Yeah, its also covered in the video I posted above titled real life wrestling heroes or whatever : p

So today I was thinking about getting WWE day of reckoning for Gamecube, maybe, just to play a wrestling game. Has anyone played it before? Is it any good?

Not too sure, Mona. I own both of Acclaim's Legends of Wrestling games for GameCube (Laugh it up, by all means. I know they aren't respected! Heheh)

I've never tried the gamecube WWE games but they're made by the same developer as the ps2 games which are good so it could be worth it.

Haha, Id also like to hear how Angler got into wrestling, never met an Australian wrestling fan : p

And I dunno, the Nasty Boys had a pretty awful theme in WCW : p

Oh and I got that day of reckoning game btw, its really really good. Feels like a N64 title : p Only one single complaint, not many wrestlers at all to choose from : p But I finally have a wrestling game I can play. (Am totally sure it will collect dust : p Though I heard it has an awesome story mode, and I loved the character I created : p Will see if CMV is willing to email me the pics I took of him)

Oh and I totally plan on making a Helga Pataki wrestler : p And a Sting and DDP cuz it has their move sets and Stings face paint : p

Feel like I've actually played day of reckoning. Never had a wrestling game but one of my friends had one on the N64. The cover had like Rock or Steve Austin can't remember only thing I do is playing as Steve Austin and relentlessly murdering the ref with a bat, the N64 wrestling games have to be some of the best in their entries honestly.

DOR is a gamecube game, actually : p But it did have a ref. I played all the wrestling titles for n64 (literally) growing up, and none of them had a ref : p

And yeah, the n64 is known for having the best wrestling games, yes : p I played them alot with my brothers and our neighbors growing up : p

***A BRIEF HISTORY OF AUSTRALIAN PRO WRESTLING***

Sorry, Magma. I was trying to dig up an old video with Mean Gene Okerlund visiting Australia in the late 80's/early 90's. He was at a wildlife park with a few wrestlers, petting native animals and talking about how welcoming the Aussie fanbase were.

Believe it or not, Australia used to have its own famous wrestling organisation... The WCW (World Championship Wrestling) Heh. No relation to the WCW you're thinking of. It lasted from 1964-1978 (America's WCW began in 1988). Those were the only glory days of Australian pro wrestling. Sadly, there's not much footage left.

I wish I'd been around to see it. It was the only local wrestling program ever broadcast here. My old man used to tell me stories about the crazy kooks on the roster, from local grapplers to international superstars. Loads of famous stars helped promote WCW to the world, like Gorilla Monsoon, Bruno Sammartino and Killer Kowalski.

This little wiki actually shows the roster, and it was definitely no small-town affair. They got everyone from Andre the Giant to Harley Race and Dusty Rhodes!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Championship_Wrestling_(Australia)

Sadly, just as the company was taking off and becoming known around the world, it lost its TV timeslot to World Series Cricket, and so with no sufficient revenue it shut down in 1978. And that was it! Pro Wrestling died in Australia until the mid 80's, when Vince McMahon's Rock N Wrestling boom swept the world. But we never saw a local wrestling show again. It almost seems like a surreal dream that never happened. All those famous stars flocking here, just a short drive from my house...

Here's one of the few surviving matches. It has a pretty funny outcome, and I like this Black Jack Slade dude. I have a soft spot for really obscure heels/jobbers.

To answer your first question, Magma, I started getting into wrestling in my early teens. I was never attracted to contemporary wrestling, only classic stuff.
I find today's productions too overblown, dramatic and fancy-pants. I like the more sturdy, methodical wrestling, and the colourful circus sideshow atmosphere - with the respectable dapper announcers, the kooky corrupt managers, the bombastic strongmen, and the fat gruff guys with voices like they've been chewing gravel.

Back in 2009 I went to HULKAMANIA: Let The Battle Begin, which was a touring show Hogan and Ric Flair did over here with other icons like the Nasty Boys and Jimmy Hart. It was surreal to actually see and be that close to these wild characters I'd only ever watched on screen. I still have the stadium seat tickets!

I wore a Captain Lou Albano badge to the show out of respect, since he had only just passed away at that time (2009). On the way to the show I remember thinking what I might say to Hulk or the others if I actually got to meet and greet them, and how I'd bring up my Lou Albano badge. Ha! (Not even a chance)
s-l225.jpg

Really cool history lesson. Never knew there was a local Australian wrestling presence. Not too surprising since wrestling has been a sort of international thing for some time. Who knows what might've been sadly.

I dunno how long you guys watched wrestling, but what did you think of the brand split?

I stopped watching like a year or so after the first did the brand split. I dunno how I feel about it : p On the one hand, it gives the feeling of competeing companies, like back in the WCW/WWF days, which is great. But at the same time, its still WWE, meaning theres just more champions and split PPVs and other such things, which isnt fun. I kinda think Id like it better without it.

I haven't really been watching but I have been keeping sort of up to date. I thought it was a good idea to get some of the lesser used talent more screentime. I've heard Smackdown is good while Raw is not.

On another note I think it's cool that they're bringing in a serious Cruiserweight division like what WCW had and not that silly Gillberg Hornswoggle stuff WWE had before.

Ever since WWE brought back WCWs cruiserweight title its been a joke : p Would be cool to see them take it seriously, yeah.

And wow, Smackdown being better? A few years back I remember reading about how Raw was the only watchable show. Is it still 3 hours long, btw?

Haha yeah 3 hours would be pretty annoying : p Would make room for soooo much filler : p

And aw D : > That makes me sad, I wanna see Goldberg return ; _ ; Hope he gets fair treatment and his character is taken seriously. Wonder what hell be doing.

Wonder if Goldberg will still be able to do his spear and jackhammer. The guy is 49 but it does seem promising since it'll be another match with him and Lesnar.

Haha Ive wondered that too, he has some pretty physically intense moves, wonder if he can do them in his old(er) age.

And I watched the Lesnar v Goldberg match, Ive heard it was really bad but I didnt think it was all that bad. Why do people say it was bad?

And I would like to see them go at it again : p Would wanna see Goldberg win though : p He should also get a title run.

Haha Ive wondered that too, he has some pretty physically intense moves, wonder if he can do them in his old(er) age.

And I watched the Lesnar v Goldberg match, Ive heard it was really bad but I didnt think it was all that bad. Why do people say it was bad?

And I would like to see them go at it again : p Would wanna see Goldberg win though : p He should also get a title run.

I think mostly because Lesnar and Goldberg just stared at each other for the entirety of the match. I'm not sure how much they fought but the one I saw was just them for 20 minutes staring at each other and Steve Austin was the ref, let's see if I can find the vid.

Do agree though if Goldberg or when he does return hopefully the match will be more exciting, I guess people just didn't like how they just walked around in circles and I didn't like that either. Definitely rooting for Goldberg either way though, find him a lot more interesting than Lesnar.

Back