[Upcoming Game] Super Mario Odyssey (October 27th 2017)

Actually... if you could put those balloons in the air, that could make for some amazing jumping challenges on the level of Galaxy 2's most difficult green stars.

Anyone notice how this game lacks a few common enemies? It took me a while to realise there were no Boos nor Shy Guys to be found at all. There's a good variety of enemies regardless.

I'm more surprised there are no Boos than anything else. Or that Parabones appear, but Dry Bones don't.

Or perhaps that Eeries don't appear, given their resemblance to the Bonnetors in the game.

Well, not every Mario game needs every standard enemy. I mean Mario Sunshine didn't even have Goombas, among other standard Mario enemies. But that doesn't make it worse of a game, or even just less of a Mario game.
On the contrary, I think it's good, because it makes room for new creations, which could potentially be new classic enemies, new fan-favourites or simply lead to new and interesting game mechanics.
Like the Pokios! Aren't they pwecious? :Sx3:
Pokio_Icon_SMO.png

Or this thing:
Uproot_Icon_SMO.png

Or this guy:
Stairface_Ogre_Icon_SMO.png
Would he have been better, if he had just been another Thwomp variation? No, he would've been boring.
So I'm glad they made an entirely new design for him.

There are so many Mario games. And so many of 'em have Boos in them. So I'm not gonna be disappointed just because they weren't in one game.
Besides, we've already seen what it's like to play as a Boo. :STongue:
boo-mario.png

And besides besides, if an enemy hasn't been used in this game, maybe it'll be used in Odyssey 2! :sgrin:

Oh, I'm not sure it's necessarily bad some of the familiar monsters were missing. I loved how many new ones this game introduced, and it honestly made it feel like one of the fresher Mario games in years. In that sense, it's like a lot of the RPGs really. Lots of old references, but also a ton of truly original characters and enemies and settings to liven things up.

Yes, I am so glad that Odyssey got a bunch of new blood in the team. We desperately needed it.

Can't wait to see what's in store for the future of Mario.

Yes, I am so glad that Odyssey got a bunch of new blood in the team. We desperately needed it.

Can't wait to see what's in store for the future of Mario.

Hopefully a 2D Mario game that isn't New Super Mario Bros like and does for that what Sonic Mania did for Sonic.

2D Mario really needs to be livened up a bit, and made less boring in terms of aesthetics.

They should retcon that to one kingdom and four regions. It's simpler that way. How is Daisy the ruler of four kingdoms?

I'm pretty sure Subcon is located in another dimension. I.e. a world of dreams.

I remember the story also saying that after Mario had his dream, him and his friends went on a picnic and found a portal into a world like the one from his dreams.

So there's a certain amount of leeway for Subcon being a real place he visits and not just a dream.

Though saying that, there's also lots of evidence that dreams themselves aren't really treated as any less real in the Mario verse, and can be visited by people outside of those having the dream (see Mario & Luigi Dream Team). So hey, a Subcon world could work either way.

I'm pretty sure Subcon is located in another dimension. I.e. a world of dreams.
I'm pretty sure they revealed that Subcon kingdom doesn't meet limits when it comes to dimensions.
BS_SMUSA_Wart%27s_return.png

It sort of explains why Birdo, Shyguys, Pokeys, Ninjis and Bob-ombs are real characters and can interact with others.
BS_SMUSA_Mario_%26_Friends.png

Even it got its own good leader Mario could interact.

Last edited:
New costumes with pictures were leaked: More costumes discovered in Super Mario Odyssey datamine | Nintendo Wire.
Zombie Mario is clearly a reference to Zombie Wario, with the gloves torn with his fingers poking out of them like Zombie Wario's, the overalls torn similarly with the hole in the knee of one of them, he has an axe stuck in him like how Zombie Wario has a fork and nail, he's missing one of his shoes, and he's green like Zombie Wario's in-game sprites in 3 and 4

Last edited:
New costumes with pictures were leaked: More costumes discovered in Super Mario Odyssey datamine | Nintendo Wire. Zombie Mario is clearly a reference to Zombie Wario, with the gloves torn with his fingers poking out of them like Zombie Wario's, the overalls torn similarly with the hole in the knee of one of them, he has an axe stuck in him like how Zombie Wario has a fork and nail, he's missing one of his shoes, and he's green like Zombie Wario's in-game sprites in 3 and 4.
Can't that just be the standard zombie look, though?

Back