Series you used to enjoy

Magma

Oldhead
Diamond City Leader
Any game series you guys used to enjoy? Maybe you didn't like the direction it took after a certain point? Maybe as you got older you realized it wasn't that great and became disillusioned? Maybe your tastes just changed?

I used to be a really big Sonic fan for a while when I was much younger. My interest waned around the time after Sonic 06 and the series started getting really sloppy. The community as we all know is terrible and also pushed me away from the series. Now after returning to the series after ignoring it for a while I'm not sure how to feel. I loved everything about the Adventure games but now the issues with them are evident and the whole attempt at trying to tell a serious story comes off as cheesy. As for the more recent games some are alright but most don't suit my taste.

What about you guys?

Crash Bandicoot, the trilogy, Crash Team Racing and Crash Bash!
I just loved those games back then! After that, I was never able to play the other games besides the Mutant games, and I was so disappointed...
I'm really glad to see them being remade, sad to see them come back to the PS4, which I can't affort. Still awesome, though!

Other than that, I used to be a fan of DKC, and the same happened, after DKC3, I haven't played any DK games, until DKC Returns came out, although this time, I loved the revival!

Feel that way for a bunch of series that I've grown up with. Guess the biggest example might be Castlevania and Mario. Castlevania more along the lines of how Konami now is just all about money, they've been making a bunch of their series including Castlevania into Pachinko games and they just take the bare minimum to make and people go crazy over it. It's honestly quite the shame when Konami makes full animated cut scenes for a Pachinko game than an actual Castlevania game as well which I'll link.

Personally I don't mind fanservice here and there but this is just going above and beyond that. Hilariously cheesy music it's just all bad however the Japanese audience will eat it up since Pachinko is quite popular there.

Another series would be Mario. More along the lines of how there hasn't been anything good in years, the last Mario game I was excited for was just SMG and that was years ago. With the new Odyssey I'm hoping Mario can come back to the old platforming days as it looks like a combination of SM64, SMS, and SMG.

I know this is going to sound controversial but i'll say
Mario
Yes I did just go there, now don't get me wrong, I still love the games and all, and I'm definitely still a Mario fan, but starting with NSMB2 my love for the series kinda waned for awhile. I still play the major stuff and the Mario Kart's, but I didn't really like the NSMBesque design they were going with for the series after a awhile. (Because it was bland and boring.) Hell it's a sign that I come back to the Galaxy duology and the older games more then I do the 3D duology and the NSMB games, I'm definitely glad that Super Mario Odyssey broke that trend, but whatever it'll be kept or not? Is still something I have to see for myself.

Also Smash for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
I agree with Crash Bandicoot and Mario, though my interest in Mario has been rekindled with Mario Maker and Odyssey.

In general I've lost interest in 2D platformers and turnbased-RPGs, which are two genres that I loved when I was younger but I just can't seem to get into anymore.

I know this is going to sound controversial but i'll say
Mario
Yes I did just go there, now don't get me wrong, I still love the games and all, and I'm definitely still a Mario fan, but starting with NSMB2 my love for the series kinda waned for awhile. I still play the major stuff and the Mario Kart's, but I didn't really like the NSMBesque design they were going with for the series after a awhile. (Because it was bland and boring.) Hell it's a sign that I come back to the Galaxy duology and the older games more then I do for 3D duology and the NSMB games, I'm definitely glad that Super Mario Odyssey broke that trend, but whatever it'll be kept or not? Is still something I have to see for myself.

Also Smash for obvious reasons.
I guess it wasn't controversial after all.

Ive actually lost interest in very few games I liked growing up : p

But, I can definitely say Smash Bros. Growing up with brothers to play it with, it was amazing. I loved it on N64, and then the Gamecube version, too. Then when I got my Wii, my older brother was long gone and my little brother and I were growing apart and becoming more busy. I was excited to get brawl, and I got it, and I didnt really have that much fun with it : p

I dont even care about the series now : p It seems like its only fun if you have someone to play it with, for obivous reasons. Otherwise its pretty pointless : p

Leisure Suit Larry, Last good game was LSL7, The one where he's on a cruise. After that they kinda lost what LSL was a about, It is basically King's Quest for adults. what the hell happened they ruined it. Sorry if i sound like an upset fanboy but i'm glad it fell out of relevancy, It's glory days are over.

I wouldn't say I've completely lost interest in Pokemon, but Pokemon Sun and Moon didn't interest me enough to buy. I'm not sure if I'm losing interest in the Sims, but I certainly haven't played any Sims game in a while and haven't gotten myself to play it again yet.

As @Ninja_Cat says, I've been slowly loosing interest from Pokemon, but more with the anime. After the Kalos episodes, I'm not really looking forward to the Sun/Moon episodes. I'll watch a few and maybe I'll be interested again.
Other than that, I used to be a huge fan of Fossil Fighters. I haven't played a Fossil Fighters game in a while, but I'd like to see a new installment to the franchise. I personally like the second game of that series.

I used to enjoy Kirby but the usually simplistic gameplay and lack of continuity have made me lose interest.

I started to lose interest in Mario because of the NSMB dark age, But Odyssey seems to be bringing said interest back. It was also why I was playing more platformers of my childhood and other franchises I liked such as Sonic and Pac-Man World. If those two can evolve I just asked myself - Why wasn't Mario evolving anymore?

I used to be really into Mario, but the last major game in the series I really played was either Super Mario Galaxy or New Super Mario Bros. U (if you wanna count that one as "major.")

Part of it was the price of the games when I started falling out of it. The newer games were simply too expensive, in a time when there were other great games that were cheaper to boot. Why buy a $50-60 Mario game that (for a while) wouldn't go down in price when I could check out some older games I missed out on for a lot cheaper and still get a fantastic experience? Not helped by the fact that at the time, I still had school, so a job wasn't even a consideration until the early 2010s, and even then, since I was still in school until I graduated, it was only summer jobs. I did ask for SMG as a birthday present, though, and it was a fantastic present.

And I had fun with New Super Mario Bros. U, but I think part of it was a lack of exposure to other NSMB games. Based on what I saw, it's definitely a really bad case of "you played one, you pretty much played them all." Probably even worse than what I saw accused of such things in other game series, which at least try to make new asthetics and stories for the levels and bosses, even if the gameplay themselves didn't add much new.

But my interest in Mario isn't what it used to be. And it's really sad I only now realized this. But I can still go back to the older games and enjoy them.

Another fine example would be Sonic. Now, I still find enjoyment out of many older games in the series, and I still find them fantastic experiences. But I do honestly regret not at least considering some criticisms raised when Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric was looking worse as the previews went on. In hindsight, I guess I was in denial.

Combined with a few other things, and me having a surprising amount of fun with Freedom Planet (which a lot of people seem to disagree with me on), I don't think I really need Sonic as much. It's reached a point where I could only think of Sonic Forces as "Looks good. Wonder how they'll screw it up this time."

Not helping matters is that while I met some of my closest online friends thanks to the Sonic community, I also met some of the worst people I ever bumped into because of the very same community. So forgive me if it seems like I might just mostly discuss the series in my own little group if I discuss it at all.

Could my interest in Sonic be revived? Probably. I don't feel like I can confidently say it's the end, period. But it sure feels like it's on break at the moment.

Last edited:
I typically remain faithful and committed to the franchises that I follow and rarely stray away from them, I've stuck with Sonic during his rough patches and I've stuck with Mario during what many would consider his stagnation. However if there is a franchise that kind of fell off my radar, it would probably the Halo series.

I really enjoyed the original trilogy with my buds back in the day and was super fascinated by the lore with the covenant, the flood, and what not. So much so that I even bought the Halo Legends DVD. But eventually kinda lost interest sometime after ODST.

I remember my little brother really being into Halo back in the Xbox days, and after a while he never looked back at Halo again.

It kinda seems like the whole world did that : p I dont think Ive ever seen a franchise become as big, and then suddenly vanish off the face of the earth, like I did with Halo, haha. I remember at the time I thought it was gonna be up there with Zelda or Final Fantasy, but nowadays I dont even remember that it was a thing unless someone brings it up : p

I guess thats more common with first person hooter games. I rememebr back in the N64 days Turok was pretty well liked. And it kinda died off too. I guess once you get the original idea out of the way, theres not really much else you can get out of a FPS game : p

I used to play COD in the glory days, i fell out of it around MW2 or WOW. I just don't like what they did with the newer ones its like Halo mechanics with the level design of rainbow six, i just isn't right and if you wanna change it to a power fantasy then don't keep the mechanics made for a game about the exact opposite of a flipping power fantasy.

Back