[Fan Content] Super Wario Land [Fan-game]

gameonion

Legendary Thief
Hey everybody!

This is a thread for a fan-game that I'm currently helping with. Scroll down for more info.
super_wario_land__temp__name__logo_by_gameonion-d9skwq7.png

What is this game?
This Wario Land-game is 100% fan-made. Nothing official. It will be free to download. It's not a ROM-hack. No demo yet. Okay? Okay. The game is being made in Multimedia Fusion 2.

Comparing this game to other Wario-games is hard. Imagine this game being like an open world Wario Land-game, along the lines of Super Mario 64... in 2D. Exploration is a huge factor in this game: While exploring, you can find various things. Soundtrack CDs for the sound test, money to buy items in the shop, heart-crystals (which give you extra hearts, kinda like Zelda's heart containers), costumes (more on that later) and various other things!

The health-system is just like the one found in Wario Land 4: You have hearts, and you can fill them by either finding more hearts or collecting these red orbs dropped by enemies. You start out the game with 3 hearts, but you can find heart-crystals to get more hearts.

Costumes can be switched at will. They don't work like transformations at all. Different transformations have different abbilities. I won't list them here right now, but there are a lot.

-----

Is this game done yet? If no, what's the progress?

Short answer: No, the game is not done yet.
There isn't a demo yet either.

That doesn't mean that we don't have anything to show though, we have a working build in our greedy, slimey developer hands RIGHT NOW! The problem? It's not done yet and there are bugs to be fixed. Depressing, we know... *sigh*

-----

Team-Members

Programmers

WwwWario (Lead Programmer)

Graphic-Artists

gameonion (HUD, Logo-Artist)

Spriters

BRIE (Main-Spriter)
WwwWario

Musicians

Alex Naveira / Bauerklos

Level Designers

WwwWario
gameonion
BRIE

Testers

All development team-members
TheDaKoopa

If you wanna join, we're currently searching for spriters that know how to animate.

-----

Screenshots, Videos, etc.
Short, low quality gameplay by TheDaKoopa 1 2
Check Alex Naveira's channel regularily for soundtrack-uploads.

-----​

If there are any questions you want to ask, feel free to do so!

Last edited:
Okay, first up, I've seen this on Reddit and Twitter, and it looks like it'll be awesome. So congrats, and keep going!

Secondly, given that @WwwWario is a member here, perhaps he might also be interested in talking about it? Might as well get the whole team in here too, we'd support the hell out of this project here at Wario Forums!

But a few questions now:

What's the story so far? Don't see much about it in this topic, and I'm curious what ties everything together.

How is it going be more difficult? Are the worlds going to be Wario Land 3 like in complexity, yet with a health meter from 4 and Shake It? More enemies? More difficult bosses?

Do any interesting characters reappear from other Wario games?

Okay, first up, I've seen this on Reddit and Twitter, and it looks like it'll be awesome. So congrats, and keep going!

Secondly, given that @WwwWario is a member here, perhaps he might also be interested in talking about it? Might as well get the whole team in here too, we'd support the hell out of this project here at Wario Forums!

But a few questions now:

What's the story so far? Don't see much about it in this topic, and I'm curious what ties everything together.

How is it going be more difficult? Are the worlds going to be Wario Land 3 like in complexity, yet with a health meter from 4 and Shake It? More enemies? More difficult bosses?

Do any interesting characters reappear from other Wario games?
Hey, thanks for the reply! Great to see some support from your side!

I actually didn't know Andy was a member here, neato. I might ask him to join into this little discussion.

Story wise, we thought about making it take place in some kind of alternate universe after the events of Wario Land 4. Remember the ending with Wario driving into the sunset? Well, in this universe, he's literally driving into the sunset. The sun isn't a the sun, it's some kind of weird portal transporting him into this new dimension. Won't go any further than this, we haven't really thought about it THAT much.

Imagine the levels being constructed like in Wario Land 4, just bigger, with some sub-sections. It's literally like Mario 64: Run around, find stars (stars in this case being special treasure, you need treasure to unlock new worlds). Difficulty wise, it's way too early to tell. We'll try our best to not make it a cake-walk. x)

Any interesting characters? We won't tell, that would ruin the surprise! But I heard this rumor that Wario will be in this game. Pretty cool, huh?

So yeah, might as well post some of the music from Alex Naveira's Youtube channel, since it's apparently being used in this game:
Hey, thanks for the reply! Great to see some support from your side!

I actually didn't know Andy was a member here, neato. I might ask him to join into this little discussion.

Story wise, we thought about making it take place in some kind of alternate universe after the events of Wario Land 4. Remember the ending with Wario driving into the sunset? Well, in this universe, he's literally driving into the sunset. The sun isn't a the sun, it's some kind of weird portal transporting him into this new dimension. Won't go any further than this, we haven't really thought about it THAT much.

Imagine the levels being constructed like in Wario Land 4, just bigger, with some sub-sections. It's literally like Mario 64: Run around, find stars (stars in this case being special treasure, you need treasure to unlock new worlds). Difficulty wise, it's way too early to tell. We'll try our best to not make it a cake-walk. x)

Any interesting characters? We won't tell, that would ruin the surprise! But I heard this rumor that Wario will be in this game. Pretty cool, huh?

Well, that's an interesting way to follow up on Wario Land 4. Guess it means that the game would take place between 4 and World, right?

Yeah, that seems a lot like Wario Land 3. The treasures there basically acted like Stars, Shines or Jiggies, albeit in chests you had to unlock. But this fan game is apparently going to take that a step further.

And hey, I can't blame you for not wanting to ruin the surprise. Just curious, on a vague note, will this have familiar Wario Land characters other than Wario?

Hi!

I'm very excited for this game. The idea I got for this game, or, the inspiration, came from many places. The inspiration is kind of a mix between Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, and Wario Land 3. What I love about WL3 is the fact that, as you progress, you unlock new moves and open new pathways, which allows you to come back to previous levels to find brand new areas you didn't know before. That's the kind of backtracking I love. I also love collecting stuff, which Mario 64 and DK64 does well. DK64 also has this idea that you unlock characters as you go, which allows you to enter new places in previous levels using these new characters. So, that spawned this game.

I didn't want to use custom made sprites for this game (some graphics will be cusotm made, some won't). I didn't want to because of two reasons:

1. It would take so much time, and I wasn't super-stoked to make a new game back a few weeks ago, and I'm not very good with it in the first place.
2. I found this amazing WL3 sprite sheet on MFGG of Wario Land 3 Wario with different costumes - exactly what I needed.

As usual, as more features are being added and more stuff are made, the coding becomes more complex, more frustrating, and more brain testing. It's hard, and sometimes tedious, but darn is it worth it. I don't say this often, but I'm actually very happy with how my work here is turning out.

Brie and Gameonion are very helpful, as they both provide ideas as well as graphics, and help promoting the game. Alex is so talented and makes amazing original music for the game, which will lift it up a lot. We haven't really decided exact story, exact gameplay, etc., but it's getting there. As for enemies, I'll try to keep it varied and challenging. Right now, I have about 5 different ones, which is almost more than any of my previous games, haha!

I can't wait to finish this engine, and start with the levels. Will be a lot of fun.

Hey WwwWario, nice to see you here!

But yeah, it seems like it could be good. And heck, as people have likely said by now, it's likely the closest we're getting to a new Wario Land game with how Nintendo is treating the series at the moment!

Wow!
This sounds amazing!
I am very intriguied by this!

I've always wanted to play a new Wario Land game, and this seems like it's going to be just what I wished for.

WwwWario, good to see you here. And great to see you being on the tram of this project.

You guys can be sure we'll all heavily support this!

So, from what I understood, the game will be an adventure with collectaphon elements, but in 2D.

The special treasures are needed to unlock new levels. Do they do it in the same creative ways (Treasure being functionally used), like they did in Wario Land 3?
Or is it simply collecting a certain ammount of treasures that unlovks new levels?

Is it more like Mario 64/Galaxy, where each treasure is a separate mission, and you get kicked out of a level after collecting a treasure?
Or BK, where you can spend as much time in the level as you want, and get multiple treasures?

Will the levels contain NPCs that will give you Quests and stuff?

Oh man, so much I wanna know! d:D

• Wow
Reactions: 607
So, from what I understood, the game will be an adventure with collectaphon elements, but in 2D.

The special treasures are needed to unlock new levels. Do they do it in the same creative ways (Treasure being functionally used), like they did in Wario Land 3?
Or is it simply collecting a certain ammount of treasures that unlovks new levels?

Is it more like Mario 64/Galaxy, where each treasure is a separate mission, and you get kicked out of a level after collecting a treasure?
Or BK, where you can spend as much time in the level as you want, and get multiple treasures?

Will the levels contain NPCs that will give you Quests and stuff?

Oh man, so much I wanna know! d:D
So for the treasure, it's probably more like Galaxy. We're planning like more than 12 levels, all of them having varied amounts of treasure. Including those Wario Land 3-ish cutscenes would include A LOT of work.

NPCs will probably exist, but not giving quests.

Wow... This is really looking to be an amazing project. It also seems like this one could make it to completion, unlike the Wario Land 3 hack.

Bye the way, if there's ever any need for a second composer, I'm completely willing to help.

Great job to Alex on the music, though!

Looking quite good!
One of the most immediate "problems" I see is that the projectile first goes left, than diagonally, which looks weird.

So, got any idea what the HUD will be like? The beta video one is obviously a bit of a placeholder, at least I'm assuming it is.

I wonder if Ashley or other familiar faces will be in this game...Anyways, can't wait to see how this game of yours turns out. Maybe I'll give it a try when it comes out. I used to play all sort of Nintend0-fan games, I loved the Mario ones the most. Well, good luck.

Back