talk about Wario & Nintendo, not to talk about my personal life, and unless there's a thread dedicated to more personal stuff, (Which I know do exist.) or if something really interesting or intense happens, I don't usually go into it that often if hardly at all.

Ive never been to a forum that didnt have a "general chit chat" section on it like ever : p
If they didnt have one, thered be like not many reasons to visit a forum. You can only talk about one single topic so much for so long, haha.

I disagree. I've been talking about Nintendo most of my life and will never run out of things to talk about. I find talking about Wario and the greater Marioverse more interesting than hearing about people I am never going to know in real life.

Do you care that I am taking care of my cousin's babies this weekend? Of course not. You don't know me. You don't know my cousin. But you do know Wario.

I disagree. I've been talking about Nintendo most of my life and will never run out of things to talk about. I find talking about Wario and the greater Marioverse more interesting than hearing about people I am never going to know in real life.

Do you care that I am taking care of my cousin's babies this weekend? Of course not. You don't know me. You don't know my cousin. But you do know Wario.

If you wanna be one of those people that just visit a website to post your opinion about some topic while taking no interest in other people in the community, go for it. Youre free to do what you want to do, there.

As much as I admire that as a forum admin, I think you're probably in the minority there. After all, look at every other forum around, and their general chat section is always the most active one.

Or if you need more proof, look at Mario Fan Games Galaxy. The site was basically at death's door (forum wise) when it had no general chat section. Removing it took the site from 'big board' to 'nearly dead'.

You don't need to give out more information about your personal life, sure. But I'd say most people do need somewhere to talk about other things like politics, TV, other games, etc.

I do agree that the purpose of forums aren't to make friends (though of course that can happen) but there does need to be a semblance of community.

I dont see the two as being separate. I mean if you have a community of people who meet daily, youre gonna form friendships. Its what people do.

Its okay if someone really feels the need to be a lone wolf and not make friends, but to be unhappy that others do so in a community is definitely a waste of energy : p People make connections and form relations with each other, and they stick with those they like or feel comfortable with.

I dont go to work to "make friends", but I still have coworkers that I get along with more than others, and I usually prefer to be in their company than others : p

I think you are missing the point. My point is: A person you do not know in real life is not a real friend. A wall of text is nothing compared to human interaction.

As someone who has had a pen-pal in the past, this is not true. After all, what's the difference with an internet forum? Aren't we just a community of "pen-pals" writing from all different parts of the world, even if some of us don't get along?

I'd say I'm pretty open about myself, at least here. Some other places I don't even show my voice or really too much about me. However I used to be REALLY reserve when it came IRL me.

CMV and I spent a year talking to each other online before we met each other IRL. And I can absolutely say that I felt 100% comfortable with him when we finally did meet, like it felt like we were friends who knew each other well, just as it would have been if we had met IRL.

I believe people can form strong bonds even through merely writing each other.

Remember in my old Megaman community I had people who would be ecstatic to meet me in person. One day it did happen, one of my fellow members went on a road trip and asked if he could stay with me. Needless to say it kicked ass he brought Elite Beat Agents and Ace Attorney, we played that and then we ate fried chicken. It was a good and fun week.

Back