obligatory "What vidcons are you playing????" thread

Not too many people playing games, huh? Well as a follow up, I got through the first game and now I'm totally hooked...

Ive been playing this-

dreamcast-1355931087.jpg

And I really like it, I like it more than Resident Evil even.

And I know that RE fans would moan, thinking Id say this about any other survival horror game other than RE just to be hip and like things that people dont know about, but I mean I for real really like this game that much : p Its definitely more for me than RE, for a few reasons.

I like the world design for the game. Its supposed to take place in like 2040 something, but other than the silly costumes it looks like the 90s : p Using computers and technology is a normal part of the game, and every freaking computer operates on like Windows 98, haha. And NPCs often give you floppy disks in order to advance through the story. I love old 80s-90s tech stuff : p
And the world is more colorful too. Where RE takes a more drab approach to their games, this game features many colors. It takes place on a Navy carrier ship for like jets and whatever, and they take use of the lighting in a really good way : p

Heres a few images-

dc-2404-41312857389.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

carrier19.jpg

The game play is a bit more forgiving too. One thing I love about this game, you can target which part of an enemy you want to hit. So like, with standard slow walking baddies you can target the head, making the fighting much more simple and quicker. It usually only takes around 2-3 shots unless you acted too quickly out of stress and accidently aimed for an arm or whatever : p And its easier to find ammo and healing items, which I enjoy more. You use them more often too, as there are often quite a few enemies in certain areas : p The music in the game is great too, it does a great job at making you feel nervous going through a dark hallway : p

Also so far the story is better too, instead of just a biologically engineered virus that makes people into zombies, in Carrier the military has found an ancient organism called "the Ark". Somehow it mutates every living thing around it and makes them a part of it, and it has grown all around the ship : p So the monsters that you fight are either people who have been mutated into all kinds of different creatures, or even like bugs and junk that have been mutated into giant beasts : p Its really neat.

Its a really fun game that Id recommend to anyone with a Dreamcast.

Been playing Dragon Quest VIII Journey of the Cursed King on 3DS, So far its been great, about what i expected after all it IS a port, and yet ithink its better than the PS2 version. I'll probably take around 90 hours to beat if memory serves me correctly, i've got my work cut out for me with this.

@MonaWare as far as early 2000's horror games go, have you heard of/played Extermination on the PS2? I've been looking to get that one.

I have not, but I will definitely look into it : p

I have a PS2 but I almost always neglect it. Mostly because I dont like Playstation controllers and because where like every game store has like 1-4 four foot shelves for games for each consoles, the PS2 sections take up about half the store, and I really dont like having to dig through all those games : p (Ive found that bigger libraries do not make better consoles)
That makes it sound like I hate the PS2 though, and I really dont : p Its just the console I ignore the most, sadly : / I really need to get into PS2 more.

I've been playing Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. I had it as a kid but remembered absolutely nothing about it :b Probably because it's a completely standard, unremarkable platformer. You can definitely tell it's a Sonic Team game-- sometimes you'll just fall to your death just cuz. It isn't bad though. The artstyle is really charming, it reminds me of Wario World and Stretch Panic, and just that era of early 2000s games in general.

Another game I really wanna try. Why is it that every game that catches my interest are always called bland or dull? : p

That's me all over. I remember this particularly arrogant Youtube "reviewer" who said you are wasting your life by playing games that are technically beneath or worse than popular/respected products. So with that mentality, burn all those poor man's knock-offs and obscure flawed titles. Only ever play what is foremost in the public eye.

Last edited:
Another game I really wanna try. Why is it that every game that catches my interest are always called bland or dull? : p

That's me all over. I remember this particularly arrogant Youtube "reviewer" who said you are wasting your life by playing games that are technically beneath or worse than popular/respected products. So with that mentality, burn all those poor man's knock-offs and obscure flawed titles. Only ever play what is foremost in the public eye.

Story of my life. If a game is not a JRPG or wacky platformer with furry woodland creatures frolicking around, it's "generic", "souless" and cannot possibly have interesting mechanics or good ideas

Story of my life. If a game is not a JRPG or wacky platformer with furry woodland creatures frolicking around, it's "generic", "souless" and cannot possibly have interesting mechanics or good ideas

Haha pffft I like JRPGs and furry woodland creature platformers : p
But, I often get that my favorite ones are generic and bad, too. Like my favorite Wii game is Arc Rise Fantasia, you wont find many good reviews on that one : p Same with Aidyn Chronicles for N64.
Skies of Arcadia usually gets good reviews though : p

But, Ive noticed I feel the reverse of what most people do. Like most people in the US seem to think that the Final Fantasy series is like the greatest JRPG series ever, while I find them to be more dull and lifeless than the others : p Its usually the ones by smaller companies that I end up really liking, or at least the ones that are more unique from companies like Namco.

I have also noticed that too many JRPG fans are way too uptight about the genre, and act like theyre the greatest of games ever and everything else is inferior. While I agree the games are fun, I enjoy other kinds of games just as much : p

I have been playing Tales of Berseria and World of Final Fantasy. I had to put the latter down to play Berseria. So far I love it! More like Tales of the underside of things LOL.

While I have been garbage when it comes to keeping up with the most recent seasons I am actually a big South Park fan, rewatched the movie last weekend and got into a conversation about the show with a friend. We ended up talking about the old Acclaim made SP games from back then and how he had read about them, but never saw them in action, so he's coming over in about an hour to play the shooter game, should be good.

I mean the game is garbage, but I always enjoy being the ''tour guide'' for those kind of games and who knows, we might get some dumb fun out of the multiplayer as well, just for how shitty it is, on top of the main game.

Plus:
4iyiig.jpg

It's the only N64 game I own with all bells and whistles and not just the game and maybe the manual, so it is somewhat of a proud piece in my collection in an odd way.

While I have been garbage when it comes to keeping up with the most recent seasons I am actually a big South Park fan, rewatched the movie last weekend and got into a conversation about the show with a friend. We ended up talking about the old Acclaim made SP games from back then and how he had read about them, but never saw them in action, so he's coming over in about an hour to play the shooter game, should be good.

I mean the game is garbage, but I always enjoy being the ''tour guide'' for those kind of games and who knows, we might get some dumb fun out of the multiplayer as well, just for how shitty it is, on top of the main game.

Plus:

It's the only N64 game I own with all bells and whistles and not just the game and maybe the manual, so it is somewhat of a proud piece in my collection in an odd way.

Is that the snowball game?? I REMEMBER THAT!!! I use to play that at my cousins all the time!

Plus:
4iyiig.jpg

I recall you posting a picture of your tv with a Kenny figure by it. Do you still have any of the other junk Acclaim games? And have you looked at the newer game(and it's soon to be released sequel)?

They should just play some shadow of the colossus or twisted metal time to get into some good shit.

Plus:
4iyiig.jpg

Whoa there. The N64 version was not considered shit at the time. The PS1 version was definitely shoddy, but on N64 it was a fun novelty with hilarious multiplayer.
Who could forget the fart gas wars with the Terrance and Phillip dolls, or the iconic master password... "Bobby Bird". A schoolyard legend.
Single player was repetitive, but the story was cool. You can see why Parker and Stone dismissed the game, but lots of kids/teens liked it back then.

South Park Rally was a really fun, madcap kart racer. One of my favourite Acclaim titles. It's easy to mock these now, but they were good N64 games to own back then.

latest

Last edited:
Back